300C vs. 3010

sJv

My wife and I have come to the realization that our Sundance doesn't work that well for our family anymore now that our kids are teens and we have more toys we like to take places. The only way we can see to get rid of our beloved Sundance is to replace it with a toy hauler that is as nice or nicer. I've looked at the "30" ft landscape, and have decided that I really like the Cyclone (Road Warrior, too). I was leaning toward the 3010 as the 300C didn't look worth the extra money on paper. Then I was able to compare a RW 30C to a 305 in person. I was blown away by the floorplan and openness of the Titanium. I can definitely see paying more for this floor plan and now have this at the top of my list.

BUT

I am hearing a number of issues with the 300C. This is disappointing. Is the 300C suffering from first year issues? Are there engineering and design issues? Are there quality control issues at Heartland? I know these things are slapped together in 5 days, and I think that's a big part of the RV industry problem.

Also, I plan to pull it with a 2006 Dodge 2500 long bed diesel. I worry that this isn't enough truck for the 300C, but should be fine for the 3010.

What do the 300C owners say? Are the new 3010 owners having a lot of issues as well? Would I be better off with the (somewhat) mature 3010 model?

-steve

Urban350

So far no issues other than the normal little ones most trailers have, nothing I would atribute to it being a 300C. I think if you measured the 2 you would find the 300c to be atleast 3' longer than the 3010. The 300c will have a smaller wardrobe but have a pantry in the kitchen.

71stang99

You can look up my posts about my initial impressions on the 2011 300c. I was able to fix some of the problems but others still linger and will have to wait until after the year to be addressed (hopefully warranty). The trailer is nice but the initial QC IMO should have been much higher.

Steve, I was in the exact same postion. I really liked the the 300c floorplan and I was ready to order one (dealers in my area don't carry them in stock) , but the higher pin weight was a real concern. With my F250 I just was'nt comfortable with the higher pin weight. I ended up placing a factory order for the 3010, which should be coming in within the next couple weeks. Dave

gpshemi

3010 is 35' with a pin of 2300lbs.
300 is 37'9" with a pin of 2900lbs.

Now the later is a heafty pin for a 3/4ton, but with a set of firestone bags and it being a 06 Dodge with a cummins I'd drag the snot out of it. Alot guys on here wouldn't though. You might not be happy with the combo is my point.

sJv

Thanks everyone for your responses!

The 300C is actually 18 inches longer than the spec on the website due to adding the basement. It's also about 1000 lbs heavier than the 3010. In theory, the titanium nose is a cool idea allowing you to move everything forward to reduce the amount of trailer behind the truck. In reality, this doesn't work out as nicely as you lose the basement. The original floorplan of the 30C/300C was 37'9" with NO basement. Heartland added 18" in the bedroom to make a small basement. Compare the 300C to the very similar Voltage 3200. The Voltage is shorter, lighter, and has a bigger basement. The living room is smaller, though. I'd love a Cyclone model with the 3200 floorplan and weight.

From talking to dealers, the 3010 is the highest volume Cyclone. I'm leaning ever so slightly toward the 3010, but darn, I sure love the space and layout of the 300C. Either way, my next purchase will be a Cyclone.

Steve

porthole

Retired
Steve - the two trailers side by side - in and out an around. The only way you will make a decision you can live with.
Pictures or looking at the two at different location just won't work.

sJv

Duane, I agree. I was able to compare the two Road Warrior equivalents. I definitely preferred the titanium layout. I love the large windows in the wide slide-out. We also camp with family and friends and everyone usually congregates in our trailer. The larger couch of the 300C would really come in handy. Unfortunately, this dealer with both models is 3.5 hours from my house (only half an hour from where I work during the week), so my wife is not likely to be able to see them, too. From the pictures and my description, though, my wife also prefers the 300C. I have a feeling that if we got the 3010, we'd always be pining for the 300C! My truck may be marginal, though, but I do have air bags and high capacity tires on it. I can see a dually in our future in a year or two.

Now to get the Sundance sold...

-steve

CrazyCooter

Duane, I agree. I was able to compare the two Road Warrior equivalents. I definitely preferred the titanium layout. I love the large windows in the wide slide-out. We also camp with family and friends and everyone usually congregates in our trailer. The larger couch of the 300C would really come in handy. Unfortunately, this dealer with both models is 3.5 hours from my house (only half an hour from where I work during the week), so my wife is not likely to be able to see them, too. From the pictures and my description, though, my wife also prefers the 300C. I have a feeling that if we got the 3010, we'd always be pining for the 300C! My truck may be marginal, though, but I do have air bags and high capacity tires on it. I can see a dually in our future in a year or two.

Now to get the Sundance sold...

-steve

You might run your truck over a scale and see what the unloaded axle weights are. Then you will have an idea if the heavier pin weight could be a problem.

My dually with heavier bumpers, tires, wheels, and toolbox was just over 6K on the rear axle with the unloaded trailer and us in the truck. You might be able to pull it off and stay under your 6010lb axle rating if you didn't put anything in the bed.

BarneyFife

A side note from a 370C owner.

