Power Converter PD9200 installation?

R-Bryan

I have a 2011 Big Horn 3670RL that came with a Progressive Dynamics Inteli Power 9200 60amp power converter. While attempting to connect the 50amp RV plug to a 30amp residential outlet I fried the power converter. Found out later you can't connect a 30amp RV plug to a 30amp double pole circuit breaker...anyway, I confirmed it was cooked by taking it apart and observing the blown lid on one of the two capacitors, nasty smell too. My stupid tax was to have to replace the entire unit.

Here's my problem, when I removed the OE power converter it had one wire connected to the ground and one white wire connected to the inside negative terminal, and wow was it torqued down! No other wires were connected to it, nothing out of the positive terminal. I received my new replacement (identical) power converter and the installation shows a ground to the chassis, a negative connection that runs to the negative battery terminal and a positive connection that connects somewhere between the DC Distribution Panel and the battery positive post. Which all makes sense that it would have wires connected to both a positive and negative source. However, the OE installation had only the negative connection?

I called Progressive Dynamics and they confirmed it should have a positive connection. Called Heartland Customer service, had to leave a message, but no call back yet. Is is possible for this thing to function properly with just a negative wire connection? It appeared to operate normally prior to my screwing it up.

Thanks,

Ray

Northern Virginia
The positive wire has to be there. Mine is a red #6 AWG. And yes, those Allen head screws are torqued down tight.

Don't forget that when you are disconnecting the positive wire, it is still hot (as it is also connected to your battery). I would unplug the converter and disconnect the battery before swapping out the converter.

John

R-Bryan

Thanks for the replies gents. There was a red, heavy gauge wire among the gagle of wires that needed a home. Since the converter worked prior to my frying it, the positive wire must have been very loosley connected and poped off as soon as I pulled the convert around to disconnect the torqued down negative wire.

Thanks for the tip to disconnect the battery, would not have thought to do that! The new converter is installed, everything is opertating normally again... ready for the next OU tailgate in two weeks. Cheers!