Drain Hose on Dometic Refer in 3055 Bighorn

jdfishing

The plastic drain hose which runs from the defrost tray inside the refrigerator to the outside access door is falling apart. Is this an easy replacement, and if so, what's the best way to approach it?

jimtoo

Hi jdfishing,
On mine and most likely yours also,, the tray inside the fridge under the cooling fins where the water drips will pull out of the fridge. I would remove all the old plastic stuff you can from the rear and then pull the tray out. I used a piece of clear vinyl tubing I had that fit the tray drain tight, pushed it through the hole and reinstalled the drain tray... I then tie strapped the hose away from the heater and burner area and to also keep the weight of the vinyl hose off of the plastic tray nipple of the fridge and I put a dab of sealer on the side of the little screen that keeps the bugs out, because it did not fit the hose real tight. Now all is well.

Jim M

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
You would think dometic could spend a few cents more to get a hose that won't fall apart in less than 3 years. I guess they have to cut corners to keep the high price under 2 grand. (or whatever the price is)

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Hi jdfishing,
On mine and most likely yours also,, the tray inside the fridge under the cooling fins where the water drips will pull out of the fridge. I would remove all the old plastic stuff you can from the rear and then pull the tray out. I used a piece of clear vinyl tubing I had that fit the tray drain tight, pushed it through the hole and reinstalled the drain tray... I then tie strapped the hose away from the heater and burner area and to also keep the weight of the vinyl hose off of the plastic tray nipple of the fridge and I put a dab of sealer on the side of the little screen that keeps the bugs out, because it did not fit the hose real tight. Now all is well.

Jim M

Jim, did you have to apply any sealer to the hole where the tray feeds to the outside of the box? I'll probably have to replace mine next season since it's already broken to the point it barely makes it out of the vent cover.

That hose really is a fine example of under-engineering a product.

jimtoo

Jim, did you have to apply any sealer to the hole where the tray feeds to the outside of the box? I'll probably have to replace mine next season since it's already broken to the point it barely makes it out of the vent cover.

No John, I did not use any sealer. My big tray drips into a small drain that goes through the back and it fit tight enough that I did not use any sealer. I don't think it would hurt to use a little sealer.

Jim M

Birchwood

I was able to replace with a clear plastic tube and a hose clamp at the connection on the
drip tray.Access was at the upper hatch on the outside to the trailer.No wonder DOMETIC
fridges are burning up with parts like this!

Wharton

Dometic...............I don't remember the details any more, whether we just heard about it or we received a letter.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
They did have the one for the heat shield, but I don't recall seeing or reading about one (on their website) for the hose.

Wharton

We had ours replaced by our dealer in Feb/Mar 2011, took about 30 minutes and the entire refrigerator had to be removed and put back. Took the dealer 1-2 weeks to get the replacement kit.

I found an old email to my dealer about this. It was on the Heartland Forum but I can no longer locate it. This is all I have.

Attachments

• Drain line recall-001-1.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 29
Last edited: