Screen Door Plexi panels

Westwind

Has anyone made Plexi panels for their screen doors?
During our winter stay in Florida we like leaving the door open and had made Plexi panels so we could keep the AC on or furnace for that matter on our TT. In looking at the screen on our 2012 Bighorn the frame looks thiner than our old trailer but it also looks like their is a spot I can almost insert a thin plexi. If you did it wonder what methods you used to secure them?

GOTTOYS

I saw somewhere that some were made out of a soft clear plastic and held on with Velcro. Easier to store and looked great....Don

jnbhobe

I have seen some that some members have made that are permenent, and they work real good. Materials cost about $50 bucks at ACE hardware. I used the same material but I cut strips of Velcro and attached the plexiglass with it so I can remove it if need be.

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
I used the clear plastic from either lowe's or home depot, and used small stainless steel sheet metal screws and some flat stainless steel flat washers to hold the plastic in place. Placed the screws thru the washers and put them around the edges of the plastic.

JJnLilly

I took advantage of the extra grove in the door and installed 'slip in' sections of Plexiglas. Because I wanted to be able to remove them I made a custom piece for the top where the door frame is curved and installed it semi-permanently. The panels just bend slightly and pop into the side groves. I use pieces of screen beading to help hold the panels in. In our Greystone it sure helps to have the extra light in the kitchen area. We will even run the A/C with the outer door open. The door is very tight as you can feel the resistance if you try to shut the outer door without the slide section by the handle being open.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We have used Lexan in the screen doors for the last 3 coaches. It's pretty ez to do using the grooves in the door, have a sharpie to mark with, score the Lexan and then use needle noise pliers to snap the scored areas and securing with stainless steel screws. A friend of ours took the screen door off and took it to a local glass place which put the Lexan in but it was kind-of expensive but looked really good.
We like having the extra light coming in both in cool, or hot weather.

Westwind

I was wondering if anyone had taken advantage of the extra groves and flexing the plexi into the grooves. I think I'm going to try that since I put them in and we never take them out, if we want fresh air we open windows, we really like having the door open when we have the AC and heat on and in the past on our previous TT it worked well. It's too bad that a manufacturer hasn't put together a door that comes with the plexi that can be removed and installed when you wanted them.

jjwink

We bought Lexan from Lowes. They will cut it for you for the bottom. We had the top part cut as a rectangle and then used a Dremel to cut the top curves. We used the extra groves and plastic screen tabs to hold them securely. Love having the door open - especially while in AZ.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Yes - use the grooves to help secure the Lexan.
As for HL having the option of obtaining a solid door, they are a little behind the times. A couple of other manufacturer already offer this option and one brand has it standard on their top line.

Westwind

Completed the plexiglass panels for the screen door, this was easier than I thought. First set I made was for our previous TT and I had to drill holes for the clips that held the plexiglass in place. With the grooves on the screen door I was able to cut the plexi to fit in the grooves and use screen beading to hold it in place. It actually came out quite
good and without the clips it looks ( Professional ). Thanks to everyone for your input and advise.

I just completed mine. I measured the door and had Ace Hardware cut the plexiglass to size. The upper panel rounded corners I cut with a hand held jig saw running at
slow speed. Sanded the cut edge and attached both panels with 3/4 inch white velcro from WalMart.