removing the king mattress

twohappycampers

Okay, I'm afraid to even bring this up to my husband ;) kidding! So before I do, could someone please tell me how huge the job is to lug the king mattress out of here?? Any tips? Like hacking it to pieces first? :eek: Seriously, hubby will want to do it himself, and I'm not of any help, so ... hmmmm .... I started off kidding, but maybe that would be a good idea. What do you think?

I think we'll try modifying the base and getting a queen mattress. Is there anything to be particularly aware of in making such a change? It's great that there are all kinds of posts on here regarding such a mod, and I'll sure be going to them for advice. Just wondering if there is anything specific that anyone has come up with - any particular problem?

We were going to install a portable washer & dryer, but now it has become clear that this mattress has got to go! Can't afford both :eek:

Thanks - Lorna

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
No, it's not that heavy. Don't hack it up. I would donate it to a homeless shelter, or church. That's what we did.
Here's a good place to get a great RV size mattress. http://www.plushbeds.com/
Click on RV mattress. We have the 8" memory foam King. Love it. Trace.

Speedy

To keep the mattress under control as your DH moves it I suggest using a couple of ratchet straps or two of his belts to roll/fold it in half to make it easier to move.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Getting it out of the bedroom is relatively easy, so getting it out the door should be a snap. BUUTTT, if you pulled it off to tile the bed platform and want to put it back, then you've got an angry gorilla to wrestle. For some reason, it came off into the hall a lot easier than it went back on.

twohappycampers

Getting it out of the bedroom is relatively easy, so getting it out the door should be a snap. BUUTTT, if you pulled it off to tile the bed platform and want to put it back, then you've got an angry gorilla to wrestle. For some reason, it came off into the hall a lot easier than it went back on.

Strange, huh? Now I'm thinking a good idea would be to buy a new mattress from somewhere that delivers and sets up, then it's up to them! Oh, wait, I remember now that some furniture stores will remove the old mattress, take it for donation (for a small fee), and set up the new mattress. When we bought our new sofabed, that's what they did. I was so embarrassed :eek:, actually, when they hauled out the sofa-airbed, then it really showed up what a poor quality it was, and not worn out because we had it for only a month. They muttered something about maybe just taking it straight to the dump.

Lorna

twohappycampers

VERY GOOD DESCRIPTION!! AN ANGRY GORILLA TO WRESTLE!! :mad:

- Lorna

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Hi Lorna
I have made a post about this before. We replaced our mattress with a natural rubber mattress and love it. Our chiropractor suggested. When we ordered it we told them to make it 71" X 80" rather than 72" X 80" making it easier to get in and out.

There are many that are modifing the platform and adding a Queen bed. For me a Queen is to small. Making the bed 71" wide did not make any differene to our comfort just easier to remove and replace on the platform. There are many places to get a custom mattress. Search the threads for more informtion.

BC

caissiel

We changed from king to queen on the 2nd week of ownership.

1 The mattress just slides of and in the hall and out the door.
2. Reduced the width of the platform to 59" wide from 71"
3. It was easy move the sides in, on both sides and made 6" of valuable space.
4. Went shopping for a queen size bed and choose the bed we were both comfortable with, as we both like indvidual coil matresses that keeps or backs in great shape.

twohappycampers

Hi Lorna
I have made a post about this before. We replaced our mattress with a natural rubber mattress and love it. Our chiropractor suggested. When we ordered it we told them to make it 71" X 80" rather than 72" X 80" making it easier to get in and out.

There are many that are modifing the platform and adding a Queen bed. For me a Queen is to small. Making the bed 71" wide did not make any differene to our comfort just easier to remove and replace on the platform. There are many places to get a custom mattress. Search the threads for more informtion.

BC

Thanks! We still need to do some looking around for what kind of mattress. Of course, $$ comes into play. Maybe custom doesn't add as much much to the cost as I assume, though. We could then get a mattress to exactly fit the platform as it is now, or still cut it down the 3 inches on that left side to give us more walking-by room that we'd like, but the mattress would fit the platform exactly and there'd be no excess platform to catch our legs when getting in and out of bed.

Custom, huh? Thanks for bringing that up. And I'm going to add the natural rubber mattress to my list of check-it-outs. Lorna

JohnDar

Thanks! We still need to do some looking around for what kind of mattress. Of course, $$ comes into play. Maybe custom doesn't add as much much to the cost as I assume, though. We could then get a mattress to exactly fit the platform as it is now, or still cut it down the 3 inches on that left side to give us more walking-by room that we'd like, but the mattress would fit the platform exactly and there'd be no excess platform to catch our legs when getting in and out of bed.

