In Motion Satellite for Trailer and Truck?

funntheson

First off, let me set one thing straight, I am mechanically challenged, but that doesn't stop me from having good ideas, it's just the implementation part that requires assistance.

I don't know if this is possible, but I also don't know why it wouldn't be possible. Is it possible to get an in motion satellite receiver for our 5th wheel, and to somehow wire it to our tow vehicle for on the road entertainment?

I look forward to your responses as I would like to get something set up by the end of the year.

Thanks.
Larry

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
Is it possible to get an in motion satellite receiver for our 5th wheel, and to somehow wire it to our tow vehicle for on the road entertainment?

Thanks.
Larry

I don't know but when you figure this out please let me know. Maybe I'll watch TV for 3/4's of my trip instead of sleeping!

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
I do know that in most cases, being able to view a laptop or TV from the drivers seat is illegal.

Urban350

The dish will work, the hardest part would be wirring it to the tow vehicle and then into the backseat. Something tells me it would be easier to mount it on the truck but I think it would look a little weird. You would also need somewhere to mount the receiver and tv.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
You would also need an inverter for the receiver's power.
The scenario could be. In motion satellite to the receiver in the 5th wheel. An RF Remote control for use in the truck. Coax run from the receiver in the trailer to the truck plugged into the portable little tv. Limitations are possible for the remote control.
It seems like it wouldn't be really worth the trouble. Just go for portable DVD players or something similar.

funntheson

You would also need an inverter for the receiver's power.
The scenario could be. In motion satellite to the receiver in the 5th wheel. An RF Remote control for use in the truck. Coax run from the receiver in the trailer to the truck plugged into the portable little tv. Limitations are possible for the remote control.
It seems like it wouldn't be really worth the trouble. Just go for portable DVD players or something similar.

We have portable dvd players. I am just dreaming.

Larry

larryanddonnakeever

Past Oklahoma Chapter Leaders (Founding)
I am sure you could get a satellite dish like Motor coaches have. Then go to some place like Best Buy talk to one of the electronics Geek Squad guys and tell him you will pay him to come out and hook it up.. I had a friend that did that with a home entertainment center.. Those guys are usuall very good at hooking those things up, They don't make real good wages and are looking for extra money.. He can tell you what material you need, you buy every thing and pay the labor...May work out. Good luck.. We have audio books when we travel very intertaining. There are good selections. You can rent them at Cracker Barrel then return them at another one.
Larry and Donna Keever with Buddy the Schnauzer
Oklahoma City, Ok.
2010 Ford F-350 FX4 Lariet 6.4 Diesel Transfer Flow Fuel System 75 Gallon
2011 BigHorn 3585 RL
Life Member Good Sams Club
Leader Oklahoma Chapter HOC:angel:

crazybanshee

We have our inmotion on the truck so we can watch on the road. The coax from the 2nd LNB go back to the camper for the second receiver.
Doug

caissiel

Well that's out of my league.
Lately the radio is usually off and the GPS lady is muted.
I prefer the quiet time in the truck while driving.
I find it much more relaxing and concentration is about my driving and the noises the trailer and trafic does around me..