Kitchen floor

SamSmiley

We have a 3670 Bighorn and one of the slide rollers on the kitchen floor has caused the floor to bubble (could be stretched). I am wondering if anyone else is having this same problem. So far there is no satisfactory fix offered by Heartland.

ibrick

We had the same problem with our 3670 last summer. The roller under the fridge would push a bubble under the vinyl each time we brought that slide in. I thought we solved the problem by putting a flat piece of heat duct tin in front of the roller to spread out some of the weight from the roller. All that did was lift the corners on each side of the tin next to the rollers and it got all bent up and jammed under the slide. My hands didn't appreciate the cuts from that great idea.

We finally thought we had the problem licked when we found some thick (1/8"), stiff cardboard to put under the roller. Seemed to do the job well as there was very little bubble in front of the rollers path as I peeked underneath the cardboard while my wife retracted the slide. The problem returned this spring when I went out to get the unit ready for it's first trip.

I found that the vinyl had snapped apart from the right side of the roller, under the slide, to the heat vent located to the right. I figure it was due to the extreme cold (mid -30's C) on that stressed piece of vinyl. I also found when I lifted the vinyl that there was no adhesive anywhere but on the edge that would have been under the oak kick facing of the slide. The only signs of adhesive were found along the edge of the vinyl, along with holes like a stapler would make.

Further research to try and find a fix showed that many manufacturers use this method of stapling a glued edge as standard installation procedure for laying a vinyl floor. It also showed that some manufacturers are also aware of this potential problem to units sold in a cold climate by giving you the option of gluing the entire floor for an additional cost. I bought used, so I got it filed upstairs if I ever buy new.

I eventually lifted both pieces as far as I could without causing more damage and applied a quality adhesive and then rolled it. I could not get the 2 pieces tightly back together and camped with a 1/8" -3/16" gap this year but the bubble has not returned. I also bought a small mat to throw over the unsightly gap and have promised my wife a new laminate floor for it next year.

Maybe try something stiffer like that 1/8" paneling to buy you some time and minimize the stress , but get that vinyl fastened as fast as possible because that flexing is not good. And if you get cold in your area, do it sooner.

Last edited:

SamSmiley

Rick,

I appreciate your response. I just got our 3570 back from the dealer. Dealer tried to get Heartland to find a solution. Heartland could not come up with one. They only suggested a piece of luan material for the roller to roll on. They claim glueing the floor down would not help and refused to have it glued. They claim the weight from the roller would just destroy the lineoleum. Heartland asked me to get back with them after our trip to Texas in January and let them know what is happening with the floor. I plan on getting in touch with a vinyl floor dealer and see what they would recommend. I really can't believe Heartland would not come up with an answer. My 3670 is in warranty and will remain so until next April.

I really am disappointed with Heartland's response on this problem.

Thanks for your reply. I hope others will respond.

Had the same problem with our 2010 3600RL.........heartland replaced the vinyl in the kitchen.....however it is now
bubbling up again......haven't reported it again as I didn't think they would replace a second time.

SamSmiley

Rick,

I appreciate your response. I just got our 3570 back from the dealer. Dealer tried to get Heartland to find a solution. Heartland could not come up with one. They only suggested a piece of luan material for the roller to roll on. They claim glueing the floor down would not help and refused to have it glued. They claim the weight from the roller would just destroy the lineoleum. Heartland asked me to get back with them after our trip to Texas in January and let them know what is happening with the floor. I plan on getting in touch with a vinyl floor dealer and see what they would recommend. I really can't believe Heartland would not come up with an answer. My 3670 is in warranty and will remain so until next April.

I really am disappointed with Heartland's response on this problem.

Thanks for your reply. I hope others will respond.

The luan strips do not work. I tried to insert them under the rollers as I moved the slides in, but the rollers only pushes them not rolling on them. Don't seem to find an answer. I will get with a flooring company and see if they have an answer.