Will Truck with 2 inch lift cause Road Warrior to sit high?

cwhittle

Thinking about getting a Road Warrior 385rw and I am worried that my truck might sit to high. I have an 2002 F250 4x4 with a 2" lift and 285r16 tires. Is there anyone with the same set?

lwmcguir

I had to add air bags to bring the front of the Augusta up with the 2005 F250 CC 4X4. Your rear end is going to drop at least two inches or more. Be curious to see what others have seen.

mmomega

AnyTimer
I doubt a 2" lift will cause any problems.

There are so so many people towing with an F-Series truck. All 4X4 F250's have a 2" block on the rear, 4X4 F350 Duallys have a 2" block on the rear and 4X4 F350's have a 4" block on the rear.

The rear of the truck will drop an inch or two at least if you have not added any other type of suspension upgrades which usually levels them out if not sitting a bit lower depending on the pin weight of the trailer.

If by chance it does happen to sit high in the rear which I doubt, you can just move the pinbox on the trailer.

DW_Gray

With all that has been said above, I'd be cautious of the bed side rails. If you try to lower the 5th wheel hitch to level it up, you may encounter damage to the side rails during sharp turns. And it is especially worse if you are turning with dips in the road. Been there, done that. Costly damage.

After thought: Oh, I should add that I didn't have a lift either.

Last edited:

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Thinking about getting a Road Warrior 385rw and I am worried that my truck might sit to high. I have an 2002 F250 4x4 with a 2" lift and 285r16 tires. Is there anyone with the same set?
When you get a chance take a measurement of your truck ( top of bed rail to the ground), post it so we can give you the correct answer to your question.

cwhittle

With all that has been said above, I'd be cautious of the bed side rails. If you try to lower the 5th wheel hitch to level it up, you may encounter damage to the side rails during sharp turns. And it is especially worse if you are turning with dips in the road. Been there, done that. Costly damage.

After thought: Oh, I should add that I didn't have a lift either.

That truck your driving sits pretty high already. I looked at a friends truck who has a 2009 or 2010 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4 mega cab and his truck sits about the same as mine. So I think I shoud be fine. I'll keep an eye out for the large dips.

DW_Gray

That truck your driving sits pretty high already. I looked at a friends truck who has a 2009 or 2010 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4 mega cab and his truck sits about the same as mine. So I think I shoud be fine. I'll keep an eye out for the large dips.

I measured mine and it is 56 inches. I guess the question you'll have to answer for yourself is this: Are you prepared to remove the 2 inch lift if it becomes necessary?

One other possible concern you may want to consider that hasn't been addressed. I did a quick check on your truck year tow rating and it may be too light for the RW. I recommend you read the article, Before You Buy - It's not rocket science and check the Ford towing guide on the site as well.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
It measures 59" from the ground to the top of bed rail.
Wow...that is HIGH, my 08 250 4x4 w/ 20" wheels sits rather high @ 56". I had to raise my Sundance 3" to be almost level. (making both truck and 5er level).
Let's add 6' min. for bed rail clearance to the bottom of your 5th wheel overhang 59" + 6" = 65". Now you have a number to work with and hopefully some one will post-up the height of their RW or find one on a sales lot.

mmomega

AnyTimer
One other possible concern you may want to consider that hasn't been addressed. I did a quick check on your truck year tow rating and it may be too light for the RW. I recommend you read the article, Before You Buy - It's not rocket science and check the Ford towing guide on the site as well.

Wow, yeah I didn't even think about looking at the weights.

I just checked my Ford source book (earliest I have is the 2003) an F250 rear axle is rated for 6830 lbs.
The hitch weight of that trailer is 3,300lbs as is.
The GVWR of the truck is 8,800 lbs and so if the truck weighs more than 5,500 lbs as soon as you add that pin weight it's technical overloaded. Pretty sure by quite a bit too after fuel, passengers, extra stuff in trailer.
To each their own but I'm sure it will be way overloaded.

cwhittle

Well it worked just fine. With about 70lbs of air in the airbags the truck and unit sat
level. The truck did a great job pulling it also.