Towing Question

charris57

We just got a new tow vehicle. A F-350 6.0 super cab, 4x4, We have a 2900MK. After installing the hitch and backing up to the camper a concern has come up. Being the truck is several inches taller than my previous tow vehicle we noticed that after all hooked up and the landing gear retracted my camper no longer rides level. We have approx 6-7 inches clearance from the truck bed rails. My questions is how low can I go if I lower the hitch height and still have a safe clearance between the bottom of camper and the bed rails. I can lower the hitch a few inches but dont want to risk bringing the camper closer to the truch bed rails, should i just tow with the kingpin higher and not worry about the trailer being level..Thanks

K

Ken Washington

Steve,
I think that is the best you can do with it. I would not lower it anymore if you only have 6-7 inches of clearance.

Ken

Pulltab

I agree that 6" is about the minumum you want. If you go less and get any off camber bumps backing up or pulling out you will not be happy with the result. Towing on flat ground is obviously not a problem, at least in the perfect world. You may have to look at lifting the trailer with shackles or spacer blocks under the springs. I am assuming here that your trailer sets on top of the axle and not underslung.

svd

I have an 01 F-350 that is about the same. The other option you have is to lower the rear of the truck. If yours is like mine, there is a spacer block at the rear springs. I have been told I could exchange the block with one from an F-250 to lower it an inch and not cause problems. I am just towing as is.