Truck oil change today

GOTTOYS

Went to a Chrysler dealer for an oil change today. Went out to get in the truck and there were 2 big greasy spots on my driver's seat cushion. I had just cleaned my truck yesterday. Rounded up a Service Advisor and made him clean it off. While I was waiting to get it cleaned I noticed a roll of plastic seat covers hanging by the door. When he was done I asked him if they used those. His reply was "No, all our guys are usually clean". Ah-ha. When I got home I opened the hood to see if they spilled oil on the engine, I had just cleaned that too and it had been spotless. I had to take a rag and wipe off the dribbles around the filler cap and down the front of the valve cover. It wasn't bad and could have been wiped up in seconds if the dumbazz would have cared. Makes me wonder how clean the guy must keep his personal car...I hope I get a Chrysler survey as I'm still under warranty. And the dealer wonders why their business keeps falling off....Time to find another dealer.... I'm better now....Don :mad:

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
It seems like some service places are good on the surface but if you inspect the work afterwards you'll find things not as we would like them to be. When I was in the trade about 40 or so years ago, I made a habit of cleaning off the grease fittings before doing a lube job. It's become something I inspect after paying for an LOF. Half the time the car/truck never sees the grease gun. I always check the oil afterwards also.
Recently before we left for the winter, I did my own LOF and trans oil & filter change on the truck. The oil pan drain plug was a mess. Rounded off and it showed signs of the wrong size wrench being used. A trip to NAPA was in order. It's sad, really. I think it's mainly younger techs that could care less.

GOTTOYS

I agree Ray. When I was in the business a lot of the lube techs were young guys that were going to school. Most of them were pretty good. I wish the Service Advisor would have grabbed the lube tech and let me show him what I was ticked off about. He didn't learn anything if he didn't have to clean it up before listening to a few words of wisdom from me....Don

mmomega

AnyTimer
If most of those guys would just learn that it is the little things that make a difference they would go further.

I already expect if the guy is working there he should know how to change the oil but making sure they don't make a mess in the process or if they do, then clean your mess, apologize and move on. That goes a long way to make sure you have repeat customers.

**** when I got to my first base when I was in the Air Force before I could touch anything my supervisor put me on housekeeping duty for about a week. He said if I can trust you to keep everything clean then I can trust you to touch my tools. Start at the bottom and work your way up and do not forget where you started once you get to the top.

wdk450

I guess my gripe about my last oil change is the fact that the techs LIED in print about checking the differential. They said that they could not check the differential level due to "a large leak in the rear axle seals". I immediately went out to where it was parked, looked underneath at the differential, and everything was dry and dusty! Just as well, as I have AMSOIL differential fluid in it and those WalMart techs wouldn't have that anyways. They did have a diesel rated sythetic blend oil on their shelves I had to make the sales rep aware of, too.

lwmcguir

Other than price we have excellent work performed by our Ford Dealers. Use full synthetic oil and the change runs $150 each time. Never have had an issue in many years with three different local dealers but again it does cost more that Wally World or the drive in places.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Gottoys - I know everytime we have any of our Dodge/Chrysler vehicles serviced, we get a phone call with 2 days asking about the service and if there was any problems. Hopefully you will get one of these calls.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Everytime I have been dissatisfied with a service I always tell the dealership General Manager. I normally get their attention by telling them the survey will reflect their quality of service.

traveler44

Took my car to a quick oil change place one time and they wanted to do everything but change the oil right. I opened the hood later and found they had left the oil filler cap off. That was a little more encouragement to change it myself. Did you ever notice that they never send you a customer satisfaction survey when you really have something to say? Tom