Should I worry about volts

Lakehouse

Hello, iam new to you forum and have enjoyed researching many topics. I have a 2009 bighorn 3055rl. I have searched many forums, contacted Heartland, & Generac. I hear of the great success many have had with the Champion 3500/4000 generator. I am so confused, because i have a Generac 4000/6,600 EXL generator that i used with my 30 amp travel trailer and it preformed like a dream. I also have a 30 amp rv plug at the house for shore power. OK here is my data: I have a volt meter in the rv. Using my generator with nothing on I get a reading of 118 in the green area, with the bedroom ac on it reads 104 volts,with the living room ac on it reads 98. On shore power with out any thing turn on it reads 122 volts. Bedroom shows 119 and the living room shows 118 volts. Iam only trying to run one ac at a time. Has my generator lost its punch or should I just not worry about watching the volt meter? The ac does
run and cool but i do not want to damage them. All replies have been i only need a 3500 watt generator. What am i missing. Thanks in advance. Jim

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Hello Lakehouse and welcome to the forum.
Voltage is a concern for the good health of any motor. It sounds to me like your genny needs a little attention. 98 volts is not good. My EMS will shut me down at 104 volts which is where you are running the BR AC. If that voltage is at run speed on the AC, then the voltage will be even lower on startup. This is what kills motors.
Check around in your area for someone that repairs generators. Ask their opinion. Maybe a little rebuild is in order.

Peace
Dave

grizzlygiant

A long cord and/or undersize cord will cause a serious voltage drop when a high amperage appliance (read airconditioner) is connected.. Check the voltage AT THE GENERATOR as well at the appliance. Significant difference would indicate cord problems (too long or too small).

RollingHome

Lakehouse, All the replies are correct. First compare/verify your RV meter with a quality digital volt meter (DVM). Running your AC's at low voltage for anything other then a short period to diagnose a problem can permanently damage or shorten their life. A 15 Amp AC unit at 120 volts uses 1800 watts. At 98 volts that same AC draws 18.4 amps (1800/98 = 18.4). The compressor motor widings are sized for 15 not 18 amps so they heat up. Over heating leads to early death. That's why we should not run AC's on low volatge. I would get the genny serviced.

hoefler

Also check all the connections. Should be tight and free from corrosion. As said above, check the voltage at the generator first. If it is OK, start checking connections and wire size. The minimum size wire you should be using is 10 gauge. If you have adapted down to an extension cord, most likely there is your problem.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I agree with all the above posts. A "normal" long extenstion cord will kill voltage. Any long runs with smaller than 10 guage wire will not work. Compare the size of the 50 cord to what you are using.

Lakehouse

Thanks to all the replies to the question I asked about low volts when using my generator. Rolling Home I think wins the award for putting me on the right track. Thanks. I used a digital volt meter and everything is right on the money. Volts are good and reading are in the safe (green) area. I have done away with my needle volt meter. Thanks to all.

RollingHome

Lakehouse, I leave a AEC digital voltmeter plugged into a kitchen outlet in my Horn. When I arrive I plug it into the 120 VAC GFI duplex on the power pedestal. If it looks happy I turn off the 30 amp or 50 amp breaker. I then plug in the Horn and close the open breakers. Then I go inside and plug the DVM back into the kitchen duplex and verify the parks power.

This summer I caught an open ground using my AEC DVM, actually Patti noticed a "tingle" when she grabbed the handrail next to the steps. A higher quality Fluke DVM detected 70 volts AC between the rail and metal picnic table. The ground wire had burned off in the parks electrical panel after I had hooked up. The park obviously has some serious fault issues. The AEC has 2 LEDS which gives you a quick visual diagnostic tool (open ground, reverse polarity, open neutral, etc) without the need for a degree in electrical engineering. It's a handy little gizmo I purchased at an RV shop. It also allows me to see when I should turn off the AC when power goes too low. As others have said, you can also purchase a device which automatically does this. When I get rich and famous it's on the must have list... right after a thousand other must haves. AEC Volt Meter.JPG