Our beloved North Trail 32BUDS was stolen.

btgemail

Forum members,

I'm writing here because of the recent theft of our RV. We had is stored in a facility that advertised their security and reliability. When we were going to pick it up for a weekend of camping with friends, it was gone. The owners of the RV storage lot were not that helpful and haven't contacted us with the results of the review of their security cameras. The police have listed it as stolen, but apparently don't work weekends to follow up on theft reports. We're frustrated and very disappointed - not to mention pretty ticked off.

Although we had a good lock on the tounge, we recommend getting the biggest you can afford. Ours had a lock, but it's still gone. Also, please check all of your exterior locks to make sure they're in working order.

Sincerely,
Brandon

Attachments

• 034.jpg
    034.jpg
    422.1 KB · Views: 98

zeus7625

I see from your profile that you are in TX. Is that where the RV was stored? I just left mine in a storage facility 6 hours away (we are coming back in a month) that advertised security and reliability and I'm starting to worry. I'm in AL. Good luck in your attempt at recovery.

RollingHome

Brandon, sorry ABOUT the theft. Ask the police or district attorney to get the tapes from their security system. If not they will record over them and they will be lost forever. In addition, many places advertise they have state of the art security BUT it was broke when your unit was stolen. The fact they are not being helpful makes one think many things - the old saying "Not being part of the solution is being part of the problem" comes to mind. Your insurance carrier may offer or want more too, if you have not contacted them it may be wise to do so ASAP. I WISH YOU WELL.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Wow, what a awful thing to come into a storage lot and your trailer not being there. It upsets me just reading your heartache. I am sure you are devastated. I am sorry of your pain and hope your baby shows up soon and not hurt in anyway.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Oh Brandon! So sorry to hear about this!! We will keep our eyes open for it (we are in Terrell, so in the NTX area.)

We had our basement broken into at our storage facility, so I know they aren't as safe as you might think.... But to take the whole rig, that did have a lock on it? Wow, there has to be some record of that on a camera somewhere!

We have a neighbor that had a bumper-pull trailer stolen. Turns out drug dealers stole it to make meth. They did get caught and he got his trailer back.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Brandon,
Thats terrible news about the theft of your trailer. As a long-time Police Detective, I can tell you that it is pretty unusual for a trailer to be stolen, especially one with the security measures that yours had on it and the security cameras at the storage lot. Don't hesitate to call and follow-up with the Police Dept. and make certain that they know about the tapes at the lot so they can get them.

Good luck.

jimtoo

HI Brandon,

Since it was reported as stolen, how about giving us the license number or any thing else that would help us recognize the North Trail. Did you have any emblems or painting on the side that would set it off from others?

Jim M

Sandpirate69

Brandon,
Sorry to hear about your rig. As jayc, in his post said, get the video from the lot. Also, look at the surrounding businesses. Most have cameras because of property theft or other types of reasons. Most business owners are willing to help. The reason I tell you to go & check is because some Detectives or Police Departments have a large case load. By the time they get to your case, some of the leads can fade away and therefore they would most likely sign off on it and move to the next case. Please understand that not all departments have the manpower to allocate for auto thefts and things of that nature. I was a Detective for 12 years and we didn't work too many auto theft cases unless they involved a shooting or death related incident. Bottom line do a little detective work yourself and it may payoff. Please post a photo of your rig. We get many here in S. Florida. I will post it on our autotheft web, as well as the neighboring counties.

Ivan

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We are so sorry for your loss. Hopefully they (the police) can find it soon.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Time is of the essence when obtaining the video from security cameras. Some will automatically record over every 24 hours and some longer. So it is important to act quickly. BTW even though they have a contact saying they are not responsible many courts still hold them responsible so check with an attorney. Also be certain the law enforcement agency has entered the theft (the vin and vehicle description) into NCIC (National Crime Information Center) and TCIC (Texas Crime Information Center). By entering the vehicle into NCIC/TCIC if any agency checks the vin or license of the trailer it will (or should) come back reported as stolen. The quicker this is done the better. When I was a Police Officer I recovered several stolen trailers from deer leases and this is just about the start of deer season in Texas so..... Good luck in recovering it.

