Your Dream Satellite TV System

funntheson

If money were no object (that would be nice) , what would your satellite tv system for your RV look like? Please give me your top 1-3 choices.

Thank you.
Larry

branson4020

Icantre Member
First, it would cost nothing. Second, it would require no antenna and no setup. Third, it would have perfect reception everywhere. Now, what were you really asking? :eek:

funntheson

First, it would cost nothing. Second, it would require no antenna and no setup. Third, it would have perfect reception everywhere. Now, what were you really asking? :eek:

Funny, but not specific enough. Please provide the names and model numbers of this terrific, free system.

branson4020

Icantre Member
Its a "dream system." But seriously, what is your question? There's only 2 providers out there. They both have questionable customer service, and approximately the same products and prices. The 3rd party equipment boils down to automatic or manual aiming, fixed or movable dish. Pick your desired system.

funntheson

Its a "dream system." But seriously, what is your question? There's only 2 providers out there. They both have questionable customer service, and approximately the same products and prices. The 3rd party equipment boils down to automatic or manual aiming, fixed or movable dish. Pick your desired system.

I didn't think I made the post that confusing. Yes, there are really only 2 service providers, therefore most of the variation would be in the hardware. What is the easiest to use? What is considered the best? etc.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Actually there is another option. You can get a receiver for Free to air Satellite. All you have to do here in the US is not get caught. Not sure but in Canada it is not suggested but don't think it is against the law.

BC

Zonian

I recently bought winegards' Carryout Automatic portable satellite tv antenna....I think it's the greatest...so far!!

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
If money were no object? I suppose either of the providers would work. I would have 2 HD-DVR's and a compatible carry out dish dish antenna. I would have both east & west coast network feeds or the option to do my own locals by being able to go to the providers website and reseting my location so I could get "Local" locals wherever I'm at. No calling for some CS person to change locations.
As far as a program package. maybe HBO & Cinemax. Not a huge sports follower so no need for nfl or nba packages.

Delaine and Lindy

We have used the Tri-Pod system which is hooked to Direct-Tv. We did option for a Traveler 3 by winguard and its roof mounted and is fully Automatic, push one but and it will automatically locate and lock on to all the Satellites. We have HD TV in the living area and the bedroom (40" LED and 19"LCD). We don't have a DVR, we use Netflex and have no premium channels, we in the past had DNC for severals years, both East/West however thanks to the FCC we are no longer get East/West DNC's. For many years we did have the Tri-Pod system and have set up the Dish for many years. I would never want to go back to the Tri-Pod, roof mount is the way to go.... I know there are several who do get the DNC's, I refuse to have to different systems with Direct-Tv, I could get all Channels if I would get two different accounts, I will not do that. I really don't like or listen to mass media news..... I do recommend the roof mounted dish system. I do take the Tri-Pod and Dish when we travel, in over 2 years I have only had to use the Tri-Pod one time. We try very hard to never park under trees, which in my opinion is a hazard for a RV. Happy Trails....

jbeletti

Interesting thread. Since we're just dreaming, here's my dream system:

RECEIVER
  • 3 tuners - this would allow for taping 3 programs at once or use each tuner independently on each of up to 3 TVs at once
  • 3 HDMI outputs
  • 3 component outputs
  • 3 RF outputs
  • 2 TB internal HDD
  • USB port that is compatible with HDDs with any capacity
  • Smaller receiver with less heat generation
  • 3 RF remote controls
  • Input for off-air antenna
  • Integration of off-air signals and integration of those channels into the guide
  • Logic that can deploy, aim and peak motorized Winegard batwing off-air antenna
ANTENNA
  • Roof mounted - auto-aiming
  • Feed horn / LNB system that works on Direct/Dish/Bell systems with minor reconfiguration but no additional parts purchase
  • 6 identical outputs
  • Large enough to further minimize rain fade (maybe 1.5 meters and with perforations to minimize becoming a sail in the wind)
  • Super-ruggedized gearing to minimize movement in winds
  • Incorporation of 18" fiberglass WiFi and 3G/4G cellular antennas that are deployed at the top of the dish
  • Available in colors (white, grey, tan and black) to better blend with coach roof
COACH
  • Shelf depth and width in entertainment center and in bedroom that will accomodate the largest of any brand/type of satellite receiver
  • AC and DC power receptacles at above locations and in storage compartment just inside door side baggage door
  • HDMI cable from TVs in entertainment center and bedroom TV location back to receiver locations
  • All 6 dish outputs terminate in the UDC into 6 numbered F81 jacks
  • 3 coax runs from entertainment center terminating in UDC into 3 numbered F81 jacks
  • 2 coax runs from bedroom receiver location terminating in UDC into 2 numbered F81 jacks
  • 2 coax runs from storage compartment just inside door side baggage door terminating in UDC into 2 numbered F81 jacks

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Only Jim could break it down into such minute detail....LOL! Gotta love him...what a "techie"....

