Portable Heaters

Rodbuster

I'm thinking of purchasing a portable electric heater for the 5th wheel.
I would appreciate any suggestions on a small but powerful unit. A safe unit is most important.

Thank you
Rodbuster

Rickhansen

We like the oil-filled radiator type. Even heat and no fan noise or drafts. We've also put a 4 foot electric baseboard radiator-type under the rear window - it picks up the cold air from the floor and stops the cold draft from the window and frame. Your limitation will of course be circuit capacity and outlet placement. I am installing a couple extra outlets this weekend for added flexibility, and to move one heater from the kitchen circuit. I'm tired of turning the heater of to make coffee.

Birchwood

We have two Bonaire heaters ,a radiator type(500/1000 w) and a ceramic (500/1000) with fan.Very attractive and reliable.

danemayer

We have several Pelonis B6A1 4 disc heaters that work very well. http://www.amazon.com/Pelonis-B-6A1...MCS8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1319284077&sr=8-2 If you're near a Camping World, I think they've got it for $75.

It's a relatively smart unit that adjusts heating and airflow based on room temperature.

But be aware that on high, it'll draw between 10 and 15 amps. I had a dedicated 20 Amp circuit breaker and outlet added by the stairs in our unit so that we could run one heater without regard to what else might be on that circuit breaker.

We have used a ceramic type heater for years to supplement the furnace.
They are realiable, resonably priced.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I also us a Pelonis ceramic disc heater. Small, about 7 inches square and is 1500 watts. Works great for us.
Like Danemayer, I installed a dedicated 20 amp circuit in my last rig for the kitchen. Never ever popped a breaker. I have yet to do that in our new rig but it is on the list. Hmm, maybe next week.

Peace
Dave

rick_debbie_gallant

When it really gets cold we will use a "BIG BUDDY" PROPANE HEATER. It even works good outside to keep the chill off. Plus it has a fan that you can use to stir up the heat.

wdk450

Gang:
I have read that although the circuits and outlets used on our trailers are rated at 15 amps, the cheaper outlets do not use screw to wire connectors that can really handle high currents without the possibility of connection heating, smoking, possible fires. I would at least disassemble and inspect the outlets you propose to plug the heaters into and replace them with quality outlets if needed (of course, do this with the trailer power disconnected). Better still, add a dedicated line and outlet for heaters only, as others have done.

GOTTOYS

I'm thinking of purchasing a portable electric heater for the 5th wheel.
I would appreciate any suggestions on a small but powerful unit. A safe unit is most important.

Thank you
Rodbuster

1500 watts = 5,280 BTUs if my memory is right. Doesn't matter what kind of heater you get, they all have the same out put if they draw 1500 watts....Don

RollingHome

We've used oil filled radiators with great success in our RV's and our home. They have Low, Med, High & a T-Stat. In rough just abouts @ 120 Volts AC - Low = 5 amps. Med = 10 amps & Hi = 15 amps. As stated earlier, 1500 watts is about 5000 + Btu’s. That's running full on. We use 1 in the LV on Med (10 amps) & the T-Stat at 6 o’clock (2/3) Also 1 in the BR (if needed) on low or med. We have not had any hot receptacles or problems of any kind. We don't even use our Pelonis heaters anymore, we like the oil filled radiators better. The oil filled radiators quietly cycle on and off as needed based on T-stat setting; the mass holds the heat more than other types of heaters which add to their efficiency and effectiveness. In addition our roof top AC is also a heat pump which we set to come on if we are not in the RV. Some RV Parks forbid and prohibit portable electric heaters.

rick_debbie_gallant

1500 watts = 5,280 BTUs if my memory is right. Doesn't matter what kind of heater you get, they all have the same out put if they draw 1500 watts....Don

There are 3,413 btu in a KW HR of electricity. electricty cost from $.14 AND $.20 per KW

1 gallon of Propane ~= 4.23 lbs ~= 91500 Btus

1 lbs of Propane ~=22000 Btus

20 lb tank of propane holds approx 4 gallons of propane (approx 366000 BTUs)

It would take about 6.44783118 KW's to produce 22000 BTU's (1 pound of propane) or about 26.6705744 KW's for a gallon of propane.

So what is more cost effective electricity or propane for heating your home?

RollingHome

In a fixed rate (i.e. daily rate) RV Park, it is always less expensive to heat with electric IF and only if it is not metered, charged extra or prohibited. Heating with propane is on my dime, heating with electric is on their dime.

RoadJunkie

I determined my needs required a fan-driven induction type heater over the oil filled heaters. The reason is based on whether or not you heat your unit on a continuous basis, or let the unit cool down a bit when you are away. The oil filled units like to be left on continuously while the fan-driven induction type heaters begin to heat immediately. I actually use both my furnace and the electric heater. The electric heater seems to fill in between the hot-to-cold cycle on the furnace.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
We use electric heat because it is included in our monthly charge. Also we never run out of electric in the middle of the night, unless the electric company has a interruption. Biggest problem is keeping the basement heated, so I keep 2- 150w light bulbs on a Thermo Cube in the basement. Seems to work for me.

BC

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
We use electric heat because it is included in our monthly charge. Also we never run out of electric in the middle of the night, unless the electric company has a interruption. Biggest problem is keeping the basement heated, so I keep 2- 150w light bulbs on a Thermo Cube in the basement. Seems to work for me.

BC

Good idea on the Therm Cube. Do you think a ceramic heater installed in the basement is too much heat??? I tried it temporarily last winter during the day and it does keep it warm even on low but kind of scared to sleep with it on.

RollingHome

Thanks Bob ! You just solved 2 problems for me :). I ordered 2 thermocubes direct from the OEM. By the way guys they are now on sale at about 30% off, so nows the time to buy. They also told me they are sold at Tractor Supply. I paid about $ 11.00 for the on at 35 off at 45 unit.

MC9

Except that nearly 100% of the electric is useable. I am afraid that these little furnaces in RV's are barely 75% efficient. I know that electric was a lot cheaper last winter compared to propane at 4.10 a gallon. (in AZ)

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Good idea on the Therm Cube. Do you think a ceramic heater installed in the basement is too much heat??? I tried it temporarily last winter during the day and it does keep it warm even on low but kind of scared to sleep with it on.

What I do is put a couple of 150W light bubs on the cube. If I think it is going to get colder I turn on a Vornado heater and set it to its lowest setting. So far the basement has never been below 40*.

BC

Rickhansen

There are 3,413 btu in a KW HR of electricity. electricty cost from $.14 AND $.20 per KW

1 gallon of Propane ~= 4.23 lbs ~= 91500 Btus

1 lbs of Propane ~=22000 Btus

20 lb tank of propane holds approx 4 gallons of propane (approx 366000 BTUs)

It would take about 6.44783118 KW's to produce 22000 BTU's (1 pound of propane) or about 26.6705744 KW's for a gallon of propane.

So what is more cost effective electricity or propane for heating your home?

The answer to that question hinges on the efficiency of your propane heater. For an RV Furnace it may only be 40% to 60% efficient, I'm guessing. The rest of the heat goes out the flue as hot exhaust gases. Electric is 100% efficient.