Does Size Matter :)

readytohitheroad

My better half and I own a 2011 Dodge Dually w/ turbo cummins diesel.
We intend to purchase a Cyclone 40 footer of some variety

Do we have a need to purchase a bigger truck?

I have seen the posts about the truck calculator

Am seeking real world input

Thanks in advance

Scott and Laura

jimtoo

Hi Scott and Laura,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share if needed.

I would think you would be fine with your Dodge. But I will let the other owners chime in here.

I am moving this to the Towing area for more response.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

lwmcguir

You can tow any HL product with a 3/4 ton TV. If you want to tow leagal then use the on line calculator that the forum member maintains. Works great and you can see what you will need to be withing the weight limits. You will find that a minimum of a 1 ton TV properly equiped is most likely required for that size unit.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We pull our 40' Big Country 3650 with a dodge 3500 single rear wheel truck. You just have to use common sense when pulling any coach.

Moose

We pull our 40' Big Country 3650 with a dodge 3500 single rear wheel truck. You just have to use common sense when pulling any coach.

So you are saying . . . . . it's not the size . . . . . it's how you use it? The tow vehicle, right? LoL

Here is a link to Dodge towing specs.

http://www.ramtrucks.com/shared/pdf/RAM_2500_3500_Trailer_Tow_Chart.pdf

Check out Dodge Bodybuilder and you can find the tow ratings for your truck.

http://www.dodge.com/bodybuilder/year.pdf

It's not so much of a problem towing the RV, it is more about stopping and control of the RV.

JimandSina

I have a 2008 Dodge Ram 3500, Diesel, Dually and pull both our 2009 Cyclone (42') footer and our 2011 Landmark San Antonio (41 footer), the truck handles either one with little effort, although I did have to give up drag racing Corvettes with the Cyclone attached. good luck...