Wintering in Texas

olcoon

We are planning on heading to Texas sometime after Christmas. Don't really know how long we'll be down there, as DW may get called to work her seasonal job possibly in Feb. or March. We are concerned about finding someplace to stay in the RGV area. I was kind of thinking about State Parks, or something along that line. This will be our first time to do something like this, so we have no idea where we'd like to go, where to stay, or even what we are going to do while down there, other than escape cold weather, at least for a while. We spent the summer in CO work camping, and enjoyed exploring, hiking, & just playing tourist taking tours, & sight seeing on our days off. Have even thought about work camping again, but hate to commit to something when we don't know how long we'll be able to stay.

Any ideas would be appreicated!

lmcclure

1st Tennessee Member#1084
We just got a place in Rockport and according to a lot of the places there they were filling up fast. I don't know about the RGV but there are a lot of people going to be there and I am sure that they will give you some good answers. We really liked it when someone told us that they only had really cold weather 3 days last year.

Delaine and Lindy

We winter in South Texas (RGV) two winters. There are over 500 RV Parks in the RGV, we always had a reservations. It will depend on what type of RV park your looking for. I do know there are some great RV parks and we Loved being called "Winter Texan" and the Locals like the RVer's being there. If it wasn't for the distance from our home base we would love being in the RGV. And the rates a cheaper there than here in Florida... Good Luck. Happy Trails...

P.S. Google RV parks in the Mission Tx, McAllen TX, I'm sure you will find what your looking for.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
We stay at 7 Oaks RV Park in Mission till early Feb then head north a bit as it warms up. Aransas Pass via Kerrville.
There is one state park located about 60 miles west of Mission. Falcon State Park. Nice place but do not expect any fancy restaurants or clubs nearby. Could be a 25 mile trip to WalMart in Rio Grande City.
As was mentioned above, Google.

Peace
Dave

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
We'll be at the Mission West RV park in January. Check the portal page because we have a couple of events planned for early February. Then theres the big Sweetheart rally in Kerrville at the outstanding Buckhorn RV Resort in the middle of Feb.

As said before, there are 500 or more RV parks in the valley, so there should be some accomodations for you.

Willym

We stay at Tropic Star RV resort in Pharr. There are many activities there, and plenty of RV spots. A reservation would not be required. If you have pets though, you are limited to one area of the park, and have to keep your pet within it.

olcoon

Check the portal page because we have a couple of events planned for early February
jayc,
I've seen the 2 events you talked about, and if we make it down there, we'll be sure to attend. As DW got hooked on rallys this year in Goshen, the Sweetheart rally sounds interesting. I've heard of it, but don't know anything about it. Do you have to join something to attend, or just make reservations & show up? It sounds like something we'd be interested in going to!

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Roy and Sally, HERE IS A LINK to the Sweetheart Rally web page.
Rally registration is not yet available, but check on it often as it should be ready some time this month. You will need to click on the 'Information Page' to register.
You will need to call Buckhorn Lake Resort to reserve your site for the rally.
Buckhorn Lake Resort is a real nice place and the folks that organize the rally do a real nice job.
See you there?

Peace
Dave

stan53tt

olcoon,

We stay in Pharr,Tx which is pretty central to the activities we like in the Rio Grande Valley. As mentioned there are a lot of fine parks to choose from, and the people are great. The last few years there were ample empty spaces at many parks ,so reservations aren't absolutely necessary. Hope that you find your way down there this winter. You'll enjoy it. Here's a handy link to reasearch the parks and activities: http://www.wintertexaninfo.com/SITEDIR1.html

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Roy and Sally, we always have a great time at the Heartland get togethers, a potluck dinner Meet and Greet at Retama Village in Mission and the dealer open house in Donna the next day. As Dave told you, the Sweetheart is a fun time with many other people, not all Heartlanders at Buckhorn Lake Resort in Kerrville. Hope you come down to the valley and have some fun with us in February.