What do you think?

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Seems to me like some of the managers of RV manufacturers don't have a clue about RVing. I mean they have never spent a night in an RV. If I owned an RV manufacturering company I would require all of my management people to spend at least 3 days/nights a year in an RV of the type they manage. Maybe then they would see how placement of switches, cabinets, thermostats etc affect the RV. What do you think?

TedS

I like it. Was just thinking that the day I moved the light switches to a lower position in the dark cabinet so I can at least feel them even though I can't see them in the dark. Must have been put there by a tall designer who turns lights on only during the day.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Why limit it to only 3 days? Why not require them to live in one for a month, doing everything necessary themselves? They could see how incinvenient it is to have to go out in the rain/snow etc. to change the propane bottles or to dump a full tank. Even better to make them do the small repairs (water leaks, etc.) or even change out those hot-hot-hot halogen bulbs.

Delaine and Lindy

Its very interesting when talking to a salesman when buying a new RV. Just ask what type of RV do they own. Most or many have never owned a RV much less spent any time in one. Just ask what weight your Truck can handle, what pin weight etc. Never understood how a sale man expect to sell something they know nothing about.. Excellent post Jim, Thanks.....

BruteForce

Agree completely. Our salesman wasn't an RV owner, but bragged about his power boat.

At my office, my staff is required to interact with the line workers and know/feel/understand what they're going through. How best to learn to support an operation than to feel it.

pegmikef

Yep and let's make sure they have to disconnect it and set it up so they have to go through the leveling, utilities hookup, and making it liveable. Then have them tear it down and hook it up. They wouldn't necessarily have to tow it though.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I'd love to hear from someone at the factory to see what their thoughts are on this topic.

rebootsemi

We must be dreaming, a factory mgn or sales person actually knowing something about what they build or sell, you folks joke I'm sure.

ChopperBill

I notice that a few things that folks were complaining about of this forum got changed so at least Heartland is listening.

wdk450

Seems to me like some of the managers of RV manufacturers don't have a clue about RVing. I mean they have never spent a night in an RV. If I owned an RV manufacturering company I would require all of my management people to spend at least 3 days/nights a year in an RV of the type they manage. Maybe then they would see how placement of switches, cabinets, thermostats etc affect the RV. What do you think?

So how about Heartland setting up about 5 full hookup spaces at the factory? They could be used for staff and dealer live-in/training, factory service option for rigs with severe problems or major upgrades, let assembly line staff use them to give them the desire to buy one (Henry Ford advocated paying his workers and pricing his product - Model T- so that his workers were buyers).

GOTTOYS

Along the same line..I went on a tour of the Polaris ATV and Snowmobile factory a couple years ago in Roseau, MN. They have a large stock of ATVs, Side by Sides and when in season, Snowmobiles adjacent to the factory. These are free for the employees to use whenever they want. I don't know how long they could have them out but it sure seemed like a nice benefit to me. I bet there isn't a single person there that doesn't know what their products can do and everybody we talked to sure seemed enthusiastic and happy to work there...Don