Axle and Pin weight

Roadie2

I have a Cyclone 2812 on order and hopefully it will arrive before snow hits in Utah. My question is a simple one. All the Cyclones except for the 2812 have max weights of 18000 or 14,000 lbs; the number of axles and their weight rating equals the max weight for the trailer. Pin weight isn't part of the equation. But with the 2812, the two 6,000 lb axles, plus the Pin weight of 1975 lbs. gets you up to the max weight of 14,000 lbs. Why is this so? Why don't they put the 7,000 lb axles on the 2812?

jimtoo

Hi Roadie,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

I can't help you with the answer about the axles. That is a Heartland engineering question, to which they most likely will not reply.

Enjoy the forum and your new Cyclone when you get it.

Jim M

branson4020

Icantre Member
It is normal and usual for the pin weight to be factored into the gross weight rating of the trailer. If that is not the case with the Cyclones you have looked at, it is the exception. For instance, my Bighorn, with a 14,300 lb weight rating, has two 6,000 lb axles.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Roadie. Welcome to the Heartland Forum & Family. The stated axle weight is actually the capacity of each axle. The weight it can safely carry.
From the 9200# dry weight of the rig you would subtract the pin weight of 1975# leaving you with approximately 4800# of carrying capacity. In other words, 4800 + 9200 = 14000. You must factor in options and water, LP, cargo and anything else you load into the trailer. Make more sense this way?

Roadie2

I understand that. But why does Heartland not follow that logic with all its other 5th wheel Cyclones? All the other 5th wheel trailers indicate the GVWR is the sum of the maximum weight of each of the axles, without subtracting the pin weight. It seems like it would make more sense to use the 7,000 lb axles, like the 3010 or 300C. I just don't understand why they went with the lower capacity axle when at the factory cost it should be negligible?

DW_Gray

I think too it has something to do with the physical dimensions of it. The 2812 is much smaller than the others. Even at 14,000 pounds, not all that weight will be on the axles. But if you're sure you'll fill it to max weight, I'd be more comfortable with 7K axles.

hoefler

You are expected to carry approximately 20%-25% of you gross on the pin. There for the weight rating. 14,000 pounds gross * 20% = 2800 pounds on the pin. 14000-2800= 11200 pounds on the axles. When the trailer set on the landing gear, the load is actually lighter on the axles due to the teeter totter effect and the location of the load on the landing gear.

Roadie2

OK, that does make sense. I'm coming off a bad, very bad experience with the Weekend Warrior "Ultra-Light" trailer and I don't want to go anywhere near the max weight on this new 5th Wheel. Thanks. Does anyone know, if I had unlimited resources, what the cost of the upgrade would be from factory to upgrade the axles? I know I would not increase the GVRW but it would give me more peace of mind...

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
If you are considering upgrading the axles, consider upgrading to the Mor-Ryde IS (independent suspension) system. This upgrade can be done for around $5000 for a 2 axle system which includes disc brakes. We have done our Landmark and it is a great upgrade.

Lynn1130

I'm not trying to be a smart A here but rather than ask these questions here where you will get, "I think they did that because", why not call Heartland and track down someone who can give the the accurate data? I have found the people at Heartland to go out of their way to be helpful and answer questions.

AJJONES

Senior GM for Cyclone, Torque, Gateway & Sundance
We do not put 7,000 Lbs axles on the 2812 because it only weighs 9,205lbs. When you take in consideration of the pin weight taken off of what the axles see, the 6,000 lbs axles are more than sufficient for its weight and capacity. However if you did a factory order we can do a "special" build and put the 7,000lbs in place of the 6,000 for a small up-charge.

AJJONES

Senior GM for Cyclone, Torque, Gateway & Sundance
As far as suspension upgrades, keep in mind that every Cyclone comes standard with adj. shackles and EZ-Flex suspension. This is a great system that connects to the leaf springs and adds articulation to the suspension system, and has a built in rubber dampener to help isolate a lot of the road vibrations, so that they do not transfer to the coach. This makes a HUGE difference in the ride quality and will also help improve the life of the coach. Just another STD feature that often gets over looked and something you don’t see on a lot of our competitor’s brands.

Roadie2

Thanks. I waited too long to ask this question and my new 2812 is scheduled to arrive within the week. (No opportunity to upgrade the axles) No complaints because it took less than 4 weeks to build and get it shipped out here. I appreciate your comments and help. Hopefully get the PDI done next week and off to the dunes next weekend for shakedown.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Thanks. I waited too long to ask this question and my new 2812 is scheduled to arrive within the week. (No opportunity to upgrade the axles) No complaints because it took less than 4 weeks to build and get it shipped out here. I appreciate your comments and help. Hopefully get the PDI done next week and off to the dunes next weekend for shakedown.
I think the 6000# axle itself is ok, you can always upgrade the springs clamped to it to 7000#er's for about $400 DIY in the future if needed.

Urban350

As far as suspension upgrades, keep in mind that every Cyclone comes standard with adj. shackles and EZ-Flex suspension. This is a great system that connects to the leaf springs and adds articulation to the suspension system, and has a built in rubber dampener to help isolate a lot of the road vibrations, so that they do not transfer to the coach. This makes a HUGE difference in the ride quality and will also help improve the life of the coach. Just another STD feature that often gets over looked and something you don’t see on a lot of our competitor’s brands.

Are you sure all Cyclones come with adj. shackles?