MPG: Does the HWH run on Electric and Gas at the same time?

marc515

We've used our MPG a few times, always hooked up to electric, and have turned the HWH switchs (interior wall and on HWH) to the on position, and water has been hot. I've never heard the gas fire up, and presumed it was operating on electric only.

I thought that you could use operate the HWH on either gas oly or electric only; however, had a friend indicate that the HWH can run on both gas and electric for faster recovery.

Of course, the instruction manual was not too clear.

Would greatly appreciate some insight into the operation of these HWH's.

Thank you

branson4020

Icantre Member
Yes, you can run on both for faster recovery. Of course, you do have to turn on the switch for the gas on your monitor panel.

marc515

Yes, you can run on both for faster recovery. Of course, you do have to turn on the switch for the gas on your monitor panel.

The MPG does not have a monitor panel; so how do you run gas and elecric and the same time?

EDIT: The MPG does have a monitor panel

Last edited:

57chevyconvt

Is there a panel that gives the readout for underbelly tank levels? Normally the gas HWH switch is located in the bottom row of swithes on this panel. In addition to the switch on the inside, there should also be an 'off/on' switch behind the removal access cover to the HWH on the outside of the RV.

RollingHome

I have run both electric and gas on my water heater for quick recovery at the same time. It allowed the gals to get the shampoo out of their long hair. It allowed the guys to get a warm shower. Both electric & gas systems have their own T-Stats which will cycle on/off as needed. If the water heater should by chance over heat the T&P valve would pop and relieve excess pressure. The T&P valve never opened. Trust me, when a T&P pops... you will know it, no question about that, you absolutely will know it.

marc515

Thanks guys; I figured it out with help from a friend of mine. The MPG does have a monitor panel. I don't know what I was hinking of when I indicated it didn't; Don't drink, so I can't blame it on that! (LOL)

ptarthur2

Well now I think I need some clairification about this. My MPG 183 has a monitor panel alright and there are 3 switches along the bottom. one is labled test and provides a readout of the tanks and battery level. One is labeled Pump which is switched on when not connect to city water and one is labeled Heater which I assumed was for the furnace. In addition there is a light switch on the wall next to the pantry labled Water Heater. Is the switch on the monitor panel labeled Heater actually for the Hot Water Heater instead of the furnace and if so is that for gas or electric operation?

branson4020

Icantre Member
Well now I think I need some clairification about this. My MPG 183 has a monitor panel alright and there are 3 switches along the bottom. one is labled test and provides a readout of the tanks and battery level. One is labeled Pump which is switched on when not connect to city water and one is labeled Heater which I assumed was for the furnace. In addition there is a light switch on the wall next to the pantry labled Water Heater. Is the switch on the monitor panel labeled Heater actually for the Hot Water Heater instead of the furnace and if so is that for gas or electric operation?

The switch on the monitor panel is for the gas opertion of your water heater. The furnace is controlled by a wall thermostat.

ptarthur2

Thanks for the info! That explains why my furnace is running when the Heater switch is turned off on the monitor panel. We are currently out on our first trip where we needed to run the furnace and dicovered the fuse had been removed and taped to the inside of the fuse panel. Apparently this is the only way to turn the furnace off because it will run even with the thermostat set as low as possible.