Bighorn satelite wiring

NWTFHunter

Past Missouri Chapter Leaders
I have a 2007 3055 and am trying to get it set up for satelite reception. Currently working with the dish and receiver, have run coax directly from dish to receiver to check them. My question is after this is working I need to connect the coax from the dish to the BH. I have a copy of the schemataic from the forum and thus my question. In my exterior center there are two coax connectors, I assume one runs to the roof if needed there, the other goes to the living room. The schematic shows a switch in the living room and I have seen this in a friends BH but mine does not have anything like this. Behind my TV there is a plate with two coax connectors, one labeled "cable" and the other not labeled. There is coax running from the one connector to the TV and this has worked for over the air and cable so I know it works. I am assuming the other blank one is for the satelite feed to my receiver. If so can I have both feeds conected to TV all the time? Below my desk, at floor level, there is a wall plate with the telephone jack and a coax connector, any idea what that would be for?

P.S. my owners manual does not even have the word TV or satelite in it so no help there.

danemayer

You need to connect the inside coax connector to the coax input on the satellite receiver and then connect the receiver video out to the TV input. Depending on what type of connections are available between receiver and TV, you may be able to have both connected at the same time and just switch inputs on the TV menu.

If both the receiver and TV have HDMI connectors, that would be the best choice to connect both video and audio. Another choice is to use the commonly found yellow/red/white RCA phono type connectors. They work ok for standard definition TV signals, but not as well if you're getting High Def Video.

Trying to run coax from the receiver to the TV, combining it with the antenna coax, might work. You'd probably tune the TV to channel 3 when watching satellite, and tune the antenna channels directly with the TV tuner.

Depending on your receiver's capabilities, it might also be possible to connect the antenna coax and satellite coax to the back of the receiver and feed both the TV with a single cable.

the sat connections on th 3610 re bhorn, has two sat connections one for living room and one for bedroom. What type of sat dish will work with both and with both I mean my husband and I don't watch the same programs at the same time and I need my space. Can anyone help?

danemayer

It's more complicated than what dish do you need.

First, to watch 2 different programs at the same time on 2 different TVs you need a dish that has at least 2 coax connections. One goes to the living area and the other to the bedroom.

If you have satellite at home, you may be planning on taking your receivers with you. If so, that answers the next question, which is what service you have: DIRECTV, DISH, or something else.

So if you have DIRECTV at home, and you bring your receivers with you, then you need a dish that's compatible with DIRECTV, and has at least 2 coax outputs.

If your receivers support high-def and you want high-def in the RV, the dish also has to support high-def. There are a lot of dishes that support standard definition only. Some support high-def on DISH but standard-def on DIRECTV.

Then there's the question of setup of the dish - manual or automatic aiming. Automatic, with high-def, can be expensive. Manual can be difficult.

A lot of people like this Wineguard automatic dish. It supports 2 receivers, and can do high-def for DISH, but only standard-def for DIRECTV.

There are less expensive dishes that require manual setup. This is a DIRECTV dish that supports up to 4 receivers, high or standard-def. To use it you need to also get a tripod or other mounting gear. Setup may require some practice, especially for high-def.

Pizzaguy

It is very easy to set up either Dishnetwork or Directv in the 3610. We just switched from Dish to Direct last fall. As long as your antenna is a dual feed with Dish, or you use the four way switch with Directv. Bedroom and living room each have their own receiver.I found that it is easier to set up the Directv HD dish than the Dishnetwork standard def antenna. When you decide what service you are going with we will sure walk you thru it.

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
the sat connections on th 3610 re bhorn, has two sat connections one for living room and one for bedroom. What type of sat dish will work with both and with both I mean my husband and I don't watch the same programs at the same time and I need my space. Can anyone help?

It's not the dish that dictates what you can watch on each TV. You must have a Sat Reciever Box from your provider hooked to each TV in order to view different programming on each one.

Hooking them up, the cable from your trailer coax connection by the TV will go into the auxiliary coax input on the back of each box. The sat connection by the TV goes to the sat input and the sat output goes to the TV for each box. Make sure the antenna power amplifier is off! Hooked up this way, you can hook both cable and sat up in the UDC and switch between the two simply by turning the sat box on and off!

Ok so I get the slimline with HD for Directtv. If I mount it on the roof how is it getting a signal when we're camping with trees? Should or could we mount it on a tripod? I'm getting a little confused but that's pretty easy. Thanks all

Pizzaguy

If you got the Slimline dish for Directv,get a tripod that will accept a 2" mast. You can get a regular tripod for use on a house or there is a very nice heavy duty setup at tv4u.com. I like the tripod idea so you can move it if there are trees in the way. I mounted my switch/splitter in the UDC and ran one cable to the living room and one to the bedroom jacks at the UDC. Connect your cable fom the antenna to the input on the splitter and then hook up living rooom receiver to that tv and bedroom receiver to bedroom tv. Depending on which receivers you have, you may need a power supply which I hooked up to the cable between the living room receiver and coax wall jack. With Directv's new HD receivers I had to have the power supply to make them work.A satellite finder is also nice to find the signal the first time you set up and then use the on screen menu to fine tune it from there.Hope this helps.

danemayer

I mounted my switch/splitter in the UDC

Pizzaguy, what splitter are you using that works with high-def Directv? I thought only the SWM setup supported splitter for high-def (other than the one built into the LNB).

Pizzaguy

The SWM is what I am using. Had a brain fart when posting and couldn't think of what is was called:confused:

Pizzaguy

We have the power source in the UDC also,but I chose to plug in the power unit near the receiver in the living room. This way it in plugged into a surge protector and out of the way from water fill/city water hook-ups and remains there all season.

wdk450

Debbie and All:

You DO NOT need a" seperate receiver box at each tv".

Some satellite receiver boxes have 2 receivers inside and support 2 TV's with 1 receiver. This is done with a somewhat complicated wiring scheme known as "backfeeding". It involves the fact that the incoming signals from the dish and the outgoing signals to the bedroom TV are on widely different bands of frequencies and therefore can be split up or added together by special splitters with frequency filtering networks. My signal path is as follows: Dish signal feeds back to the UDC where it is fed into a splitter and goes up to the entertainment system through the "satellite" cable in the Bighorn. This cable actually carries BOTH the dish signal and the bedroom TV signal. This combined signal is tapped out of the "Satellite" jack behind the living room TV and is sent to the satellite receiver through a splitter which splits the dish signals from the bedroom TV feed. This goes into another special splitter for the 2 satellite dish signal inputs into the receiver. The receiver has a 2nd TV output signal (I program this for cable channel 73) that feeds into the splitter at the back of the receiver mentioned before, up to the UDC through the trailer's "Satellite" cable, to the splitter in the UDC, and into the Bedroom cable jack.

This is wiring setup is a mirror of the dealer-installed setup at my home. I bring my receiver from home and install it in the trailer when I go RVing (along with my 2nd TV and the 2 remotes). The bedroom remote works on a radio signal system, and the satellite receiver actually has a small antenna to pick up the remote signals. I bought a RVing dish and tripod to use.

I am on Dish Network.

danemayer

You DO NOT need a" seperate receiver box at each tv".
Bill, if you could provide a drawing and details on the splitters and receiver model # it would be more likely others could benefit.

Also would be useful to note if this configuration supports High Def and if you can record and playback to either or both TVs.

Will this stop the bedroom tv from being fuzzy? We also have on e box. Living room tv is perfect but bedroom amd storage comp. tv are both fuzzy. Thanks for any help.