Yuk! Bad Smelling/Tasting Ice Cubes

BillPatti

We took our new Big Country 3450TS out for it's maiden voyage. There were a few minor issues we made the dealer aware of.

But one thing that was puzzling was the strong chemical taste and smell of the ice cubes.

We were hooked up to city water. Our coach has a water filter (but I don't know where it's located).

We washed out the ice tray, ran several trays of ice through it, but it didn't clear up.

The water from all the faucets tasts good, just the ice is bad !

Any suggestions please?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Bill Patti, welcome to the Heartland Family and Heartland Owners Forum. There is plenty of good information here.
I really do not think that your coach has a water filter.
The bad taste in the ice cubes has been a problem for many people. There are a couple of things that you can do.
One would be to run more than several trays of ice through. The next thing that I would do, and have done, is to install a multi purpose filter in the 1/4 in. line that feeds the ice maker.
I use THIS ONE available at Home Depot.
Hope this helps some.

Peace
Dave

57chevyconvt

Locate your water filter and change the filter element. Run sufficient water through the system to flush the new filter element, turn off the water and disconnect the 1/4" poly tubing behind the refrig, turn the water back on, flush the line for about five minutes to clear all the residual chemicals from the poly tubing. Reconnect the poly tubing and make some ice, hopefully this will take care of your smelly ice cubes.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
A BC with a built in water filter is a new one on me. Never heard of HL installing a water filter. I could be wrong on a 2012...but I think I would call HL service and ask where it is. Put some bleach in the fresh water tank and flush all the water lines and let the bleach set in the lines for a while. Then flush with fresh water. Are you using a white (RV) water hose?

wdk450

This one has been on here so may times it is worthy of a forum search of the term "ice maker". Many people maintain that the new plastic in the refrig/icemaker is part of the problem and wash all surfaces out with a baking soda solution or other neutral cleaner. Most say it just goes away with time.I would bring a icechest of ice along on my first few trips, and if you store the trailer at home and have access to water and power, hook it up and run it continously for about a month, emptying the icemaker daily.

Good Luck!!

lwmcguir

We took our new Big Country 3450TS out for it's maiden voyage. There were a few minor issues we made the dealer aware of.

But one thing that was puzzling was the strong chemical taste and smell of the ice cubes.

We were hooked up to city water. Our coach has a water filter (but I don't know where it's located).

We washed out the ice tray, ran several trays of ice through it, but it didn't clear up.

The water from all the faucets tasts good, just the ice is bad !

Any suggestions please?

Is the ice maker line still just a typical poly line like you get at the hardware store? If so change it out to an NSF line and that will help immediately.