Winterizing Valve

Jwain

While preparing to wintrize my Big Country fiver, I pulled the antifreeze intake hose out of the utility compartment and the plastic elbow fitting that connects to the brass "Winterize" valve broke and I am unable to remove the threaded nipple that remains in the valve. Any ideas on how to remove the remaining portion or do i need to replace the valve? It is threaded but it seems to be glued in the brass valve.

57chevyconvt

I have experienced the same problem. I used a Dremel tool with a 1/8" grout bit to cut two slots in the remaining PVC nipple, 180 deg. apart, then used a large blade screw driver to remove the broken nipple. I tried to use that tool that noted by the above post, but the tool would not removed the broken glued in nipple. I ended up replacing both three-way valves and the PVC nipples. The three-way valves that are supplied on all the HL 5th wheel trailers are from B&B molders. There is very little brass stem to plastic handle engagement, therefore the recess in the plastic handle will fail due to the amount of break away torque that is required to unseat the ball. See my thread on 3 way-valve problems and replacement with Apollo three-way valves.
I replaced the PVC fitting with brass fittings. Problem solved.

aatauses

I had the same problem---I used a knife to cut into the plastic, being careful not to damage the brass threads. Once I had cut it, I used a pair of needle nose to grap and twist out the plastic fitting. I then went to hardware store and they did not have any brass, but looked at my plastic and mentioned that they had a more rugged plastic fitting so I put that in and have not had any issues. I later found several brass configuations in the pex section of hardward stores.
al

branson4020

Icantre Member
If the nipple remover tool refuses to grab the inside of the nipple, you can heat it with a propane torch until its hot enough to soften the plastic and it will definitely do the job.

57chevyconvt

If you are talking about heating the valve body, be very careful with the heat because you can easily destroy the TEFLON ball to body seating/sealing material.

branson4020

Icantre Member
If you are talking about heating the valve body, be very careful with the heat because you can easily destroy the TEFLON ball to body seating/sealing material.

I was talking about heating the end of the extractor so it would bite into the plastic better. Some of the cheaper extractors dont have much of a bite.