Whats with these gas stations!

zurn

we have traveled acoss the country back and forth across this wonderful country and many other trips with our RV and continue to be amazed how unuser friendly the gas stations are for getting to RV deisel pumps. We need to start a movement to have gas stations put up large signs designating pumps for the rv deisel users. I hate wandering around the pumps looking for the "small green " nozzle. Am I alone with this problem? Carol

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Carol,
It takes a bit of getting used to. With my smaller SOB, (31'), I would venture into most gas stations, as long as there was overhead clearance.
Now because of getting pinned in a few times with my BH, I try to stop at truck stops more often than not. I usually go in with the big rigs although some have "RV" lanes which you may find are not quite as intimidating.
Trace

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I agree. Seems like more and more are realigning their pumps to be head in so the clerk can read license numbers. What gets me more than anything is some stations have green pumps for regular and not diesel and some use yellow for regular. Seems to me there should be a mandated standard color. Also yesterday while traveling in Mississippi I found diesel for $3.59 at a Race Trac station while it was $3.79 at a Flying J and Loves just down the road. Seems like there is a huge disparity in fuel pricing in this country. You have to shop around to get the best deal.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Just saw an E85 -- yellow pump. Had 4 different warning signs that this was NOT GASOLINE. Not including a large ear of corn on the pump base. LOL!

We just head for the big-rig lanes. DH gets ready to pump, while my job is to jump out and go to the service desk to relinquish the credit card.

E

lmcclure

1st Tennessee Member#1084
That is one reason that I installed an in bed tank. I can now travel all day without stopping for diesel and refuel when we stop for the night, and now while we are stationary for a month I can fuel up when I find cheaper fuel as I did in Rockport last sat. found it for $3.59. The designers of the newer stations have not camped I think

hoefler

That is one reason that I installed an in bed tank. I can now travel all day without stopping for diesel and refuel when we stop for the night, and now while we are stationary for a month I can fuel up when I find cheaper fuel. The designers of the newer stations have not camped I think

I second that!

I also have 2 Apps on my phone that helps us find the best deal. Murphy USA with a Wal-Mart card gets .10 cents off a gallon and Gas Buddy. Usually I can get between 1,000-1,100 miles on a fill up depending on wind and terrain.

Most stations are not that friendly for all of us with gas thirsty trucks either.
I finally found a DOT approved in bed tank for gasoline frome Transfer Flo. At least now, with the extra 30 gallons, I can pick and choose where to
where to fill up.

Bighurt

I always use truck stops even when empty, the nozzle is bigger the fuel is always fresh and there is usually an open stall. And you know if a long base Peterbilt 379 with a 53' stretched axle can maneuver to the stall you can too. And I know anywhere you can get your truck I can get my tractor trailer...:D

wdk450

If I have to make a fuel stop with the trailer attached, many times I will find a large parking spot nearby, park, and go reconnoiter the fuel station for best access routes and the ability to get the whole rig in and out of a particular fueling spot. Then I go back to the rig and pull in. Some owners have incurred major damage trying to get out of a tight gas station island situation.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
For us, a lot depends on how far we travel in a day. Normally we only go 300 miles or less and fuel up after dropping the rig. No worries about ss doing it that way.
On the other hand, I hope to be able to bypass Indiana in the future. They charge a ridiculous .23 cents tax to RVers and cars for Diesel. I just paid $4 a gallon at a Flying J. The truck pumps don't accept credit cards and the attendants ask if you're a commercial vehicle. The bordering states prices are the same as the tax exempt price in IN. That's what I call gouging.:mad: