Wasp & Dirt Dobber screens

Bob Vaughn

Today I took a ride over to CW to just browse and found a couple of sets of Camco insect screens for my Dometic refrigerator outside doors in my Big Country. It came with 2 zip ties for each screen. What a joke. I put those on and realized that as loose as they were pigmy wasps could just squeeze by the edges. So I put 6 on each one now they are nice and snug and no bugs will get by them....Here in Fl. wasps love to build nests close to propane......:)

57chevyconvt

Bob,
If convenient, could you post a picture of the refrig vent screen? Do you have a CW item number for the screen? I am looking for a screen to do the job you have described.
Thanks

Bob Vaughn

Here is the Camco number, Camco 42149 Flying Insect Screen.....It was in their clearance bin so they had blacked out their part # but I googled the camco part number and it shows a photo of what I got......

GOTTOYS

I tried a set of them last year and they didn't cover the openings like they should have. I returned them to Tweedys and they gave me a refund no questions asked. I would be careful putting too many layers of screen over those openings so as not to block the airflow...Don

Last edited:

Bob Vaughn

What do you mean putting too many layers, only one screen goes over each opening, thats 3 openings on the bottom and 3 openings on the top....I had made my own on my other camper and had them on for 11 years and no problem with reducing air flow.....We have lots and lots of wasps here and they even build nests on the underside of our elephant ear plants and around the eaves of the house and by the door and window openings in the house.......

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We have lots of wasps here in NTX. When we dropped the underbelly, I was amazed how many dirt-dauber nests came tumbling out! Even found one attached on wiring going to a side-marker-light. Our belly was well sealed, so I guess holes in the frame for the slides, etc. were the entry point. (I think a thorough inspection of the AC units will be in order before next season.) We have the screens you were talking about for the fridge. Two of the upper vents are blocked with the baffle (dealer installed) to make sure our fridge runs properly. Haven't had a problem since the baffle was installed.

E

hoefler

On our rig, I cut fiberglass window screen to size, on the back side of the vent I laid a bead of polyurethane caulk, then pushed the window screen into it and smoothed it out. Let it cure and trimmed off the excess. You can't tell that the screen is there from the front side and no wasp problems either.

davebennington

We had problems with mud dobbers building their nests in areas of our coach. To keep them out I used metal screening on all of the openings and hot glued several on the back of the refrigerator door. It has worked very well for years now.

truknutt

Committed Member
Just a quick thought...while installing screens on the "easy to get to" vents, don't forget the reefer's exhaust vent as well. Freckles, Dieselengineer & I were discussing ways to keep the stink bugs out and I was showing off my new, shiny reefer vents, proud as a peacock, when "the engineer" glanced skyward and said, "What about the roof vent?" Just sayin'!!!