2006 Silverado 1500 Towing Capacity

JeremyN

Hey Everyone,

Got a question for you all. My Dad is going to be buying a new truck and he currently has a 2006 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab Z71. He bought it new and it currently has about 44,000 miles on it. I have a 28BRS North Trail that I currently tow with a 2000 GMC 1500. I am thinking about buying his truck from him because his towing capacity should be higher than mine. I have a 7800lb towing capacity, but his I believe is around 9100lbs.

First off, am I correct on the towing capacity of my Dad's truck? I have a feeling that it would better handle my camper than mine currently does.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Little to no differiance with the same options and same care. His may be better because it's 6 years newer and may break down less. If it was 3/4 ton i'd say go for it.

JeremyN

Little to no differiance with the same options and same care. His may be better because it's 6 years newer and may break down less. If it was 3/4 ton i'd say go for it.

Do you really think there won't be a performance difference? My dad has a stronger and more powerful 5.3L than I have in my truck, plus he his higher tow rating. We both have 3.73 gear ratios in the truck. Right now, pulling my trailer I am withing 150lbs of my tow rating. I would be under by over 1000lbs if I got his truck. Does that really not make a difference?

I only ask these questions cause I truly want to know. If this wouldn't be an upgrade in towing for me, I don't want to do it. Just thought I would get a bunch of information from all you experts out there before I approached him about it.

Thanks.

GOTTOYS

It's going to help for a couple reasons, the chassis will be fresher because it has fewer miles, it has more horsepower. I don't think the difference will be huge...It takes more than horsepower to tow. It's still a 1/2 ton truck. You will notice an improvement but nowhere near as much as you would see if you stepped up to a 2500 series truck. It's your Dads' truck...why don't you hook up to it and give it a try?....Don

caissiel

A 1/2 ton is a 1/2 ton and to me it will be no difference. It might be rated higher but who follows those ratings. Here I see people pulling trailers that I would never hook a 1/2 ton on. I would say you will be ok as the rating is higher and some of the mechanical parts of the truck will be better.
But gas engines might be different due to the newer GM able to torque at lower RPMs. But not quit a 6.0Liter that has a flat torque curve.

RollingHome

Jeremy, NO ONE on any forum can give you a true definitive answer without seeing, inspecting and trying your truck. That being said ALL posters gave you sage and correct advice. There are so many flannel shirt campfire experts on this subject that it is entertaining. In my opinion Don (GOTTOYS) gave you the best advice, hook your dad's truck up and try it. My opinion, westxsrt10 also makes an excellent point, it's newer by 6 years so goffer it !

In the end here's the poop, the tow ratings from GMC are not cast in stone they are "suggested", where to start numbers. Ditto for Ford & Dodge. By "helping" your suspension you can boost your towing experience. However, in the end the weight you tow is allowed by the law. It depends on what class, weight and state you register your truck in. Let me give you a wild, goofy example. I live in Pennsylvania (PA). In PA if you have a 1/2 ton (1500) GMC truck you can register it with a class 25 sticker for $1,600+ per year. This allows you to LEGALLY tow 80,000 pounds ! Yeah right, as you know the tranny and other "stuff" would explode ! ALSO "IF" YOU GET INTO AN ACCIDENT ALL BETS ARE OFF ! The BIG 3 rate their trucks depending on where their competition rated theirs. The best advice was given by Don, hook your truck up and go for a ride, ditto for your dad's truck. Let your common sense tell you what to do. Once you do this - you will know what to do.

DMitch

JeremyN, there were a few years that GM made what they called a 1500HD. I am almost sure that it was rated for 8600lbs. And the 2500's were rated at 9100 lbs. Is your Dad's by chance one of these 1500HD's.

Netem

I'm pretty sure the 1500 HDs had the 6.0 motor so his Dads would'nt be the HD. I used to tow a 30 ft sob with a Z71 and it did fine but a 2500 has more power, bigger brakes and a better trans. Like everyone else said if possible hook up to your Dads truck and give it a try you're the one that has to be happy with how it tows and stops.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Jeremy, get out the owner manual in your dads truck and read what the ratings are. Just make sure you do it by engine, diff ratio, tow package, etc,etc. Its simple and easy. Then compare it to your 2000. IMHO, the 06 will work just fine.

JeremyN

Thanks for all the comments everyone. I do agree with hooking my Dad's truck up and seeing exactly how it will pull it. The next time he is up by me, I will try and hook it up to see how it does.

Overall, I think it will be an upgrade from my truck. I just have to figure out if it is worth the money or not. The more and more I think about it, the appeal to get a 2500HD comes through more and more. I will let you all know what I do though. I guess it depends if Dad is going to give me a deal on the truck or not..... J/K :)

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Looking at the GMC information, the newer (2011) models can be EQUIPPED with a max. trailer package that will take them up to a 9100 lb. rating. But with something like a 3.42 axle on them. You need to find the trailering specs. for the model year you're looking at to be sure. The rating for a standard 1500 without any extra goodies is still 7100 lbs.

JeremyN

So, my Dad stopped over today and I looked at the owners manual in his truck. I guess that I was wrong about the rear end gear. In his manual, they have the line highlighted that shows he has a 3.42 rear end in his truck. According to the manual, with this rear end, his towing capacity is 7,700lbs. My current truck has the 3.73 rear end in it. If I would hook up my Dad's truck to my camper and start pulling it down the highway, what difference am I going to see with his 3.42 rear end vs. my 3.73 rear end?

I know you all said to just hook it up and try it, but I had to put my camper away in storage already for the winter and I cannot get it out until April, so unfortunately, that option is out.

Thanks.

Sandpirate69

You will see a great difference when pulling. With 3.42 your transmission will strain a bit to get up to speed because the power curve/torque curve is a lot higher. With the 3.73 your power curve/torque curve is lower, therefore getting your TV & Trailer moving much easier. Lessm strain on your power train. I still have a 2002 2500 HD with a 6.0 L gas with 4.10 gears. I move a 37' fiver loaded at 16K. No problems, but the rear end gearing will dictate how much the TV will pull.
I hope this helps, even if you get that truck with the 3.42 a ring gear swap won't break the bank. It will just give you a newer truck with much better pulling power.

Ivan