Auto Leveling system

ChangingPlaces

Hi
We are about to order the Lippert 6 leg Auto Leveling System within the next week or so.
Before we do we would like to here from people that have this system and what they think of it.
We muck around to try to make our unit as level as possible, this system looks like it would make our job of leveling a lot easier. Does this system stop the rig from moving about.
Your thoughts and comments welcome.
Cheers Paul

DougAndJudy

We got ours installed at the end of June. We love it!! It's a treat to unhook the truck then start the autolevel. We can start our utility hookups while the rig is leveling.

As jnbhobe mentioned, it takes a lot of the movement out, but not all.

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
I would agree with all the above treads , sure do love mine ,it makes you want to hook back up and do did again, almost.......Kenny

We have had ours since a year ago last August. It is well worth the money.
Can't beat pushing a button and watch it do it's thing.
Most of the movement of the 5er goes away, but not all.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, what the others have said. After having ours for 14 months now I still can't believe how fast I can set up.

Peace
Dave

Delaine and Lindy

Hi Paul, we have owned two 5th wheels with the 6 point Level Up system and would never ever go back to the electric jacks. As others have said the Level Up system will take some of the movement out but there will always be some movement, thats just the nature of setting on the Center Point air ride system, or the other suspensions. I don't have the fully Automatic system, I can have it added it ($300.00) at anytime however I just prefer the manual system. Our 5th weight is 17,500 lbs and it will lift all wheels off the ground for servicing the tires or suspension. There have been many times in the past 3 years we have been on a site that was very unleveled and one side or the other the tires were 6" or so off the ground and no issues... I no longer use the Roto/Choks or any type of king pin Jack. I do have a set of rubber chok blocks that cost less than $20.00 (Tractor Supply or Truck store) and only use them when hooking up and thats to prevent the 5er from rolling backwards, you never want the 5er to roll back with the front landing gear down, it puts pressure on the legs and several have had issues with the front legs binding. I highly recommend the Lippert 6 point Level Up System. Good Luck with your decision. Happy Trails...

porthole

Retired
Two things I did to the trailer that were the best things done. LevelUp and an electric reel for the cord.

LevelUp does exactly what is mentioned in this thread.

As for stopping all the movement? You have to think about what is going on. Without a leveling system you are leveling your trailer on boards under the tires. So the trailer is still sitting on the suspension. You get movement from the suspension still doing it's thing and maybe some sway from the landing gear.

With the LevelUp you are taking the suspension out of the equation. But you replaced it with 4-6 "pipes", maybe holding your trailer up with an extension of 1-2 feet. Not using the suspension anymore minimizes that movement, but you still can get some sway from the trailer sitting on those 4-6 pipes.
You can again minimize that movement with the several varieties of stabilizers on the market.

It is a "rolling earthquake", you cannot eliminate all the movement. But, no doubt, after the first use you will be convinced.

ATLJOHN

We also had the level up system installed after the Heartland rally. I love it no more boards or trying to get level manually. We also still use the electric rear jacks which does help the movement. But my wife not longer yells at me when I take the dog out while she is in bed. So I think you will be impressed the movement is reduced alot but not entirely.

I would never have another trailer without the level up system. I am sure you will be very impressed. Good luck.

porthole

Retired
Electric rear stabilizers - used them sometimes after installing the LevelUp, maybe once in 10 setups.
They caused a problem going in and out of my driveway (scraping)
Then I bent one leg playing around with the hydraulics.

Now the stab jacks are on the driveway under the trailer - not attached anymore. And I don't miss them.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
We were the very first Heartland retro-fit of the 6 legged Level-Up...have had it since 2009 and would NOT be without one again!!

As for movement, it will not eliminate movement...we added the Steadyfast system which DOES remove virtually all movement...almost like sitting on blocks now, and only requires tightening three T handles after set-up. Can barely feel the washer go into spin cycle....

ChangingPlaces

We were the very first Heartland retro-fit of the 6 legged Level-Up...have had it since 2009 and would NOT be without one again!!

As for movement, it will not eliminate movement...we added the Steadyfast system which DOES remove virtually all movement...almost like sitting on blocks now, and only requires tightening three T handles after set-up. Can barely feel the washer go into spin cycle....

Hi everyone

Thank you for all your replies and information. Sounds good, Auto Level Up system now on order.

Ken and Kathy, you mentioned a Steadyfast system.
Did you install the system yourself?
Were there any problems installing it to the Auto Level up system?
If only staying overnight and you don't want to unhitch, do you manually control the auto level system at all 6 points and does this then activate the Steadyfast system for stability without unhitching?

Look forward to your reply.
Cheers
Paul and Amanda

porthole

Retired
Auto Level Up system now on order.

That will make you smile :D

Ken and Kathy, you mentioned a Steadyfast system.
Did you install the system yourself?

I used JT Stabilizers, similar to the Steady Fast, both use the "triangle method" for stability. I did my install. It is relatively simple if you are handy.

Were there any problems installing it to the Auto Level up system?

You will need to make a modification or two, depends on which front landing gear you now have.

If only staying overnight and you don't want to unhitch, do you manually control the auto level system at all 6 points and does this then activate the Steadyfast system for stability without unhitching?

When we do a "no unhook" overnight I drop the front gear to take some weight off the truck and may or may not use the LevelUp. Really depends on whether it is a short or long overnight and how level the spot is. If I use the feature, it will be a manual operation (very easy) because the auto level needs to drop the nose of the trailer first then come back up to find a baseline for front to rear level.

I don't use the mechanical stabilizers for short stays. The hydraulics taking a load off the suspension (even just an inch) make for a fairly stable trailer.

Here is my stabilizer add on with a LevelUp
//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/11365-And-so-it-begins?p=191800&viewfull=1#post191800

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Can anyone post some pics of their JTs or Steadfast systems being use on the level up? I am very interested in this. The washer and dryer drives me crazy....

2psnapod2

Duane on the Level Up, do the feet come off the legs? I have never looked under them to see if there are screws, and since we are set up for a short term. Will be moving again next month for a few days but since the legs are down I can see the bottoms.

porthole

Retired
Single bolt from the bottom up into the leg. Since they are not bolted tight to the leg there are o-rings to take up some of the slack. The bolt is tight, not the pad, needs to be able to move.

2psnapod2

Thanks for the info. After looking at your pics I was thinking it had to be removable.