removing the brown vinyl headboard

twohappycampers

How is the brown vinyl headboard attached, and how can it be removed, and does it make a mess of the wall behind it when you do so? I want to replace it with something else, don't know what yet. Can the vinyl be removed, leaving a kind of board-thing that could be recovered and replaced?

Maybe someone has figured a way to recover it that looks good? Maybe without removing it at all? Any ideas, please?

Thanks. Lorna

Speedy

Lorna, From all my investigating I have found that most items attached to the walls are screwed to the wall. I would first feel around the edge of the headboard for screw heads and then confirm what you find with the help of a flashlight. I'm willing to bet the headboard is fastened to the wall with 6 or 8 screws. Once removed you could easily recover it of have a new headboard made in a woodshop. Even a furniture store might have something that would fit.

Hoody

Our headboard fell off the wall while we were traveling. It was held onto the wall with caulking glue in the center and 4 small nails in each corner. The glue hadn't made any contact with the wall completely. Don't know if this will help you are not.
Good Luck

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
trailer mods 041 (Large).jpgtrailer mods 040 (Large).jpgtrailer mods 039 (Large).jpg

Ours was held on by screws hidden behind little round hole plugs. When I reinstalled it, I used moly fasteners. If its the inserts that you want to replace or recover its not hard. "IF" its like ours was. Pat found some stuff (thin plywood) that looked like leather at Lowes. I also cut the top off the ends posts, made a shelf and installed it before the head board was reinstalled to the wall. Here are some pix.

twohappycampers

Our headboard fell off the wall while we were traveling. It was held onto the wall with caulking glue in the center and 4 small nails in each corner. The glue hadn't made any contact with the wall completely. Don't know if this will help you are not.
Good Luck

So I could try just banging on the wall and maybe it would just fall off? That would be cool :cool:

twohappycampers

View attachment 16464View attachment 16465View attachment 16466

Ours was held on by screws hidden behind little round hole plugs. When I reinstalled it, I used moly fasteners. If its the inserts that you want to replace or recover its not hard. "IF" its like ours was. Pat found some stuff (thin plywood) that looked like leather at Lowes. I also cut the top off the ends posts, made a shelf and installed it before the head board was reinstalled to the wall. Here are some pix.

Looks great, thanks! Wish our headboard was like yours, but unfortunately it's just some kind of board fully covered with brown vinyl (padded) material in stitched sections that are at a bit of a slant. Someone's idea of artistic or attractive, but not mine. :p

twohappycampers

Lorna, From all my investigating I have found that most items attached to the walls are screwed to the wall. I would first feel around the edge of the headboard for screw heads and then confirm what you find with the help of a flashlight. I'm willing to bet the headboard is fastened to the wall with 6 or 8 screws. Once removed you could easily recover it of have a new headboard made in a woodshop. Even a furniture store might have something that would fit.

How much are you willing to bet? :) Never mind, you sound pretty confident so I'll pass. You sound as though you know what kind of headboard I'm talking about, and not one of the nice wood ones. If it is attached with screws and not glued on, it won't make much of a mess coming off which would be good. I'm thinking of changing from a king to a queen, and the existing headboard would then be off-center from the mattress by 3 inches - just enough to bug me. I can be SO picky!! :eek: Lorna

archbarb

Lorna, let me come help you bang around on the wall!!!! Nothing like a little fun to ignite the day! We, too, also have the "slanty thing"...I have thought about creating a new one but fear of reprisal from Archie stops me...this contemporary look has never boded well with me in our "big country", the operative words! I'm anxious to see the finished product...keep us updated!
Barb

twohappycampers

Lorna, let me come help you bang around on the wall!!!! Nothing like a little fun to ignite the day! We, too, also have the "slanty thing"...I have thought about creating a new one but fear of reprisal from Archie stops me...this contemporary look has never boded well with me in our "big country", the operative words! I'm anxious to see the finished product...keep us updated!
Barb[/QUO

Hi Barb. When will you be here? I'll put the coffee on. By the way, I live in British Columbia! :D

You hit the nail right on the head (no lame pun intended). That's what bugs me so much about that headboard, and the now-long-gone bedspread. Hadn't given it much thought, but that contemporary look is really at odds with our Big Country's, isn't it? To my way of thinking, anyway.

Is there anything you've done to your place to customize it? I'd be interested to know.

