New pin box coming

yepuhuh

After a lot of research we decided to put the mor-ryde 1621hd 18,000 pin box on our big horn.

There is a lot of discussions on here and with the help of Tom at Tweety's we finalized the deal today. I plan to have it installed prior to towing for thanksgiving.

Any of you have any gotchas or uh ohs with this pin box let us know.

I'm hoping to to keep the shroud on the pin box with minor altercations! :)

ncc1701e

If you have a torque wrench and a buddy intalling the pin box is pretty simple. It took my son-n-law and myself about an hour to remove the old pin box and install the mor/ryde. Now modifying the shroud took me considerably longer. But I got there also. Biggest issuse with the shroud was I had to heat it to get it to remold to shape. The mor/ryde while bolting to the same holes does have just enough angle difference to make the shroud a little more of a challenge. At least it did on the Sundance. Mor-Ryde King Pin.jpgMor-Ryde King Pin Bench Picture.jpg The manual that comes with the pin box tells you how much to torque the bolts. I resused all the mounting screws on the underside of the shroud to the trailer. Not wanting to drill holes in the pin box for the front of the shroud, I actually used two long pieces of velcro to secure the front part of shroud. To date, I've pulled to over 5000 miles and the shroud has never even tried to come loose from any wind. Just in case some is wondering if the velcro would really hold. In the first picture, you can see where I had to take a Dermel Drill and make some modifications to the shroud because of the difference in the widths of the two pin boxes.

GOTTOYS

I installed my Trail-Aire by myself after pulling it off to make some adjustments. Loaded it onto the tailgate and set it a bit higher on a couple wooden blocks. Then I used the front stabilizer jacks on the trailer to raise and lower it to get the pinbox lined up. Worked really well. I'm thinking you'll like that Mor-Ryde. Never heard a complaint on them yet....Don

Speedy

Mine arrived a few days ago from Tweety's and I'm just waiting for a helper to become available. I think I'll be leaving the shroud off until next year so that I can spend a day reshaping it to fit. Big thing now is to get it installed prior to turkey day trip.

yepuhuh

Like I said a lot of great ideas.........I'll be looking at modifying the shroud as well...Have Dremel will cut but only after my wife draws where the lines are so she can't complain when it gets done!

RollingHome

The best way to cut the plastic shroud is aviation snips, it cuts easy, sort of like thick roofing material or rubber. A heat gun will allow it to be formed differently (to an extent).

Speedy

Tom, That's a great tip using the snips. I'll try that because I can't cut anything straight or square with a Dremel.

porthole

Retired
It would be nice if someone came up with a shroud that fit. I have yet to see one modified that looked better then not having it at all.
But if you mess yours up, I know several of us have them sitting in the basement. I think there were 4 or 5 At Goshen earlier this year at the swap table.

RollingHome

I would suggest putting masking tape on your shroud where you "think" it needs trimming. Then take a black fine line marker and draw a line where you believe it needs to be trimmed or cut. Finally, use your avaition snips and trim on the taped black trim line you sketched earlier. Go easy, a little at a time. It's easy to take more but impossible to add :)

yepuhuh

I surprized myself with my dremel tool. I made it a custom fit and I will take a picture tomorr for all to see how it is cut. It was tougher than I thought it would be. Next is I need to run a bead of caulk at the seams .

Attachments

• 2011-11-08_12-35-30_472.jpg
    2011-11-08_12-35-30_472.jpg
    494.1 KB · Views: 47
  • 2011-11-08_12-35-36_495.jpg
    2011-11-08_12-35-36_495.jpg
    611.8 KB · Views: 46
  • 2011-11-08_12-35-47_628.jpg
    2011-11-08_12-35-47_628.jpg
    409.2 KB · Views: 45
  • 2011-11-08_12-35-56_623.jpg
    2011-11-08_12-35-56_623.jpg
    343.3 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

porthole

Retired
Well that doesn't look too bad. Maybe I'll try cutting mine up. Nothing to lose, it is only taking up space in the basement anyway.

mmomega

AnyTimer
Doesn't look bad at all but I'm still thinking about the 5th Airborne over the TrailAir.... oh decisions decisions.
I'm sure the shroud would fit it better anyway, for some reason the DW is quite attached to that thing and doesn't want it removed.

Speedy

So now that we have all removed our 1621 pin box and replaced it with the MorRyde or maybe the 5th Airborne or TrailAir; what the heck are you going to do with the 1621? I have tripped over it twice in the garage and I am not one for keeping stuff that really has no use anymore. I did check Craigslist to see if there were any for sale there but nothing.

Hate to just give it to the scrap yard. The only thing I have thought of to make use of it is to cut the kingpin and surrounding mounting plate off of the box in order to make a lifting point for hitch removal. Please keep in mind that this is idea has yet to pass the hairbrain stage.

GOTTOYS

I'm saving mine in the hopes that my next trailer, if and when that should happen, can use my Trail-Air and I'll sell or trade the one I have now in with the std 1621 on it...In reality I'll probably trip over it a few more times and give it to the junk man...Which reminds me, I have a Super Glide capture plate that fits a 1621. Porthole from this forum very graciously gave me his Trail-Air capture plate in exchange for a case of beer. I don't drink much beer anymore..so if I can pay it forward, I'll be happy to give this capture plate to anyone that wants it. I'm not real hot on shipping it so try to get something figured out..Don

TomMar

Retired Texas-South Chapter Leader
Doesn't look bad at all but I'm still thinking about the 5th Airborne over the TrailAir.... oh decisions decisions.
I'm sure the shroud would fit it better anyway, for some reason the DW is quite attached to that thing and doesn't want it removed.

JD- We put the 5th Airborne on our KL and only minor trimming was needed for the shroud.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I guess all y'all with "luxury" rigs have a larger overhang of the front cap. Our shroud wouldn't cover the 5th Airborne without showing a large amount of the part that's usually underneath the "nose", and a few screw holes, too. It looked tacky. So we sold the used shroud on ebay, got $99 for it! :) So our pin is nekked -- except for the big winged 5th Airborne logo on the top of it.

Took the old pin to the scrap metal yard. Got less than $10. :(

E