Gas line pinched with slide in - FYI

dalspot

We had been having trouble trying to get the fridge going while going down the road - wanting to cool it prior to getting to the destination.

The last two trips out, we couldn't even get the stove to light with the slide in - all was well once we got set up.

Turns out the gas line had been routed in such a way that it did not move properly with the slide in and was getting bent in half, not allowing any gas to get to the stove or fridge.

We adjusted a couple of wire ties on it, and at last check, all was ok.

We are having the line replace tho as we feel it was compromised.

So if anyone is having trouble with getting the fridge to cool while traveling - check your supply line.

Karen

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Tom, I am having the same problem. I took my BH in for a repair. The tech noticed when the slide was in the gas line is severely kinked. He asked me if the refer was working when we were in motion. I told him yes and he was surprised that any gas was getting through at all. I had never noticed it, having not looked under when the slide was partially out.
He ordered me a new one because he said once it is kinked, it is weak and won't be safe, in his opinion.
Mine is still under warranty. Trace

Last edited:

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
We had been having trouble trying to get the fridge going while going down the road - wanting to cool it prior to getting to the destination.

I'M READING THIS AS YOU DON'T LEAVE THE FRIDGE ON ALL THE TIME. TURN IT ON AND LEAVE IT ON. IT WILL BE JUST FINE. THEY ARE DESIGNED TO RUN 24 HOURS A DAY JUST LIKE YOUR HOME FRIDGE WHICH RUNS FOR 10-15 YEARS.

irvin56

Thanks for the heads up on this issue. Both mine are in my slide. North Trail 31QBS. Never thought of it. I will now check my line also before I use again in spring. I never use propane for fridge , I always have power at CG's, as once it's cold and door is closed, if take many hours for inside to cool. I never run with my propane turned on at the bottles. The newer tanks have the safety in the valves, but i have seen accidents that are burning from the bottles being on as a small leak will not stop the safety valve from closing. I have never had a problem yet with any unit I pull, but is is called an ACCIDENT for a reason. Anyplace, Anyone, Anyhow It may or may not be your fault but it can happen. My wife was in a trailer that blew up from a propane leak, if she even thinks a leak is around I need to check it out immediately.

wdk450

I try to look at the status lights on my refrig after putting the slides in. The "Check" light will come on if it doesn't get gas.

The last two trips out, we couldn't even get the stove to light with the slide in - all was well once we got set up.

Turns out the gas line had been routed in such a way that it did not move properly with the slide in and was getting bent in half, not allowing any gas to get to the stove or fridge.

We adjusted a couple of wire ties on it, and at last check, all was ok.

We are having the line replace tho as we feel it was compromised.

So if anyone is having trouble with getting the fridge to cool while traveling - check your supply line.

Karen

Lance & Jo

Thanks for the heads up. Got half way down the Baja and thought maybe had a burner problem but after checking with the slide in just confirmed the thing actually needs gas to run! Anyhow quick fix and on the road again

dalspot

Kenny - we only go out every couple of weeks...

I'M READING THIS AS YOU DON'T LEAVE THE FRIDGE ON ALL THE TIME. TURN IT ON AND LEAVE IT ON. IT WILL BE JUST FINE. THEY ARE DESIGNED TO RUN 24 HOURS A DAY JUST LIKE YOUR HOME FRIDGE WHICH RUNS FOR 10-15 YEARS.