Tailgate question

iefpro01

I have nticed a lot of folks getting the 5ver tailgate. Why? What are the benefits of this type tailgate?

Forrest Fetherolf

iefpro1,

I use a louvered tailgate because of the visibility. If you should make a mistake and forget to lower it, there is a chance that the hitch pin will clear the tailgate without damage. Louvered tailgate tests show inconclusive evidence as to better fuel mileage or less wind resistance.

Forrest

jbeletti

Gotta love those Mythbusters :)

To add to the benefits already stated, the louvered gate is way lighter than the OEM gate. And there are times when hauling furniture etc., that I take off the v-gate. Light is nice.

Jim

SmokeyBare

One good reason....

I am forced to lower the tail gate so I can hitch up... and if I'm not careful... and don't come in square to the trailer... The corner of the tail gate will forcefully poke a hole in the basement door.

No.... I DO NOT Want to explain how I know this....

:) Marv (-:

iefpro01

MARV - Major LOL! Hey sounds like a good idea to put this on my list of things to upgrade on my tow vehicle. SO far

1) Walker Big Truck Muffler (already ordered)
2) Gauges _ I think I will get two (a Pyro and Trans temp.)
3) FORD AIS heavy duty intake system
4) Now the tailgate

MY DW is going to kill me! LOL - my list keeps growing...

jpmorgan37

As long as you are ordering gauges, don't forget the Exhaust Gas Temperature gauge. It is the best Turbo saver that you can get.

John

jpmorgan37

iefpro01;

I should have read what you posted more carefully. Then I would have seen that you had it covered.

John

BluegrassMan

Guy's
Getting back to the tailgate question, I watched the Mythbusters show on the tailgate question. I agree with their findings, BUT I asked myself while I was watching, "What about all the wind pressure hitting the front of our 5th wheel? That's a whole different subject, there has to be air pressure deflected down in the bed. Where does that go? I guess it just gives me a warm fuzzy feeling thinking the louvered gate helps.

tdharley

I use a 5th tailgate.

I bought it at first for looks to match my other accesories.

After hooking up a few times I am really glad I purchased it. I park on a small angle were I store the rig and I think if I had to put my tailgate down I would come too close for comfort to the rig.

I also installed a backup camera and the Zaxis remote and it is simple to hookup without getting out of the truck.

Attachments

• hitch camera pict.JPG
    hitch camera pict.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 71
  • rear view truck shrunk.JPG
    rear view truck shrunk.JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 72
Most people I know that have the 5er tailgate do so because they damaged their original tailgate when they forgot to lower it.

jpmorgan37

I've had four different trucks, four 5er tailgates and never damaged the original. With the amount of air that comes off the front of a fifth wheel into the bed of the truck, the louvered tailgate allows it to flow out of the bed, decreasing wind resistance and improves fuel economy to some degree.

jpmorgan37 said:
I've had four different trucks, four 5er tailgates and never damaged the original. With the amount of air that comes off the front of a fifth wheel into the bed of the truck, the louvered tailgate allows it to flow out of the bed, decreasing wind resistance and improves fuel economy to some degree.

Yeah, I know. It was meant to be funny - forgot to put the little funny face at the end.

wfwilson

Founding Canadian Region Director - Retired
I dont have a louvered tail gate. Interesting I did not think of the air pressure comming from the front of the trailer. I am happy with my improved milage with diesel when switching from Gas! Does anyone know how much you really do gain in MPG(Diesel)? Is it worth the cost of the louvered tail gate? I appreciate any info people may have as to MPG!
Thanks
Wayne

ChopperBill

Just my opinion. I wouldn't rely on a louvered tail gate to give any better millage. I have the Turbo Net tail gate and it is great for convenience in loading and unloading. One day I will get the high dollar unit.

Forrest Fetherolf

wfwilson,

Mileage tests provide no conclusive evidence the louvered or bar type tail gates increase fuel mileage. They are lighter and provide greater visibility. Some say they had problems when hooking up with the regular tail gate lowered. I have the round bar type and would not go back to the regular tail gate.

Forrest

phranc

The louvered gate helps a lot ( as JP said) in turbulance in the bed. Before the louvered gate I sometimes would forget to tie down a cooler and the air pressure would float it against the bottom of the 'Horn'.. With the gate now everything stays in place..plus it's just one less step in hooking up..