LSPTpr's South Dakota Trip Plans

HappyKayakers

LSPTpr said:
Now the good stuff, leaveing for yellowstone/mt. rushmore on friday from La. Hopefully, i will see a few heartlands on the trip and can relax and enjoy myself for 3 weeks.

What route are you taking? We're in Belvidere SD for the summer, about 130 miles east of Mt Rushmore on I90.

LSPTpr

We are going on hwy 14 to I90 from yellowstone to mt. rushmore. Although as i write this i hear my wife and son talking about some dinosaur place nearby my hwy choice may be changing. Gonna enjoy it though, just need some time away from New Orleans.

jimtoo

Hey LSPTpr,
If your looking for dinosaurs and your going up through Colorado, swing West across Colorado and go to Dinosaur National Monument near Vernal, Utah. It is just East of Vernal at Jensen (wide spot in road). In a full day you could see the main place where they are digging or have large side of hill encased for display and then be sure and visit the museum in Vernal. The museum is wonderful and full of displays that would rival the best in the world. Then you could go over the mountain across Flaming Gorge Dam into Wyoming and up to Yellowstone. Would not be much out of your way and it is a pretty drive. If your looking for dinosaurs, Vernal is the place to go.

OK, my 3 cents worth,,, to long for 2 cents.

Jim

HappyKayakers

LSPTpr said:
We are going on hwy 14 to I90 from yellowstone to mt. rushmore. Although as i write this i hear my wife and son talking about some dinosaur place nearby my hwy choice may be changing. Gonna enjoy it though, just need some time away from New Orleans.

Maybe the mammoth dig site at Hot Springs SD. Definitely a worthwhile side trip. Or possibly the Black Hills Museum of Natural History at Hill City. I have pix of both on my website, under the text travelogue if you want a sneak preview.