Garage Thermostat

TNEagle

How's it work? There is only one heat duct coming in. When the furnace is running there is air coming out. What does the thermostat above the door heading out the garage work? I just called Heartland and the guy said "Good question, I'll have to get back to you". I don't understand what it is controlling if I only have one furnace.:confused:

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Don't know for sure what your set up looks like, but if you have a Fantastic Vent fan, the t-stat may be for that.

Peace
Dave

Urban350

That is what I thought it was for, but it is not. The only thing I have not tried is the AC. I was told it was for the furnace but it does not seem to do anything in mine.

gpshemi

I thought it was part of the second A/C prep. If you put a second A/C unit in you'll need the t-stat.

Urban350

I hate to keep disproving everybodys ideas but for the Cyclones the second a/c would go in the bedroom.

trvlrerik

I am with porthole. It sounds like for the fantastic fan. It helps during a/c season but will suck out any heat in the garage during cold weather.

frumbawa

x4 on the Fantastic Fan. During our PDI, the fan in the garage didn't work at first. Turned out to be the thermostat. After a quick replace, all was good.

Frank

gpshemi

I hate to keep disproving everybodys ideas but for the Cyclones the second a/c would go in the bedroom.

Wouldn't that be up to the owner. I'd never put a second A/C in the bedroom. Mine will drive you out already due to the short run from the A/C unit itself. In fact we blocked off the bathroom duct. The garage on the other hand gets warm no matter what you do since it's such a long run.

I'll believe whatever you guys say, but two thing...1) what is the second A/C prep for if it's in the bedroom? 2) where is my fantastic fan in the garage since I have the t-stat?

Urban350

Mine only has pre-wirring in the bedroom for another AC, I have a fantastic fan in there. I realy have not turned on my fan in the garage as my top bunk is never lowered so I can't get at it to turn it on, so the thermostat might be for it.

frumbawa

2) where is my fantastic fan in the garage since I have the t-stat?

Fantastic fan in the garage is located high up above the upper bunk. Can only get to it with the beds lowered but no real need since it is controlled by the thermostat. Probably want to have the beds down anyway so it is more effective.

gpshemi

Fantastic fan in the garage is located high up above the upper bunk. Can only get to it with the beds lowered but no real need since it is controlled by the thermostat. Probably want to have the beds down anyway so it is more effective.

Haha...no it's not. That's my point. It's just a regular vent. No fantastic fan.

porthole

Retired
Haha...no it's not. That's my point. It's just a regular vent. No fantastic fan.

Sounds like somebody screwed up at the factory then. Fantastic fan in the garage is a listed feature.

AC prep for the bedroom.
You can appreciate the 2nd AC in the bedroom on 90+ days. The 3612 is a bit different then the rest of the line, maybe engineering increased the duct efficiency since that is a newer model.

gpshemi

Hmmm...interesting. Like I said I sure wouldn't want it in my bedroom. We freeze as it is. Even on those 90+ days. With the garage open though the A/C will only take the edge off. I insulated the floor of the garage to help some, but it's still just too much for one unit. Wonder why mine would be much different than the newer models.

porthole

Retired
Wonder why mine would be much different than the newer models.

I don't get it. From the steps forward most of the Cyclones are almost exactly the same - except your 3612. Different bath, and bedroom slide.
My guess will be in the duct work then.

For the rest of the Cyclone 5th wheels the duct work comes out the left side of the main unit, has a 1-2 foot run and then makes a 90 degree turn to the bathroom and bedroom. Maybe since your bedroom is inline the duct is a straight run from the unit into the bedroom. That would make sense as to why yours seems to work better then most of us.

I changed our garage discharges. I blocked the discharge over the bunks and cut one in between the bunks and the overhead cabinets.
It helps, but by no means is ideal. If we needed the garage to be as cool as the rest of the unit I would consider adding another compact rooftop. Only problem with that though is those pesky bunks when they are up. I also cut in another discharge in the living room.

gpshemi

My AC ductwork does run pretty much up the center. It goes into the bathroom first (blocked off) and then just to the other side of the pocket door and dumps in the bedroom (added a louvered round register in there so we can shut it down some). The living room and loft area stay fairly cool even in the 90's. My son had me add a louvered register to his loft too, but I think that was because it blows directly on him more then anything. You do have to keep the garage closed on those real hot summer days though or the AC will run full tilt and only get it down to about 77. It won't cool it off any.

I looked for an AC unit for the garage thinking that's what the thermostat was for, but truthfully they're a little pricey for what they are. I mean you can get a Walmart window unit for as low as $99, but a RV unit is $500+. I don't get it.

Hope this conversation was on topic enough that it didn't take over his thread.