funntheson

interesting thread. Since we're just dreaming, here's my dream system:

receiver
  • 3 tuners - this would allow for taping 3 programs at once or use each tuner independently on each of up to 3 tvs at once
  • 3 hdmi outputs
  • 3 component outputs
  • 3 rf outputs
  • 2 tb internal hdd
  • usb port that is compatible with hdds with any capacity
  • smaller receiver with less heat generation
  • 3 rf remote controls
  • input for off-air antenna
  • integration of off-air signals and integration of those channels into the guide
  • logic that can deploy, aim and peak motorized winegard batwing off-air antenna
antenna
  • roof mounted - auto-aiming
  • feed horn / lnb system that works on direct/dish/bell systems with minor reconfiguration but no additional parts purchase
  • 6 identical outputs
  • large enough to further minimize rain fade (maybe 1.5 meters and with perforations to minimize becoming a sail in the wind)
  • super-ruggedized gearing to minimize movement in winds
  • incorporation of 18" fiberglass wifi and 3g/4g cellular antennas that are deployed at the top of the dish
  • available in colors (white, grey, tan and black) to better blend with coach roof
coach
  • shelf depth and width in entertainment center and in bedroom that will accomodate the largest of any brand/type of satellite receiver
  • ac and dc power receptacles at above locations and in storage compartment just inside door side baggage door
  • hdmi cable from tvs in entertainment center and bedroom tv location back to receiver locations
  • all 6 dish outputs terminate in the udc into 6 numbered f81 jacks
  • 3 coax runs from entertainment center terminating in udc into 3 numbered f81 jacks
  • 2 coax runs from bedroom receiver location terminating in udc into 2 numbered f81 jacks
  • 2 coax runs from storage compartment just inside door side baggage door terminating in udc into 2 numbered f81 jacks

...wow!...

danemayer

Also need integration of TV output, Satellite Receiver, DVD and/or BluRay Player Output to surround sound.

I suspect the Satellite Receivers all support optical audio but with all the various combinations of TVs and surround sound amplifiers, getting audio hooked up is challenging.

If the DVD player is part of the surround sound unit, how do you connect BluRay, TV, and Satellite into the surround sound? Probably don't have enough connectors, much less compatible sets. Some engineering thought required here.

Crumgater

My dream system would be a low-profile roof mounted, auto-tuned HD DirecTV dish... but they don't make them.
Besides - we like to camp under trees, so roof-mounted is problematic... but, when we camp we're not really interested in watching TV - we'd rather watch the camp fire (we use the dish in the football stadium parking lot... no trees there). We'd still want a carry-out option just in case. But again - with HD.

We love DirecTV. Been with them since 1997. We've always had great customer service. Had a relative go with Dish - and their CS was terrible. She's now with DirecTV and very happy.

We use a Dave-Designed carry out stand for our dish. Fully flexible for leveling, with easy setup and customizable, so every time they come out with a newer dish, it's easy to upgrade. It takes Dave less than 10 minutes to find a strong signal - no matter where we are. It works for us.

-T

Theresau

I guess I need to add to this - this is something we've been working on this summer. We're getting pretty close to our dream (esp. now that Joe's figured out how to set up the satellite dish - did it in about 15 secs last trip :)).

TVs:
Living Area: HD with at least 3 HDMI outputs at least 40" - came with our Bighorn.
Bedroom: Ditto with at least a 26" TV - we added this post-purchase of Bighorn.
Basement: Ditto with at least a 32" TV. We have only a 20" now.....
Dream would also be TVs with built-in streaming capability (Smart TV).
Satellite dish: Directv satellite dish on the roof that provides HD (currently this does not exist) - we have an external dish that provides HD - very easy setup. One output would suffice with a splitter.
Receivers: Dream: a single HD DVR receiver that can be accessed by all three areas - Reality: we currently have two separate HD DVRs and a HD receiver for the basement. Directv offers a single DVR set up but it must be networked and a receiver would still be needed in the other rooms. Advantage of a single DVR would be not having to set up recordings more than once.
Blu-Ray DVR: One for each TV.(We have one in the Living Area and in the Bedroom and they can be used as a streaming player as well).
Antennae:
Digital with output for each TV area. Bighorn has this.
Tape Player: For the old tapes.
Streaming Player: Roku player for each TV. (We have one - need to be able to watch Glenn Beck...it was interesting using this wirelessly at Wild Cherry RV.) I didn't have much luck with the Blu Ray streaming player capability.
RV Docking Station: Three inputs for satellite dish: Living Area, Bedroom, and Basement (Bighorn has 2 now but Directv installed a splitter so we ran another line to the basement.)
RV Entertainment Center: Enough space for 5 components: DVR, Sound, Blu-Ray,Tape (we still have some tapes...), Streaming. Enough wall outlets to handle these. Satellite and Antennae coax hookup. Space for DVDs and tapes. These came with hour Big Horn - we have the rear entertainment center.

Regards,
Theresa

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
Jim - you have enough ports, dishs, plugin's to be able to watch every channel known to man & alien. I just want to watch tv without setting up my tripod! Not sure every rv heartland model would need all the above wired in, but sure would make a nice option if it was an option for a fee for those that would want it. Or, maybe they could run the plastic conduit and people could easily run their own wire.