Rarely do I see anyone talk about the "Titanium" nose of the 300C and 370C. This was actually a negative when we were deciding. Now that we have our 370, its one of the best features. The bedroom is great. We like the raised bed. But the aerodynamics are amazing for this toy hauler. We've had two travel trailers (much much lighter) before the Cyclone and its amazing how much more stable and aerodynamic this thing is. The nose of the 370 extends just barely over the cab of the truck. This seems to allow for a better air flow up and over the entire rig. From the grill of the truck to the rear of the camper, there's hardly anywhere the wind hits a large "block".

sJv

Thanks everyone for your input. The Sundance is sold :(. I was able to work a deal with Pan Pacific in French Camp for a 300C ordered to my specifications :). Their pricing is VERY competitive with the midwest "wholesalers". Now the wait begins...

-steve

AJJONES

Senior GM for Cyclone, Torque, Gateway & Sundance
Congratulations, we are very excited to have you come over to the Heartland Toy Hauler family! You are going to love your 300C, it is one of my favorite floor plans with the living space you receive, with such short towing length, and the aerodynamic benefits of the TI technology you will truly enjoy camping and hauling this unit.

CrazyCooter

You absolutely will love it and the wait will go by faster than you think.

The guys down there at the French Camp Store were very nice, but I was dealing with a salesman at the Roseville location who wasn't very eager to learn about the product, make a sale, or even order one for me........

Tony

We have a 300c on order and I am planning on pulling it with a 06 2500HD, pumped up 8.1, Allison 6 speed..Firestone bags and E rated tires on 4.10's. Hope this works.........if not I'll be in the market for a bigger pick up but think it will do fine. We too were torn between the 3010, Raptor or 300c but my wife REALLY liked the 300c better. It should be ready in about two weeks and we're looking forward to picking it up.

sJv

We'll have to see how our ram 2500 pulls it, too. I currently have two trucks. I mainly use the '04 Ford 6.0 4x4 with my Northern Lite truck camper, and the dodge for pulling the trailers (5th wheel and gooseneck horse trailer). I can see that we'll sell one of the trucks and get a 4x4 dually in the next couple of years. My wife has said all along we should have bought a dually, but stupid me! Both trucks are setup with airbags and higher load E tires.

AJ - thanks your kind help over the phone. I love how the Heartland folks are so approachable!

I looked at the Raptors, Fuzions, and Voltages. The Raptors didn't offer a sliding glass door to the garage, at least on the 300MP I looked at. I like the Fuzions and Voltages a lot, but feel the 300C really steps up the features to be competitive with the Voltages and TEIII's, but keeping the more understated residential interior. It's a great design.

-steve

Howdy

You absolutely will love it and the wait will go by faster than you think.

The guys down there at the French Camp Store were very nice, but I was dealing with a salesman at the Roseville location who wasn't very eager to learn about the product, make a sale, or even order one for me........

Tony

Must have been Herb. Hes a real waste of time. Looks like the Roseville Pan Pacific is going out of business as most of the lot is empty with the exception of 20 trailers that looked mostly used.

CrazyCooter

Must have been Herb. Hes a real waste of time. Looks like the Roseville Pan Pacific is going out of business as most of the lot is empty with the exception of 20 trailers that looked mostly used.

No, it was two different guys. Doesn't surprise me that there are more like them at that location. Neither the French Camp or Roseville had much to offer for sale when we were looking in July.

DC10-FE

Thanks everyone for your input. The Sundance is sold :(. I was able to work a deal with Pan Pacific in French Camp for a 300C ordered to my specifications :). Their pricing is VERY competitive with the midwest "wholesalers". Now the wait begins...

-steve

Just a small piece of advice about the French Camp dealership. I purchased a 3010 from them in April of last year. The sales staff was extremely helpful and knowledgeable and they too made the price worth the purchase compared to the Midwest dealers. The problem I had was when I went to pick it up. The PDI was nonexistent. The service manager had more pressing issues that day and turned the PDI over to a salesman. The salesman tried his best to answer the service and repair questions I had, but he wasn't too sure what the service dept.'s policy or procedures were regarding fixing the manufacture shortcomings.

When I took the trailer in for the repairs, the service manager's knowledge was extremely lacking in the RV products in general. He wasn't aware that you didn't need to be hooked up to shore power to open the slides and took a lot of pictures and did a lot of head nodding followed by a bunch of "uh huh's". Needless to say, they had my coach for over a month each time I dropped it off and hadn't touched it until I repeatedly called to find out the status of the repairs each time I took it in. Additionally, all the items on the repair order were done either half-assed or not at all. The items they supposedly fixed, failed after the first trip out of the shop. I ended up fixing many of the "easy fixes" myself and took the unit back to French Camp on multiple times when the parts came in. Unfortunately, many of the ordered parts were the wrong ones or not ordered at all. I found that out when I was told for the third time my parts were on back order, so I called Heartland who told me there were no parts on order for my rig. Amazingly, I got a call from the dealer that same afternoon to tell me my rig was done. I finally got tired of the run around and contacted the Roseville dealership. There, I talked to Tony in the service dept. In one visit, his crew fixed EVERYTHING French Camp failed to resolve including putting a new roof on due to a design flaw with the ladder (there are pictures of the ladder issue on another thread).

I guess my point is, be very weary of the service dept. at French Camp. If you can take it to Roseville for service, I HIGHLY recommend them over French Camp. Unless of course you like to visit the dealership on a regular basis, get the run around or are having trouble storing the trailer locally. BTW, my trailer hasn't been near the dealer for any repairs since Tony fixed it right the last time. Everything still works like new and I still love my 3010.