Question on Onan 5500 oil change

wingfoot

I have changed the oil and filter on my Onan 5500 gas gen. set for the first time..The service manual calls for two quarts of oil when changing the filter. I got a good drain (warm). On oil refill I can/could not get the system to hold more than a quart and half of oil...I even let it run for awhile after the change and the level did not change.
Any ideas on why I can't get the recommended oil capacity level?

rustyshakelford

I had the same experience. Ended up running it for about 20 hrs and checked the level to see that it would take the rest of the oil now. Topped it off, seems to be fine now. was your filter very very tight?

Brett

danemayer

Mine also seemed like it was full before I put in the entire 2nd quart. It was last year, so the memory is vague, but I think I ran it for a little while and was able to add some more. Eventually it took the entire 2 quarts and didn't seem to be overfilled.

wingfoot

I had the same experience. Ended up running it for about 20 hrs and checked the level to see that it would take the rest of the oil now. Topped it off, seems to be fine now. was your filter very very tight?

Brett

No not at all...I took a new filter to Auto Zone and matched up with cup that would fit my filter. Worked like a charm and at a cost of about $5.00. 3/8" drive with an extension.

Thanks for the responses..I feel better now:)