Oh, don't mind Archie, I'm sure he's more bark than bite! Hope so! :eek: Does he like the headboard the way it is? With Doug almost everything "looks fine" to him, why change it? Anyway, I have this idea of covering the headboard somehow without removing it, like some kind of slipcover. No, that's not a good description, and I haven't really given it much thought to figure out how I could do it and have it look good. But if we could put our heads together, we may not have to involve our husbands at all. And if it was some kind of thingie that somehow slipped right over the existing, it could be removed.

For now I'm trying my best not to enlist Doug's help in things that aren't necessary. So that leaves me trying to come up with ways to make the changes that will make me happy, but make them by myself without spending too much money. Once he retires he'll again have the energy to do more projects. Right now it's all he can do to work his job every day. :(

Okeydokey, musn't get carried away here. Take good care - Lorna

archbarb

Lorna, I'm trying to find a good reason for us to visit my brother in Vancouver...Reason #1, Lorna needs help...reason #2, I miss seeing my brother...reason#3, I just love to decorate at other's expense LOL!!!!
We loved the BC because of it's laid back feeling...not really country but certainly more on the easy living side! When we ordered ours, the first thing I said was...NO border trim...I needed a blank palette. Since my comfy colours are red and brown, I immediately went into RED mode. Most folks that know me understand about me and the red...even Arch loves red (thank goodness)! My kitchen at home is inspired by vintage 50's diner stuff and so I started by adding red "stuff" in the BC kitchen! I try to make and find things that make me happy! That's my credo!! When we picked up our rig in Elkhart, the first thing I did was get rid of the horrible comforter and replaced it with a cozy red corduroy one. Down the road I'm sure I'll have an epiphany about the headboard but for now the red comforter is my focal point! In the living area I found an old red checkered tablecloth and the most amazing 1950's tropical, happy curtain that I throw over the red cloth...fun, fun!! That with 1950's napkin holder, salt and peppers, and some original 50's advertising stuff is keeping me happyfor now!! Do you remeber Humpty Dumpty potato chips...when we were in the Keys this summer I found an original large glass jar with the HD logo...if I could safely put it in the rig, I'd do it...I think I would die if it broke!
Enough of my rambling....I am anxiously awaiting your epiphany for the headboard!! Keep us updated. Where are you parked in Victoria...I might show up!!!LOL
Barb

twohappycampers

Well, I just gave the headboard a bit of a yank on the corners. Appears Hoody was right. Nails on the corners, and I'm guessing the same glue in the middle. There are no nailheads visible on the surface of the vinyl, so somehow they hid them, maybe banging the nails in the board first, then covering the front with the padded vinyl, then smashing it into the wall?

I don't think trying to recover this thing is going to look any good, I still have to think on that. A nice ready-made headboard from a second-hand shop maybe? Not wood, unless I were to paint it. Maybe brass? Maybe wrought iron - oh, hey, now there's a good idea! With the other wrought iron in here.:) That got me smiling - also smiling at the person on this forum who has called it "rot" iron. Sorry if I'm offending someone with that remark, I just have to get my jollies wherever I can find them. Hey, it does kind of look like "rotten" iron, hey?

Does anyone have any ideas to share on a headboard?

Take good care! - Lorna

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We like that mirrored headboard we have in our Landmark. It makes the bedroom look bigger and also reflects the light to make it brighter when we want it that way.

twohappycampers

Hi Barb. Sorry I've taken this long to reply, I misplaced you! I love red, too! It's always been my favourite colour. Maybe because whenever I wear something red, I always get lots of compliments. And it just makes me happy! My first baby's nursery was red & white. You may just have inspired me to finally decide on what colour I want to bring in here.

I'd love to be able to spend some time in your place, sounds like a happy place that's for sure. Thanks for sharing your ideas. And Doug and I, too, found we felt more comfortable, and more at home, in this one. The others felt too formal or something.

No epiphany on the headboard. I'll let you know when it strikes! How about you?

With the curtains, I'm playing around with the idea of making them reversible. Maybe a solid on one side and patterned on the other. I get bored easily, and the curtains and couch cushions and dining chair seats are just about all I have to play around with in here. If I were to make them all reversible, I could have a quick & easy change-a-roo. Just thinking ....

Okeydokey, I'm outa here! Lorna