New layout idea for 2013

kdrltd

My wife and I have owned our 2011 Grand Canyon for about 3 months. We love everything about it except two miniscule floor-plan things. We, like many other forum members, wished that the coach were a few inches longer so that the couch and the recliners were permanently swappable. Who wants to sit on the sofa to watch TV when there are TWO perfectly comfortable recliners to sit in!?!?? Honestly, I don't know of one single time the recliner on the off-door side has even been used due to the poor angle to the TV.
The second thing that would make our Grand Canyon the ultimate RV ever, would be the addition of a door side slide in the bedroom area. We removed our King Size mattress and down-sized to a queen for more clearance, but unless you are Gumby, or smaller than most Americans, the dressing area in the coach is simply inadequate.
As I write this, my wife has a request as well. Could you design a secure place to store the sink and stove top covers while either not in use or during travel? A simple carpeted under-sink or closet partition would suffice I imagine.
We love the bathroom and hallway layout, so please do NOT alter this. This idea is what drew us to your product away from all of the other manufacturers to begin with. We also love The kitchen peninsula and the appliance garage.

Thanks!

Kory Rozell

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Hello Kory and welcome to the forum. Lots of good shared information here.
I agree with you on a couple of extra inches in the back so the sofa can be left in place there. When we are set up I just swap furniture around. I have some glides that I keep in place under the back legs of the couch and remove the ones in the front of it when we travel. I also have some glides that I got from Flair that stay under the recliners and they stay in place all the time. Takes me just a few minutes to shuffle things around.
Adding another slide in the bedroom sounds like a good idea but I can think of a couple reasons for not doing that. In the past I saw a rig that had a slide in the BR. Being on the door side where I spend most of my time it was a real head knocker. It would not be for me. You would gain only 12 inches and the added cost would be something that may not appeal to everyone.
Storage for the sink covers? Good idea. That may be something that we could fabricate on our own. Some people may not want to give up that storage space for the covers.
We have a Bighorn 3585 which is the same basic floor plan as the GC. I do not like the bathroom. You like yours. So I guess no matter what floor plan they come up with, it will not appeal to everyone.
All JMO.
Hope you enjoy your new GC as much as we do our BH.

Peace
Dave

Camper51

Hello Kory and welcome to the forum. Lots of good shared information here.
I agree with you on a couple of extra inches in the back so the sofa can be left in place there. When we are set up I just swap furniture around. I have some glides that I keep in place under the back legs of the couch and remove the ones in the front of it when we travel. I also have some glides that I got from Flair that stay under the recliners and they stay in place all the time. Takes me just a few minutes to shuffle things around.
Adding another slide in the bedroom sounds like a good idea but I can think of a couple reasons for not doing that. In the past I saw a rig that had a slide in the BR. Being on the door side where I spend most of my time it was a real head knocker. It would not be for me. You would gain only 12 inches and the added cost would be something that may not appeal to everyone.
Storage for the sink covers? Good idea. That may be something that we could fabricate on our own. Some people may not want to give up that storage space for the covers.
We have a Bighorn 3585 which is the same basic floor plan as the GC. I do not like the bathroom. You like yours. So I guess no matter what floor plan they come up with, it will not appeal to everyone.
All JMO.
Hope you enjoy your new GC as much as we do our BH.

Peace
Dave

Dave has some very good ideas. He mentioned the storage for the sink covers. I'd also like to see storage for the stove covers when the stove is in use. We looked at a 5th wheel which had a slot in the behind the stove in front of the backsplash. Just lower the covers in the slot and they are out of the way. Good idea.

DougS

Doug S
Kory,

"My wife and I have owned our 2011 Grand Canyon for about 3 months. We love everything about it except two miniscule floor-plan things. We, like many other forum members, wished that the coach were a few inches longer so that the couch and the recliners were permanently swappable. Who wants to sit on the sofa to watch TV when there are TWO perfectly comfortable recliners to sit in!?!?? Honestly, I don't know of one single time the recliner on the off-door side has even been used due to the poor angle to the TV."

I just finished a mod on my 2011 GC by replacing my sofa with a smaller Jack Knife sofa that fits across the back and theater recliners where the sofa was. I lost a queen size sleeper sofa, but an air mattress fixes that. The sofa is 32 inches deep which gives me 3/8 inch clearance when the walls come in, close, but it works. No more furniture moving and recliners right in front of the TV.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
BC 3650.jpgWe also have added sliders under the couch for moving it from the side to the back once we get to our location. We leave the back 2 under the couch all the time, removing the front 2 to keep the couch stable during travel. Works great.

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
View attachment 18096We also have added sliders under the couch for moving it to the side once we get to our location. We leave the back 2 under the couch all the time, removing the front 2 to keep the couch stable during travel. Works great.

