Hanging towel bar on bathroom wall

phix

I would like to hang a conventional towel bar on the wall behind the commode, just below the little cabinet. Has anyone done this? I have reservations about making holes in the wall material and how much weight it can support; we can't exactly just putty over it to repair it if it doesn't hold or we don't make perfect holes. What works for you?

Attachments

• BigHorn 3610 commode.jpg
    BigHorn 3610 commode.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 51

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
We mounted ours to the bottom of the cabinet, or in ours, the shelf. Had to cut the tube with a tubing cutter (for copper pipe, but a hacksaw would work) It's been there for 4 years now and no issues.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I mounted a TP holder and towel bar with molly fasters. The walls will hold some weight.....but dont use them as a grab bar. Debs idea will work also. I would be careful drilling holes in that wall. There might be some plumbing in that wall. The lines for the black tank flusher in our coach are in that wall.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I did the same thing Ray (slmayor) did. Works great and provides a solid holding surface.

phix

I had thought about hanging it from the cabinet. Would rather have it on the wall, but that will do....and do safely. Thanks for the input everyone.

57chevyconvt

Purchased an oil rubbed bronze towel rack to the match the BR sink faucets from Lowes. Mounted it to the bottom of the overhead shelf as suggested by Ray. The installation looks as though it was from Heartland. By being mounted this high up on the wall behind the pot, a bath towel hanging on the rack it is not a problem when taking care of business.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I hung ours from underneath the cabinet, using machine screws and washers. I did have to cut the bar, but it's thin metal and easily done. You need machine screws long enough to span the double bottom of the cabinet, about 1 1/4" I think they were.

View attachment 16506

phix

I hung ours from underneath the cabinet, using machine screws and washers. I did have to cut the bar, but it's thin metal and easily done. You need machine screws long enough to span the double bottom of the cabinet, about 1 1/4" I think they were.

Thanks for the photo! Big help.

archbarb

View attachment 16506

When the DW wanted a towel bar installed I really didn't know how to mount with the double bottom. I went thru the first layer and used small toggle bolts!!!!!

Seems to be very solid when the toggles are tightened down!!!!!

Archie

clubmgr

Heartland Owners Club Manager
Staff member
We could not fasten a towel rack to our cabinet as our cabinet is flush with the wall. We put in a regular nickel towel rack we bought from Lowes. It is fastened to the wall. We used those marvelous screw in white, plastic thingies you can get from Lowes for paneling or wallboard. They work wonders and we use them all the time in the house as well.

We have had the towel rack up for years now and no problem what-so-ever,