Landmark - Roof Repair

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
While backing into a camping spot here in St. Petersburg, FL. yesterday, neither Carol nor I saw a tree trunk that was growing almost parallel to the ground and I backed right under it putting a good size scrape and tear in the roof membrane. It's about 18" long and 4 to 5" wide. It also tore off the vent cape for our washer/dryer hookup. Thank heavens it scratched but did not damage the front cap.

I got a mobile repair service to come out and he patched the damaged area with some rubberized repair tape, then caulked all around the patch. He told me this was a "temporary" patch that would last 6 to 9 months but I would need to have the entire roof membrane replaced to correctly fix the problem.

I just sent an e-mail to Heartland Customer Service asking these same questions, but in hind sight I probably should have asked all of you first.

#1 Is the repair guy correct that I should replace the whole membrane to correctly fix the tears.

#2 The camper is in Florida. Is their someone down here who can do that kind of repair properly or should I look to take the unit back to Goshen/Elkheart?

As all of you who know me, know, these next two months (up until Dec. 25th) are extremely busy with my North Pole duties. I really would like to get it repaired while I'm not using it, but we are slated to come back to Florida the first of January to help Jim out at the Tampa RV Show.

Any "education" you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Keith

branson4020

Icantre Member
Re: ATF: Landmark - Roof Repair

Keith, if the tech used Eternabond tape and did a decent installation job, I would think its a permanent fix and you don't need to replace the membrane.

pegmikef

I don't know because I did basically the same thing with mine. I had a long tear and some of the rubber missing. When I asked the insurance adjuster if they could patch it or would they replace it. He said they didn't do patches because they hadn't had any luck with that and only replaced the entire roof. They paid for the replacement on my North Trail and a friend of mine with an SOB fiver just went through the same thing and they replaced his as well. I would think that the insurance carrier would cease to have any liability for any subsequent damage to the coach because of leaks, whatever (just my opinion). I qualify this by saying that thiese two instances are the only ones that I have experience with. My insurance carrier is Farmers, and my friend's is State Farm. Both claims were hassle free.

I just took mine to a local RV repair contractor that specializes in insurance claims and does several roofs a month (trees are a really common problem for roof damage)

danemayer

If you have collision insurance on the RV, put in a claim. You may be amazed at the cost of a new roof.

DougS

Doug S

I did the same exact thing about 8 years ago. I bought a repair kit from CW which came with cement and I just went over the tear. I then went around the edges with roof caulking and feathered it in. The repair lasted for years and was good when I sold the TT. I am not sure though if CW still sells a repair kit.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member

The Eternabond is designed to repair things like minor roof tears such as yours. It is a permanent fix. Also you do not have to take the RV to Elkhart for a roof replacement or repair. Any reputable RV Repair shop can do it. As others have stated if you have insurance that will cover the damage file a claim and let the insurance replace it.

klindgren

Thanks for the information. I'm not sure if the repair guy used Eternabond or not. The only reason I say it is a temporary fix is because that's what the repair guy said. I also need to get the vent cap replaced. The repair guy just taped in on to keep rain out. If it not that difficult to do, I may try to get it fixed by Camping World while we are at the Tampa RV show. We are staying right next door at Lazy Days so it would be relativly easy. I guess we'd just have to stay in a motel for a couple of nights....Or, if I can convince Carol, maybe we should just by a new rig at the show...Yeah, Right, like I could really talk Carol into that.

Rodbuster

Hello Keith,
I feel bad for your roof damage.
What is the name of the campground where you got the damage?
We just got back yesterday from Fort DeSoto Park in St Petresburg. The sites there are beautiful but many of them have low branches. I had to jockey my rig around to fit under a couple of these low branches.

I was going to mention Lazydays for your repairs, but it was just mentioned on another post.

Good luck to you.
Rodbuster

klindgren

Rodbuster,

We were also at Ft. DeSoto. Site 153 over in the pets allowed area. It was just one of those things. If I had been just a couple inchs more to the left I would have missed the branch completely. We checked on the way out and had no clearance problem more to the left. Right now we are in the Maderia Beach KOA getting the camper ready for a couple months storage. We'll be back the first week of january.

Hello Keith,
I feel bad for your roof damage.
What is the name of the campground where you got the damage?
We just got back yesterday from Fort DeSoto Park in St Petresburg. The sites there are beautiful but many of them have low branches. I had to jockey my rig around to fit under a couple of these low branches.

I was going to mention Lazydays for your repairs, but it was just mentioned on another post.

Good luck to you.
Rodbuster