Television woes

gv550

We have a 2011 Landmark Grand Canyon, bought new in July 2011 in Ontario, Canada.
It is equipped with a Sharp 32LCD in the livingroom and a small Jenson TV in the bedroom. From new, when operating from the antenae there has always been interferance in the Sharp while the bedroom or bathroom fan was on, but not with the Fantastic fan. Our dealer had no solution for this. The interferance would cause the picture to freeze and the sound is worbly. The Jenson works fine with the fans on. After 3 months of this the Sharp quit altogether and we called our dealer who said we have to deal directly with Sharp for warranty and since it is only a 32 inch we were responsible for getting a case number and removing it and taking it to a Sharp dealer for repair. After waiting a week, the Sharp dealer told us the motherboard was fried and there was no warranty in Canada because the TV was USA spec.
At this point, our dealer did give us a new Sharp out of another Landmark on his lot, only cost us about 200 miles of travelling. The new Sharp still has interferance when the fan is on.
We have now moved to another RV park (in Florida) and for the first time we are connected to cable Tv service, and the picture is very snowy, and there is still interferance with the fan on. We had the park check our connection, I bought a new wire, but the only way to get a clear picture is to run the wire though the window and connect directly to the TV. This also eliminated the fan interferance.
So now I'm thinking there is a short somewhere that connects the TV cable to the 12v fan circuit somewhere in the walls of the RV, and that is likely what ruined our first Sharp. Closest Heartland dealer is now 100 miles away, not sure if I want to spend our vacation hauling the RV around.
Any suggestions appreciated, maybe there is something I can do by removing a panel somewhere?

Garry

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Hello Garry and welcome to the forum. I am sure you will get some help with your problem here, as there are plenty of people willing to help.
One thing I would do is to check all the cable connectors. Sometimes there are bad crimps on them. Also look closely to insure that there are no strands of the copper sheilding touching the center wire.
I have also heard of a staple or screw that penetrated the coax during construction.
If your bedroom TV is working fine and the living room is not I would suspect a problem with the coax somewhere between the signal amplifier and the entertainment center.
If this has been a problem since new, when was the first time the dealer looked at the problem? If it has been in for this repair multiple times without resolution I would give Heartland customer service a call and explain the situation and see if they can be of any help.
Heartland Customer Service
877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030

Peace
Dave

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Like Ray said the snowy picture would most likely be a bad (loose) connector. I would start at the back of the TV by pulling on the wire and connector to see if it comes off. The work your way back to the connection where the cable comes in from the outside. If it is only on one TV then it will be between that TV and the amplifier.

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
Also make sure the antenna booster is not "on" in the bedroom. On ours the red light needs to be off. It will cause a bad picture on the living room tv when the booster is on, especially when hooked to cable.

gv550

Wow, this place rocks!
Switching the booster off cleared up the picture. I guess the booster has been on the whole time we owned the RV and I didn't know there was a switch to turn it off...............
The interferance with the fans is also gone, but I expect it will return when using the antenae and booster.
Thanks slmayor, and to all the others who offered advice.

Garry