North Trail Caliber Edition

CliffP

New to this forum and shopping for a North Trail 32BUDS. We were also looking at some Forest River TTs but want to watch Nascar Races from roof. Can anyone help us with pictures and info on the Caliber Edition? I'm told upgrades are Caliber Edition, Front Cap and paint and diamond shield. Is anything else included in the CE besides solid counter tops, stainless sink and covers, bike rack/bumper extension, porcelain toilet,power awnings and jacks, and slam latch doors? Is there a door on the bunkhouse or curtain?

jimtoo

Hi CliffP,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully the Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share if needed.

According to the floor plan there is not a door there, but you might be able to add one of the folding doors (curtain type) your self. Or even call Heartland and ask if they can, and work through your dealer if so.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

GOTTOYS

New to this forum and shopping for a North Trail 32BUDS. We were also looking at some Forest River TTs but want to watch Nascar Races from roof. Can anyone help us with pictures and info on the Caliber Edition? I'm told upgrades are Caliber Edition, Front Cap and paint and diamond shield. Is anything else included in the CE besides solid counter tops, stainless sink and covers, bike rack/bumper extension, porcelain toilet,power awnings and jacks, and slam latch doors? Is there a door on the bunkhouse or curtain?
I know North Trail shows an ad with a bunch of people standing on the roof in its' brochure. I don't think any RV manufacturer would advise using the roof for what you describe. The rubber membrane is pretty thin and easy to damage. Anytime I have seen people on the roof of an RV they were standing on a platform that was made for this and attached to the roof. I would check with Heartland Customer Service and see if this is advisable before purchasing it if this is an important criteria for buying it. The same would hold true for any other brand as well. JMHO...Don

CliffP

My wife and I were between a Rockwood 8312ss and North Trail 32BUDS. We talked with a Rockwood dealer and he said no problem the roof is fine for that. He also told me one of his customers tore his membrane (Rockwood's is vinyl to save weight) by using the "wrong chairs". I mentioned that on a Forest River forum and someone told me the roof wasn't meant for that. I checked with another dealer who contacted a factory rep who's reply was "Fully laminated roofs are very lite weight by design, but ours has a ladder opt. and will hold people for their maintenance needs. They are not made to hold 10 of your friends to watch a Nascar race."
One of North Trail's ad says
"Talk about Strength! The NORTH TRAIL’s Laminated Roof is not only strong enough to walk on, it’s strong enough for you and your friends to watch the race from!" but I will call the dealer and have them check with their NT rep to be on the safe side and post their reply. Thanks Don, these forums are awesome. I'd sure hate to find out the roof wasn't meant for that at a race.

GOTTOYS

My wife and I were between a Rockwood 8312ss and North Trail 32BUDS. We talked with a Rockwood dealer and he said no problem the roof is fine for that. He also told me one of his customers tore his membrane (Rockwood's is vinyl to save weight) by using the "wrong chairs". I mentioned that on a Forest River forum and someone told me the roof wasn't meant for that. I checked with another dealer who contacted a factory rep who's reply was "Fully laminated roofs are very lite weight by design, but ours has a ladder opt. and will hold people for their maintenance needs. They are not made to hold 10 of your friends to watch a Nascar race."
One of North Trail's ad says
"Talk about Strength! The NORTH TRAIL’s Laminated Roof is not only strong enough to walk on, it’s strong enough for you and your friends to watch the race from!" but I will call the dealer and have them check with their NT rep to be on the safe side and post their reply. Thanks Don, these forums are awesome. I'd sure hate to find out the roof wasn't meant for that at a race.
Rather than asking the dealer..I would contact Heartland Customer Service with your question. The dealer is trying to sell it to you, in many cases they might stretch a little to make the sale, if you know what I mean. If something gets damaged as a result of doing this Heartland will have the final say on whether to warranty it or not...JMHO..Don

pegmikef

My North Trail 26LRSS roof is very sturdy, but it has the standard Dicor rubber roof and I don't think I would want folks walking around on it or especially chairs on it for fear of puncturing or tearing the rubber. I think the caliber edition is an upgraded North Trail with paint, laminated floors, fiberglass cap in the front, maybe a little cabinetry, but other than that I don't know.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Also note the roof on these rigs have an arch, they are not flat. I'm not comfortable enough to stand up and walk on ours, due to the slope.

E

CliffP

Talked to customer service. The roof is covered by warranty for up to 1500#s. The roof membrane would NOT be covered if it was torn. We're not sure what we'll do for the race, thinking about getting tickets for the grandstand. I also talked to Heartlands sales manager for our region. He is going to work with us to coordinate a factory tour when they are finishing the build on a 32BUDS. If anyone has a Caliber Edition or pictures of please let us know. The bunkhouse only comes with a curtain. Thanks to everyone for their help!

RuralPastor

Hey Cliff,
We purchased a 2011 Caliber in March. Since then we've spent over 80 nights and traveled over 10,000 miles from Canada to Texas to Wyoming (and everywhere in between). We've pulled through crosswinds, headwinds, and tailwinds of 50 MPH (or more). Our trailer has been a great investment. Every trip we take assures us we made the right decision. Aside from a few accessories and improvements, nothing has been done. The tire (a frequent lament on this forum) look like brand new--and we've hit nearly every pothole imaginable along the trail. Our appliances work great, no water leaks (except the outside shower--and, at 50 years of age I don't shower outside anyways)! We added some vent covers and a fan upgrade in the bathroom, a new mattress, and some cosmetic/functional improvements, but other than that---nothing. Just go write the check for that Caliber and enjoy your family. A picture of mine can be seen on my avatar. Hope this helps. Mark

olyfire

We have the 32 BUDS North Trail 2011. We actually took delivery in April of 2010. The other trailer on our short list was the Forest River.
I just got done cleaning the roof today and although it has a good solid feel I wouldn't want lots of people walking on the membrane.
We travel a great deal and love our unit. We had our few problems when it was new but everything was fixed and Heartland was great to work with.
The trailer pulls so nice you almost forget it's back there.
We have 9 grandchildren and the bunk area is really great, but when we are traveling alone the extra room is nice to have.
We did put 3 foot deep drawers under the dining seats, opened the area under the stairs to the bunk for a closet and put drawers in the holes on each side of the bed.
I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Heartland unit.