Best Tires for tow vehicle?

Tweedy

I need to replace the tires on my 2004 Silverado Duramax truck. We tow a 2011 Big Country 5th wheel trailer. I'm looking for advice on the best tire to buy.

Chuck

:rolleyes:

Speedy

Good day Chuck,
From my experience I would vote for Michilin as far as brands go. They have given me the longest mileage of any tire I've owned. I have running their mud/snow LT tires for over ten years and get just over 80,000 miles a set. These are of course load range E, 16".

Delaine and Lindy

Hi Chuck, I don't know what the best tire is but I can tell you what has worked best for my Trucks. My 2012 Chevy 3500HD DRW's came with Michelin's, I have also run Toyo's because the Toyo's were much cheaper than the Michelins. I ran the Toyo's on my Frieghtliner and they gave excellent service. I also ran a set of Toyo's on my 2008 Chevy Silverado 1500. I really like the Michelins but they have gotten so expensive so I tried the Toyo's, I will go with Toyo's on the 3500HD when I replace them. I also will put a set of Toyo's on my 5th wheel next spring. I try to replace the 5th wheel tires ever 3 years. I have Goodyears G114's on the 5er now and they are wearing great. But again they are very expensive? Good Luck with your choice... Happy Trails......

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I vote for Michelins also. I have always gotten great service with long lasting tires.

Tweedy

Thanks - your input is appreciated. In fact I've got Michilin LT's on now and have been perfectly happy with them. Unfortunately I wore the rear tires down prematurely from under inflation so now the need to replace...sigh !

Tweedy

Thanks Delaine. The info on Toyo tires is interesting because a dealer here is trying to steer me in that direction...but the cost is higher than Michelins - $1312 for set of 4 mounted and balanced, compared to $1060 for the Michelins at Costco. Either way new tires are expensive but I mainly want to get the best quality available.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I just replaced my road tread Michelins (MS, I believe), with the Michelin A/T 2. It's a great all purpose asphalt/dirt road tire with low road noise. Much better traction than my road tread Michelins were.
I got mine at Sam's, but I believe I have seen them at Costco for about the same price. I have run Michelins on all my vehicles as long as I can remeber and have been very happy with them. Trace

Last edited:

ChopperBill

Got Michilens on both out pickups. Thats all the will ever go on ever. My dad has a Cadillac that he put on Toyo about 3 years ago. Every time I ride with him I ask him when he is going to get rid of those tires. Sure didnt sound or ride like a Caddy. He was going to buy a new Caddy but decided to just get some tires. Put on Michelins. Never saw a happier guy. Says he got a new Caddy just by buying tires.

jnbhobe

Think about going to LT-265-75-R16 instead of LT-245-75-R16. You will gain 373# capacity per tire.

Birchwood

Purchased a set (6)of Firestone Transform HT installed on the dually for $805 US.Good Highway tire in the south where there is no snow.Very
smooth good wearing tire.

Arkansas1

Past Arkansas Chapter Leaders
I'll have to go with Birchwood, I to installed Firestone Transforce tires and have had very good luck with them and a comfortable ride with and without a load, and have seen these on many other tow vehicles. JMO :)

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
My 2010 F350 came with BF Goodrich but I will replace them with Michelins when the time comes.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
My truck had Bridgestones. This time I installed the Firestone Transforce. Its the same tire except they are cheaper. They are wearing great. Have 15K on them and look new. I did however put in the LT 265-75-16R's for higher weight rating. Going up to that tire size does not make your speedo read slower.

Zeman

Original Michelin LTX M/S had 60K + and had months more life in them. Replaced them because of winter weather with Michelin Cross Terrains. Even wearing, smooth, quiet, and long wearing.

Tweedy

It seems there are any number of high quality tires that will do the job. However, the Michelin name seems to predominate both from forum feedback and my own research and as it turns out they are a little cheaper than some others. I also want an AT tread as we live in snow country. The new Michelins will be installed next week. Thanks for all the advice.

MC9

My good friend is a trucker and after a lot of research I wanted the best tire I could buy. I leave MI before the snow flies so that puts a little spin on things. I chose the Bridgestone Dura Vis HT 500 for the F250. 265 70 17.

MC9

I should have added, I also put a new set on the Sundance, Firestone/Bridgestone Transforce HT in 245 75 16. I could have picked up a bunch more capacity in 235 85 16 except, I was stuck with a maximum diameter of 30.7 in.

gpshemi

I'm the odd man out here for sure, but my Michelin's had to be warrantied for cracking at 1500 miles. I have Hankook tires on there now and I have to say...these are probably the best tires I've ever owned. YMMV

dougw

If I have a choice, I won't be using michelins again any time soon. I hate the way the they wear as well as the driving "feel" they have.

Manzan

I have a Suburban with Michelin tires and I love them. Been on a couple of years and they give me a smoother ride and no handling problems at all. But then I am not hauling a big 5er. I also checked the date of manufacture to make sure they had not been sitting in some warehouse for a few years.