De-Laminating Skin Under 5th Wheel Overhang

Texas5er

I'm looking to upgrade to a Heartland 5th Wheel. I first started looking for a slightly used (2 to 3 year old) units at a local dealer. So far, I've looked at a Landmark and several (4) Bighorns. The Landmark model and 2 of the Bighorns had de-lamination issues from the king-pin all the way down to the bottom of the cargo door. On one unit there was also de-lam issues on the side cargo doors, too. I've also noticed 2 or 3 threads taking about the same issue.

I would still like to make an offer on the '09 Landmark. Checking to see if anyone else has had this issue and/or the cost to repair.

I know water leaks are directionally proportionate to the maintenance performed but 3 leakers, on the same lot, and all where '08-'09 models?

Thanks!!!

jimtoo

Hi Texas5er,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully the Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

There have been some issues once in a while with de-lamination... not something that happens very often. You might want to check the history on these, if possible, because of past history of flooding in East Tx and La, Miss. Not saying they were in a flood,, but you might look at other things, since all three on the same lot? It's possible these were in a high water area at some point.

Enjoy the forum and hopefully you find a Heartland that you like.

Jim M

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
The delamination in that area is ugly but wont hurt anything unless its falling off. Most likely it was water intrusion at some point. Maybe from bad caulking or just poor maintenance by the previous owner.

mikeandconnie

My 09 Landmark has no De-lamination and looks great, However, I look at a new one last week and pointed out many spots of De=lamination to the sales man and it was only 6 months old... So, You never know. I made him a low ball offer because of this...