my temporary solution to the side curtain panels

twohappycampers

Many of us have an" issue" with these bitty side curtain panels - I don't like the "look" and I don't like that they don't block daylight coming in from the side, and don't provide privacy from certain sidewise vantage points. Right?! Am I right?!

I don't have the $$ or the ambition to make new window treatments just now - although I'd love to! - and I am still deciding on what kind of style and colour. But in the meantime I wanted to address my issues with them. Well, nothing's going to help with the "look", but this is an easy fix, requires very little time and no $$ whatsoever. And I was able to do it by myself.

I tried this on a hidden end first to see how it would work. Then did most of the rest this morning. Some of them don't even have to be done if you don't want to bother, because privacy and light isn't a problem in the corners.

Take a pair of sharp scissors (helps eliminate some of the fraying). About 3" from the end of the panel, cut down through both thicknesses of the fabric stopping just short of the stitching. Then make a horizontal cut back to the end of the panel just above the stitching, but just through the back side of the fabric or the whole "flap" will come off in your hand. This leaves a flap of fabric still attached to the panel at the front. You can then slip this flap off the rod, replace the rod on its bracket, wrap the flap back around the wall bracket, and pin or stitch or glue in place (I just used a straight pin, barely noticeable). Then that side of the panel will wrap around and cover that space between the venetian blind and the wall. VOILA!

Yeah yeah, I know. I'm not the first one to have done this and written about it, right? It's just nice to think so for a little while.

On starting this little project I found that the finials on the rod don't screw off as I'd expected. And the panels don't just slide off the rod either, as the pocket is too narrow to slide over the finial.

I think when I sew my new curtains I'll use the same rods and everything. Just sew a simple pocket heading, but a little wider so the curtain can just slip over. And make them so they will wrap around the sides, just like these now do. And remove those bottom clips. And of course leave the blinds, them I love!

I also removed one of the valances, just to see how they were attached, what they were made of, how I'd recover them, etc. I may not even bother. Just remove them and leave them off. The header of the blind IS visible then, but I dunno, it may even be an improvement over the fabric covered valance.

Bye for now and take good care! Lorna

clubmgr

Heartland Owners Club Manager
Staff member
Lorna:

Have you ever posted pictures of all your mods? I would love to see them.

jjwink

We recently went to Alaska or 3 months. Because our "day/night" shades aren't really dark enough I went to a fabric center and purchased light blocking fabric; cut panels for each window; pinked the sides; put rod pockets in top and bottom. I bought tension rods and placed one in top and bottom; Then I installed the top inside the rod at the top and let the bottom rod weight the lower edge. They work great for very little cost. No problem at all with light coming in. If I want light the bottom rod can be flipped up on the rod at the top.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Have you ever stood outside your rig and tried to see into the bedroom slide windows with the shades down? You ain't going to see anything! Now, if your favorite Peeping Tom has an extension ladder, that's a different matter. Show him your "caliber" and make him go away.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Many of us have an" issue" with these bitty side curtain panels - I don't like the "look"

Color us "nutty" but we like the window treatments on the 3450TS. It is nice that you found an easy mod to update to your preferences! That's part of the fun in owning an RV!

Best Wishes!

twohappycampers

Color us "nutty" but we like the window treatments on the 3450TS. It is nice that you found an easy mod to update to your preferences! That's part of the fun in owning an RV!

Best Wishes!

No, not "nutty", just lucky that you like what you already have. Sure cuts down on work and $$ :)

twohappycampers

Have you ever stood outside your rig and tried to see into the bedroom slide windows with the shades down? You ain't going to see anything! Now, if your favorite Peeping Tom has an extension ladder, that's a different matter. Show him your "caliber" and make him go away.

:D What's funny, is that I wasn't talking about the bedroom, I was talking about the other windows on the "first" floor. I wrote so much on the subject, but forgot to put in that small detail :eek:

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
We are very happy with the day/night shades on our new LM. We were prepared to spend a LOT of money on wooden blinds but these new style shades have made us change our minds about replacing them.

ParkIt

Haven't seen the new day/night shades and agree that anything would be an improvement over the older style. Ours came with wood blinds which I really like, the side valance was easy to tuck higher up closer to the window and back so they wrap around the corners. Kind of had to since PDI forgot to strap down anything before delivery and the movement snapped off the cheap plastic ones the factory installed (yes, they got an earful over that). I used 1/4" L brackets at the bottom and since the plastic ones snapped off the bottom just slid out no problem and on the new L brackets.
I kind of miss a top wood valance but also don't - it used to act as additional storage space/place to put stuff short term yet like the open feel of the wrought iron bar. I can change it later if we want, for now we kind of like it.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
We love ours also. Would'nt think of changing these. They are great. We like the shades and the board covered by material valances that surround them. They do keep most of the light out and look great to boot.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
:D What's funny, is that I wasn't talking about the bedroom, I was talking about the other windows on the "first" floor. I wrote so much on the subject, but forgot to put in that small detail :eek:

Funny, all of the windows on the "first" floor of our 3670 have or had the funky lambrequins down the sides, except for the one at the desk and the hall. I trashed the ones on the rear window when I replaced the day/night with a set of vertical blinds. Can't say a lot of daylight gets in with everything pulled and closed. But then, I don't want to grow mushrooms back there. I just get treated like one, though.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
We also like the window treatments in our BH.

We are very happy with the day/night shades on our new LM. We were prepared to spend a LOT of money on wooden blinds but these new style shades
have made us change our minds about replacing them.

Jay,
A new Landmark? Nice. When did you guys get the new rig and which model did you get? (And after all the work you had done on your BH)
Trace

jayc

Hey Trace, we bought a Grand Canyon last week from Ron Hoover in Houston. It was too good a deal to pass up.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Hey Trace, we bought a Grand Canyon last week from Ron Hoover in Houston. It was too good a deal to pass up.

Jay, Good for you guys. If I don't see it before, I'll check it out in Gillette.

57chevyconvt

Jay,
Congradulations on the new LM! Hope you and Sella are really enjoying the new unit. Glad to hear that the window treatment is to your liking.

jayc

Thank you both. As I said before, it was just too good to pass up and it's been pretty-much perfect so far.