What is it that you have on the counters? Amy spotted them and wants to know if it is cutting boards??? and where do you get them? BTW we do the same thing with our furniture (The only thing we would change in our Bighorn)

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Dave - I have rubber-back shelving mats (paper) that I got from wallyworld. It comes in 2 different colors - beige or black. I also found a roll of it at Home Depot. Sorry but I can't remember who makes it but can let you know tomorrow as we are starting to pack to head to Bristol to the races next weekend.

archbarb

View attachment 18096We also have added sliders under the couch for moving it from the side to the back once we get to our location. We leave the back 2 under the couch all the time, removing the front 2 to keep the couch stable during travel. Works great.

Love the blanket & pillows, get memories "GO BIG ORANGE" ;)

Archie

davebennington

While we were at the show in Tampa we looked at the new Landmark Mesa as well as the Key Largo. We liked some things about both so with the help of Photoshop I put together something we call the "Key-Mesa or Mesa-Largo". Here is a picture. What do you think?

Attachments

• Key-Mesa-final-1 copy.jpg
    Key-Mesa-final-1 copy.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 166

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
While we were at the show in Tampa we looked at the new Landmark Mesa as well as the Key Largo. We liked some things about both so with the help of Photoshop I put together something we call the "Key-Mesa or Mesa-Largo". Here is a picture. What do you think?

I second that order. I want a key Mesa!

I would prefer that the tv be on the lift though. I love the look of the extra windows and all the furniture being the same height. Adore the pantry in the key largo/Rushmore. Also love the faucet in the island. Sort of wish it was offset from the stove so DH and I could be in the kitchen at the same time. Definitely love the second slide in the bedroom. Also big on my list... Nightstands and room to walk around the sides of the bed to make the bed. Husband and I are tall and feel like giants in most rvs. As a gal, I have hips. Most women have hips. We need room between the closet doors and the bed.

Alice

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
Dave - I have rubber-back shelving mats (paper) that I got from wallyworld. It comes in 2 different colors - beige or black. I also found a roll of it at Home Depot. Sorry but I can't remember who makes it but can let you know tomorrow as we are starting to pack to head to Bristol to the races next weekend.

Thanks! I'll pass it on.

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders

Yep, I agree Dave. Like I told you in Tampa when you sent me this, I'd order a new Key-Mesa today if it was available! I really love the combination you have put together.

Keith

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
ErikasRiggedRig.jpg

My mashup! A little San Antonio front and back, but the kitchen of the Augusta and the Bath with the mega shower from the Big Country 3650RL.

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader

You got it Dave. Adding the 4th slide AND Jay's 102" would make it huge on the inside.
I see you move the fridge too and gave it the key Largo island?? I guess the sink is in the island on the KL.

One thing they need to work on for the vanity. Because it is in the slide the mirror for some of us taller people is very low. Have to bend over to shave. We are going to add a wall mounted vanity mirror to correct it but one from the factory would be nice.

Camper51

I love the Key Largo, however there a few things I would change. First, I would center the fireplace under the TV, right now it's off to the right side and looks awkward. Also, I would eliminate the wood piece from which the pendant lights are suspended over the island. I think a very plain wood, or no wood at all, or just suspend the lights from the ceiling would look much nicer.

Willym

Great layout idea. I like it, but I won't show it to my wife!

jbeletti

My vote is for the SanLargo. San Antonio upstairs and Key largo downstairs. Of course, one is a side aisle and one is a center aisle, so not sure how that would work out.

Camper51,

I agree with you that the fireplace would look nicer if centered with the TV. If that was done, you would lose the computer pull-out tray. While you may not use that feature, some people actually do use it. So if the factory was to make the decision to center the fireplace, they'd also be deciding for all buyers, that there will be no place dedicated to place the laptop.

That said, for myself, I doubt I'll place my laptop there. But I do place my portable printer and portable scanner there when I need to use them.

Thanks for the feedback.

Jim

hogan

Past Mississippi Chapter Leader (Founding)
//heartlandowners.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=18147&d=1331489591&thumb=1

When can I order one of these?

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
My vote is for the SanLargo. San Antonio upstairs and Key largo downstairs. Of course, one is a side aisle and one is a center aisle, so not sure how that would work out.

Camper51,

I agree with you that the fireplace would look nicer if centered with the TV. If that was done, you would lose the computer pull-out tray. While you may not use that feature, some people actually do use it. So if the factory was to make the decision to center the fireplace, they'd also be deciding for all buyers, that there will be no place dedicated to place the laptop.

That said, for myself, I doubt I'll place my laptop there. But I do place my portable printer and portable scanner there when I need to use them.

Thanks for the feedback.

Jim

I have the computer pull-out shelf in our Landmark (07) and never use it. Seems like if you sit there you block access to that end of the sofa. Also I would rather use the laptop on top of my lap. (why do you think it is called a laptop:) ) I would rather have a drawer there.