Cabinet doors coming off hinges

hotonpi

Hi all - I own a 2011 Cyclone 3950 HD Edition. I'm having a number of issues, but one that is really annoying is the cabinet doors over the dinette keep coming off their hinges. There are two rubber plugs that go into pre-drilled holes in the door. The hinge screwws into these plugs. Well, the plugs pull right out and the door is left hanging. Gluing the plugs in has not solved the problem. Any suggestions?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Hi all - I own a 2011 Cyclone 3950 HD Edition. I'm having a number of issues, but one that is really annoying is the cabinet doors over the dinette keep coming off their hinges. There are two rubber plugs that go into pre-drilled holes in the door. The hinge screwws into these plugs. Well, the plugs pull right out and the door is left hanging. Gluing the plugs in has not solved the problem. Any suggestions?

That's a new construction technique to me.:confused: Perhaps you could remount the door with real hinges into the wood by offsetting them slightly from where the rubber plug holes are.

Manzan

I had this problem (along with a lot of others) and dealer used a bit of glue and longer screws. No problem since.

ncc1701e

I have the same problem with the over head doors in our 2011 Sundance. The doors I've fixed so far have held through a trip that logged just over 4000 miles on the trailer. In the next week I'm taking all the remaining doors down to be clued before heading to SC. I use a wall bond for holding paneling in place. I got mine at Lowe's. There are several different brands. Real trick is to pop the plugs out and get enough bonding agent in the hole to make a tight fit. Ours were drilled so poorly the plugs popped out with no problem. Look for a good quality panel clue/bond. Do not use something like Elmer's clue, simply wanted do it.

mdhill

While my 2010 3850 Cyclone was still under warranty I had 4 cabinet doors and the face of the drawer under the fridge replaced. They just fell apart. I first tried to just repair but wasn't going so good so asked for new doors.

pegmikef

There are two rubber plugs that go into pre-drilled holes in the door. The hinge screwws into these plugs. Well, the plugs pull right out and the door is left hanging. Gluing the plugs in has not solved the problem. Any suggestions?

Rubber plugs? That's a new one on me. Mine were plastic or some other composite material. I used glue and a little longer screw so it would bite into the wood. 7000 miles later, they are still holding.

hotonpi

I spoke with the Heartland Service Center about this today. Here's the scoop: I picked up my new 3950 HD Edition at Wilkins RV (Bath, NY) in April of this year. Since I purchased it at the Hershey, PA, show in September of 2010, they are telling me I am now out of warranty. Apparently this happens a lot - people purchase an RV at a Fall show and pick it up in the Spring. Unfortunately the dealers don't tell you that your camper's "in service" date starts on the day you buy it, not the day in which you take delivery.

Fortunately, I purchased an additional 7 year extended warranty from a second source, so I should be able to get all the major issues resolved. As far as the cabinets go, Heartland agreed to send out new doors and hinges to replace these that are falling apart.

So, although I'm unhappy about the warranty games, I am very pleased with Heartland's willingness to work with their customers. I have to say that Eric McDaniels (the service advisor I spoke with) was professional, sympathetic and very helpful.

JJnLilly

Had the same issues in our Greystone. Rather than hauling it back to the dealer, I took care of it myself. A little gorilla glue in the hole keeps the plastic screw holder in-place. Looks like the machine making the holes is a silly millimeter off.