The Shakedown Trip Apr 05

HTWT

HTWT
Well, we finally took the shakedown trip in our new Bighorn 3400RL and all in all it was GREAT! We love the unit but as usual we learned a few things. The weather was fantastic for New Mexico this time of year, a little windy but the trailer held it well.

After years of pop-ups, last year we bought our first travel trailer, a 25 footer. We liked it but it was a little small for us. I remember our first trip out, we learned the do’s and don’ts as well as breaking our necks to watch the TV at night. Well, this year with our new 5th wheel was no different. Hooking up went purposely slow, we needed to make sure we followed the steps. When we got to our destination, we also took our time setting up. It went quicker than we imagined it would, we were done before we knew it…and we could watch the TV without looking at the ceiling…I can get used to that!

It got down in to the 30’s at night, our first big learning experience was the remote control HVAC system…thanks to the dealer it didn’t take us long to get heat…just have to master that thing now. I’m not sure about the ducting however, it “pops” loudly…have to get that checked out. A few hours after we were there I noticed that the fridge was on gas, not electric, checked the controls (auto was on), fuses and circuit breakers, all was well, have to get that one checked out also. We had plenty of gas so we weren’t worried, the fridge did just fine.

I think I would like to put up one of those battery operated lights in the lav, when we used the bathroom when someone was sleeping the overhead light shined right in the eyes of the sleeping person (she said it didn’t bother her). Having a soap holder in the shower is a must, thought we had the trailer level but the soap would not stay on the ledge (we had to get one in the TT also).

We found a few small cosmetic things, we’ll work on them as time goes on. Can’t wait until our next trip, not scheduled yet but as soon as I can get some time off, we’re gone. :)