PS Let us know what the license plate is so all of us Heartland Owners can be on the lookout for it

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Brandon, that's a real bummer. I can only imagine your frustration. Not being able to get any support makes it even worse. Hopefully your insurance is quick to respond in the event it's not recovered.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The video from the lot will probably prove to be next to useless. It was when ours and a dozen others were broken into last New Year's Eve and all the TV's were stolen. Since the police have listed it as a stolen vehicle, just get on your insurance agent to file the claim and get it replaced. They'll deal with the police report, the storage yard, and any other actions needed. For our two TV's and some entry damage, our agent (Foremost) told us to buy the replacement TV's and get the damage fixed. They sent me a check for the TV's after I sent them the invoice and dealt directly with the repair shop (our dealer) to repair the damages. You do have full replacement coverage, don't you?

CliffP

Sorry to hear about your camper Brandon! Hope your insurance company takes good care of you. Makes me wonder if some sort of GPS tracking system might be a goo investment. Quick question for current or former Police Office: if someone tried registering a stolen camper or using a plate from another camper, could they get away with it. What would have to happen to catch them? Is the registration for a camper normally checked see that it matches the camper if someone is pulled over?

Marge

All who wander are not lost.
Oh I'm so sorry to hear about this. How awful for you and your family.

Somebody is probably using it for a meth lab out in the boondocks, I don't think it was stolen by somebody who planned on camping. I only say this because this has happened where we live.

btgemail

Thank you all for your condolences. The storage facility finally called us to let us know when the trailer was stolen. A blue chevy truck with no license plates entered a code to get in to the facility and had our trailer stolen in less than 10 minutes. The storage facility did call the police and they supposedly took copies of the videos, but still have not called us back. All of your suggestions were right on target and I've done the large majority of what y'all suggested. Right now, we're waiting on the insurance to let us know what to do from here. We've submitted all of our claim forms along with pictures. Apparently, all we can do now is wait.

For those of you that do store your RV's at storage facilities, please make sure you're not in "a blind spot" for the video surveillance and visit your RV frequently (we did visit frequently, just not enough, I guess). Also, don't load your RV with supplies until the day you're leaving. We've lost blankets, sheets, towels, dominoes (my grandfather's), camping chairs/hammocks, etc.

Take care and we'll keep you updated!

wdk450

Thank you all for your condolences. The storage facility finally called us to let us know when the trailer was stolen. A blue chevy truck with no license plates entered a code to get in to the facility and had our trailer stolen in less than 10 minutes. The storage facility did call the police and they supposedly took copies of the videos, but still have not called us back. All of your suggestions were right on target and I've done the large majority of what y'all suggested. Right now, we're waiting on the insurance to let us know what to do from here. We've submitted all of our claim forms along with pictures. Apparently, all we can do now is wait.

For those of you that do store your RV's at storage facilities, please make sure you're not in "a blind spot" for the video surveillance and visit your RV frequently (we did visit frequently, just not enough, I guess). Also, don't load your RV with supplies until the day you're leaving. We've lost blankets, sheets, towels, dominoes (my grandfather's), camping chairs/hammocks, etc.

Take care and we'll keep you updated!

I guess this makes me feel a little better about the big bucks I pay for "Valet Indoor Storage". I have to call, identify my rig, and the storage guys bring it out with a forklift. This is all besides a very good security camera system, motion detectors inside, a building access vehicle door that is only open business hours, and keycard gate on the perimiter. I can drop the rig off on their pad after hours, or they can leave it outside for me, but the it is normally inside. That's also good for the finish and tires, too. They also wash it and dump after trips.
BTW, did you have a 5th wheel pin lock?? I can't use mine in storage because of the forklift transfers, but use it when I am parked at a campground for a while.