ATF: Greystone - 2011 gs32re front cap fading

krabbydad

Is there a problem with the front cap fading,the reason i am asking is that i read it somewhere that it is a problem. they said that the manufacture forgot to add somthing to the paint???

jimtoo

HI krabbydad,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully the Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share if needed.

I remember a few comments about that, but it was on the Big Country line and the factory stepped up and made right I'm sure. There were only a few and not the Greystone line.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

pegmikef

Is there a problem with the front cap fading,the reason i am asking is that i read it somewhere that it is a problem. they said that the manufacture forgot to add somthing to the paint???

I just read something about that on the rvnet where Heartland was going to ship the part to the guy, but he would have to pay for the labor because it was out of warranty. I don't know if there was any resolution. First time I have heard of it. Usually folks are complaining about decals.

RJW993

Mine is also fading very noticeable. It is off warranty by about 4 months and I started noticing it just after the warranty ended. I drive past a Greystone dealership regularly and two of them on the lot are getting really bad. I hope that is not the future of this trailer. I have spent several hours of elbow grease with only minor effect.

JJnLilly

Check with Heartland Dealer Services. Mine is long out of Warranty and they are going to help. Apparently it was/is a problem.

Vtxkid

If it is a 2011 gray cap no matter what name it has on it, it is a problem that Heartland knows about. Call Heartland Customer service!

GOTTOYS

Other than ease of application, is there any advantage of the paint rather than gel coat?
No advantage to painting except it is not as apt to fade, but it can scratch, chip or peel. With gel-coat there is one less step during the manufacturing process. Easier handling as well. The color is impregnated into the fiberglass. If it gets scratched it can be easily buffed out unlike paint. Very few fiberglass finished parts are painted. Most boats have a colored gel-coat with a layer of clear gel-coat over the top for shine and protection. In time the unprotected gel-coat will fade and turn dull from the effect of UV rays....Don

swanndive

I still have a few months left on my warranty for my 33QS and called Heartland today after reading this forum. The process was quick and easy. He entered the incident and asked that the dealer send in a quote first because they have had some dealers try to charge extremely high rates to correct the issue.

JJnLilly

"No advantage to painting except it is not as apt to fade, but it can scratch, chip or peel. With gel-coat there is one less step during the manufacturing process. "

If you could see the front of our Greystone you would see the advantage of painting. I can clear up the faded area for a day or two and that is it. When anyone sees the faded areas on the front cap I just tell them it is the manufacturer's fault....they can see that the rest is nice, smooth and bright.

I too have the the fading front cap on my 2011 Big Country.
It seems to have just started in the last 3 months.
It was not like that in April when I put it is storage after I came back from Alabama.
I just called the factory after reading these posts, and am awaiting there return call.
The rest of the coach looks great, just the top 18" or so of the front cap is fading.
It really is looking bad.

Hockster

=======================================================================================================================================

JJnLilly

What they are offering me is about half of what the two estimates are. Debating whether to pay the extra myself or just put a sign on it that this is the way the gray caps fade from Heartland.

NewRoads

We are new to the forum but have been RV'ing for many years with a 5th wheel. We love our Heartland but we also have the fading front cap issue on our 2011 Greystone, with the same situation as others (started a few months ago/Heartland will only pay a portion). We are very frustrated with the situation and feel it should be fully repaired as it has been for others with the same problem.

danemayer

We are new to the forum but have been RV'ing for many years with a 5th wheel. We love our Heartland but we also have the fading front cap issue on our 2011 Greystone, with the same situation as others (started a few months ago/Heartland will only pay a portion). We are very frustrated with the situation and feel it should be fully repaired as it has been for others with the same problem.
Hi NewRoads,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. There's quite a bit of useful information here and no shortage of friendly people who are willing to share what they know. In short, it's a great community of owners reaching out help one another.

I'm sorry you're having this problem. One suggestion I have is that if you've not made direct contact with Heartland Customer Service, you should. 877-262-8032. Have your Vin # handy. I wouldn't be surprised if you've already done so, but if not, you should.

relocator

Just the top 18" or so of my Greystone is fading also. What's the factory solution to those who have the same problem. Do you just have the upper portion painted? Otherwise your getting into the graphics if you paint the whole front cap.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I don't know what the deal is but we are at the Ron Hoover's Oasis RV Park in LaMarque Tx and there are several Big Countrys and Greystones here and almost all of their front caps are faded. Some more so than others. They are all new units. Looks to me like maybe there is a problem with that Gray color because the white front caps don't seem to be that way. Just an observation.

Kind of makes Heartland look bad when you can see a new Greystone with a faded front cap sitting next to grey Open Range with a front cap that is all nice and shiney.

Last edited:

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Jim, how is the place looking now that they moved the boats out? Love to see a rally there someday. Say hello to Bryan and Willie for me.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Jim, how is the place looking now that they moved the boats out? Love to see a rally there someday. Say hello to Bryan and Willie for me.

It is really looking alot better. They have moved almost all of the boats out of the RV park now, the laundry is up an running, the pool table and a small crap table are in the old sales office, the kitchen is available to use, there is a weight/workout room upstairs, the RV parts has been moved out to the back room of the building, the sales office is in a small room off to the side, and the RV park manager, Stacey has moved her office upstairs too. There is now a sitting area and they are not finished. I talked to Dan Foulkrod about the RV Park and he is very supportive wanting to see more RVers come in and ready to have some Rallies here. I told him you cannot have the Rallies without the facilities to handle them. He understands that and is working very hard to be able to handle them. Since it only takes 10 minutes to be at all of the Galveston activities, (15 to the cruise terminal) and 20 minutes to NASA, Kemah Boardwalk, 35-45 to downtown Houston, fishing is here (both salt water and fresh water) and shopping is close and the Dog racing track is only 10 minutes away. This park is in a very attractive location with enough to keep you busy for a long time.