Custom, huh? Thanks for bringing that up. And I'm going to add the natural rubber mattress to my list of check-it-outs. Lorna

Wait a minute! I thought you Canucks were a hardy lot. You don't need no sissy girly spongy mattress with all those pine trees around. Just chop down a few boughs (remove the pine cones and squirrels) every couple of days, and you'll be camping large. :D

twohappycampers

Wait a minute! I thought you Canucks were a hardy lot. You don't need no sissy girly spongy mattress with all those pine trees around. Just chop down a few boughs (remove the pine cones and squirrels) every couple of days, and you'll be camping large. :D

I'm at a loss for a clever retort! You just don't know me - I'm one of the biggest babies out there, Canuck or not :p

ParkIt

Doing the same right now, getting the mattress out wasn't too bad but we have padded furniture skids that made it a lot easier. I noticed the base on ours was built for a Queen bed so when I lifted the top, the wood platform was already marked to cut for a queen (ours could be ordered with a king or queen, they threw a king in it). The tension arms are also in far enough that cutting the base won't change where they sit nor does any other hardware once its cut and fastened back down. Taking off the base was easy - getting that out to cut it isn't! We are wondering if we should just put the saw horses under it in the bedroom and cut it there but I'm putting up painters plastic to keep the fine sawdust from sticking to everything.

JohnDar

My recommendation would be to use a jigsaw, not a circular saw, to cut it inside. A lot less dust blowing all over. If you have a small shop vac or a central vac in the rig, hold the hose just in front of the blade and you'll catch the majority of the dust.

57chevyconvt

I like John's idea of adding some floor covering to the platform. The partical board sure play a number on the bed linens. It would also make the mattress easier to move side to side when making the bed.

Jim

Birchwood

Heartland should be ashamed of your comments with getting rid of furniture only after a month but
we are also replacing the original furniture from the mattress to the dining set.As I have stated before
the furniture is just a stage for selling the RV and not met for real use.
We replaced our king with a residential queen and its great.King sets are high maintenance and we don't have a maid
to make the bed each day.Owners soon realize that a king in a room 10*12 feet is a little tight!
I modified the bed frame to accommodate the queen and still provide the maximum storage.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Heartland should be ashamed of your comments with getting rid of furniture only after a month but
we are also replacing the original furniture from the mattress to the dining set.As I have stated before
the furniture is just a stage for selling the RV and not met for real use.
We replaced our king with a residential queen and its great.King sets are high maintenance and we don't have a maid
to make the bed each day.Owners soon realize that a king in a room 10*12 feet is a little tight!
I modified the bed frame to accommodate the queen and still provide the maximum storage.

My last SOB had a queen. I ordered my BH with a king and we like it. Our mattress is 72"X80" and it's no problem getting the bed to slide for making it etc. Plenty of walkin' around the bed room. Bigger room than some maybe? I don't know.
I'm not a big guy 5'11" and I can't imagine going back to a queen. JMHO.
I like room to move, so I don't disturb the DW everytime I turn. If I am going to spend a third of the rest of my life in bed, I want it to be as big and comfortable as practical

Also, my two more cents. We have spent 270 consecutive days in our current BH and have had no problems at all with the furniture.(With the exception of upgrading the mattress) All seems reasonably comfortable and is holding up well. Trace

twohappycampers

Well, we may need good quality furniture more than some, because it's our one and only home and therefore has to be sturdy and comfortable because it gets a lot of use.

Your comment about the furniture just being a stage for selling the RV and not meant for real use struck me as funny. I'm imagining a sign to that effect when you first step in :D And you know how you go to a department store and their entertainment centers or tv stands or whatever have a pretty realistic cardboard tv in them to give you the "idea"?! Well, imagine if the furniture was all cardboard to "give you the idea". And you then knew you'd have to put in your own furniture. Being silly?! I guess ... :eek: But that's what a lot of us are doing anyway.

Birchwood

Just want to express that our Pinehurst is a very strong RV with high quality woodwork.framing and drivetrain.
To date its never let us down with everyday living and its been over two years of continual living.
Its just that Heartland may of went cheapo on the furniture or they may of got "riped off" buy
these companies trying to make a quick dollar.We are very proud of our Pinehurst and completely satisfied
with its dollar value.

twohappycampers

My last SOB had a queen. I ordered my BH with a king and we like it. Our mattress is 72"X80" and it's no problem getting the bed to slide for making it etc. Plenty of walkin' around the bed room. Bigger room than some maybe? I don't know.
I'm not a big guy 5'11" and I can't imagine going back to a queen. JMHO.
I like room to move, so I don't disturb the DW everytime I turn. If I am going to spend a third of the rest of my life in bed, I want it to be as big and comfortable as practical

Also, my two more cents. We have spent 270 consecutive days in our current BH and have had no problems at all with the furniture.(With the exception of upgrading the mattress) All seems reasonably comfortable and is holding up well. Trace

Maybe in your Bighorn the manufacturer put in better quality furniture than what we had in our Big Country. Sounds like it. :( I won't go into our long list of complaints. I am personally glad it was so bad that even my husband couldn't wait to get new stuff. Usually he says "good enough", "why spend even more money", but not in this case. :)