Front AC question

Gary521

There are a couple of low profile AC recommendations on this forum. However, have a question. Are there any that shut off with the thermostat when the desired temp is reached? From what I understand, the front AC has the fan run continually but the compressor cycles on and off. I have a Fantastic fan in the front bedroom now. This fan has a wall thermostat. Can the wires from this thermostat be used with the new AC? I do not know how many wires are on this thermostat. I heard someplace that the AC needs 4 wires from the stat. If I am only using AC and not heat, can I get by with less wires if I do not have them? I guess that is three questions.

danemayer

I don't have our unit available to doublecheck, but I'm pretty sure the front A/C thermostat can be set so the fan runs continuously on High or Low, or the fan can be set to run on AUTO, in which case it shuts off with the compressor when the target temperature is reached.

When it's hot out, and the living room A/C is struggling, I set the bedroom thermostat to it's coldest temp and put the fan on HIGH. Then I position the airflow vents to push air into the hallway to help the living room cool.

In milder weather, I just use AUTO with a normal temperature setpoint.

Jimmy

My front A/C thermostat can be set so the fan runs continuously on High or Low, or the fan can be set to run on AUTO, in which case it shuts off with the compressor when the target temperature is reached. "Dometic Penguin"

hoefler

Our Penguin is the same way. I believe you can get a remote thermostat inside trim, but don't know what wiring is required.

archbarb

Our front A/C which is a Dometic Penguin, can run on auto, which cycles the fan on and off with the compressor, or on continuously when the compressor shuts off.

I'm not sure how many wires are required to operate the A/C!!!!!

Archie

Gary521

From what I can determine, the "auto" cycle of the unit depends on the model. ( Dometic Penguin ). The AC for the "auto" cycle needs 12 v power as well as the normal 110v power. Does anybody know if the trailers that come prewired for the bedroom AC also come with the 12 v prewired? If they don't, how difficult is it to get 12 volt power to the front AC unit?

The wall mount thermostat for the Fantastic Fan has only 2 wires where the AC thermostat needs 4 wires. How difficult is it to fish the wires for the stat?

hoefler

The Penguin only requires 110 volt power, no 12 volt needed. Works just like the main unit, except the thermostat and fan control is on the ceiling trim.

Jimmy

The Penguin only requires 110 volt power, no 12 volt needed. Works just like the main unit, except the thermostat and fan control is on the ceiling trim.

Mine (Penqiin) has a separate thermostat on the wall, probable some kind of low voltage?

hoefler

Mine (Penqiin) has a separate thermostat on the wall, probable some kind of low voltage?

Any power that is needed by the Penguin thermostat, whether the thermostat is on the unit or the wall, will be provided by the 110 volt connected at the Penguin

Gary521

I checked with Dometic and it depends on which model and which controls you have or want. Some need the extra 12 volt power. Your main AC has 12 volt power running to it. Check out the 12v fuse box. You will see a fuse for the main AC. Go to the Dometic web site. You will find instructions that stipulate extra 12 volt power on some models. In other words " It all depends." I called Heartland Customer Service and the added 12 volt power to the front AC prep depends upon the year and the model. The Customer Service rep was not quite sure about all of this.