What are you towing with?

r4man2

The Landmarks are above the limit (GVWR) for my Chevy 2500HD crew D/A 14,700. What are you folks towing with? Ford 450 SuperD, Fleet liners?

Ran into a dealer that tried to convince me that the Landmarks come standard with things that I will endup adding to a Big Horn so that I probably would find that the actual towing wt would be about the same.

I was about to place an order for a BH this week, but would look at the Landmark IF I can tow it.

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
I tow our 2005 Landmark Mt. Rushmore with a 2007 Ford F350 crew cab diesel dually. Tows like a dream.I don't think I would want to tow the Landmark with anything less than a 350 or the equalivent.

Tom of Ypsi

I tow with a Ford F350 dually, 4:10 LS, trailer tow package and also love it. The pusher is a Mt Rushmore, Landmark SN 9284

davebennington

I tow our Landmark Golden Gate with a Dodge Ram 3500 quad cab diesel dually. It handles just fine I would not want to try towing with anything less than a 1 ton truck.
In my opinion the salesman is correct the Landmark has alot of features that are standard that are optional in the Bighorn. It is up to you to determine if it is worth the difference in money or not.

Dave

jbeletti

r4man2,

I tow with a 1 ton Dodge RAM Diesel Dually. Like the others mentioned, I would not tow a Landmark with less than this. And I would not want to do it with single rear wheels (SRW) either. By the way, loaded up like I do, I am at the max GVWR of my Landmark - 16,000 pounds. 3,925 of that is on the pin. I carry a lot of junk up front I guess. Just changed out my truck hitch to a larger unit than the 15k I used for 2 years (my newbie ignorance).

Best of luck,

Jim

Uncle Rog

r4man2, if the truth be known, in my opinion, most of the 16k rigs are over the rating of most of the TV's out there. I know that when I scaled my rig all of the axles were pretty max'd out and 820# over total gross......

jbeletti

UR is right. For me, while I am under on TV's tires and axles, I am over my TV's GCVWR by a few hundred pounds.

Jim

Uncle Rog

OK, that being said, my biggest concern is the pin / axle weight on the rear tires. I have E range Firestones and they are rated at a little over 6k#'s so I try to use a little common sense when loading the rig. We haul as little water as possible and try not too take the "kitchen sink" with us on every trip. The only problem is once gear is loaded it tends to become a permanent fixture. As long as my axle weight is not excessive I am not nervous about a little over gross as the Duramax / Allison combination pulls very well. We are happy with the BH.....period, no regrets.....

Gary Steeves

r4man2
See below for my TV and current rig. However, after reading many of the posts and having 2 blowouts on the Landmark - then weighing, I elected to downsize to the BigHorn 3370RL and am anxious to take delivery next month.
Most of the Landmarks are being towed by 1 ton trucks or better and it appears a lot of the smaller BigHorns are towed by the 2500HD.
By the way, I am keeping my G rated rims/tires to install on the BigHorn.

jbeletti

Funny guy Tim :D

Then I think, okay, a genny would be nice and/or an inverter with 4 Trojan-T-105s. Holy cow, I'd need an MDT for that baby pushing over 4k on the pin!

Jim

Forrest Fetherolf

Since I hit the CAT scales and discovered that my duramax is over gross by 1200 lbs and the combined weight 460 lb over, we have changed our life style. Most everything we put in the rv has been removed including the Onan 5500LP, both batteries, both propane tanks, and all tools. We carry no fresh water in the tank, no bedding or pillows, and only freeze dried food. Karen and I wear diapers, flip-flop shoes, short shorts and sleeveless shirts. We stop every 2 hours to change diapers, if necessary, and get a drink from a restroom.

We feel safer now that we are under the legal weight, the fuel mileage has increase, and the rig rides smoother. Our biggest complaint is trying to get rid of the diaper rash.....................We love rving.

Being a retired LAPD motor officer, I know the importance of obeying the law. When and how are you law violators going to get legal?

jpmorgan37

Forrest;

Now I know why I enjoy your contributions to the forum so much. I went through accident reconstruction classes with some of your counterparts a few years ago.

John

timk

Forrest, you need to get some of those astronaut diapers, they last a lot longer.