New TV, no signal

katy5150

We just moved back to PA from WA and are currently living in our 2010 North Country untill we can find a home. I broke down yesterday & bought a 24" Insignia form Best Buy at a super great price. I didn't realize that the campground does not have a cable hook up, but my husband (the electrical engineer) assured me that we could work off the antenna. So the TV is plugged in, the 3 color cables are pluged in, the cable wire is connected from the TV to the wall. We ran the channel scan on the TV using the antenna option, but we are not getting any signal. We used the DVD player off the stereo last night so I know the TV works. I've been reading about a red light booster - I found the booster buton, but the red light does not light up when you press it. Any ideas? This is our first RV & I'm new to this whole thing, so I'm sure I'm missing something simple (hopefully)! Thanks!

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Hellow Katy5150 and welcome to the forum.
It looks like you are on the right track as far as getting a signal. The booster must be on to use the antenna signal.
I would take the booster out and look at the back side to be sure all the wires are connected and tight.
Are there any 12 volt lights in the area? Do they work? The booster may get it's power from the same circuit.
Come back when you get a signal and let us know what the fix was.
Oh, and has a TV worked in the past using the antenna?

Peace
Dave

katy5150

Hey Dave, Thanks for the quick response! I took the cable outlet out of the wall & all the connections are tight. I did notice that where the cable jack attaches to the board on the back side of the outlet, it's rusting. I'm wondering if that is causing the poor connection & causing the light not to come on when you press the red button. Off to Radio Shack I go!

Katy

wdk450

Katy:
That LED not being on is your first big clue. You might have to unscrew the plate with the button from the wall, and check if it is getting 12 volts or not. If not, check your master fuse panel for a blown fuse. If 12 volts is there, I remember a fuse being ON the amplifier circuit board behind the plate (at least on older models of this amplifier).
You mentioned color coded wires into your TV. This is the composite input into your RV. The antenna (RF) input to the TV should be a seperate, round, coaxial cable with a screw-on connector, that should connect to the "Cable" jack on the wall behind the TV.

mnkamper

Founding MN Chapter Leader-retired
I'll add another fly to this ointment. Our booster had worked great until last summer. Fuses were fine and power appeared to be fine. After calling Heartland Customer Service we figured the booster had failed. I got a new booster and that wouldn't power up either. I ended up taking the roof antennae apart and removing the circuit board in there.... then put everything back together. Everything worked fine.... even the old original booster! Only thing I can figure out is the circuit board in the antennae was shorting out power.

katy5150

I didn't notice a fuse in the amp circut board, but we're probably going to have to replace that one due to the major rust on the board. My husband didn't see any blown fuses in the main panel and since we're in the middle of a snow storm right now, there will be no work on the antenna. Sadly, the volt meter is with our household goods in shipping/storage. I guess we have a shopping list for Radio Shack! I'll be back to let you know how we made out. Thanks so much for all the help.
Katy