New Member -some pretty basic questions

rjmiv

We are getting ready to purchase a Bighorn 3400RL and a 2007 Dodge 3500 Laramie Quad Cab 4X4 LWB H Pkg. The truck will have the 6.7 liter Cummins Turbo 6 speed automatic and the 3.73 Axle ratio. (Single wheels)

I feel pretty confident that this combination will work but would really appreciate any input or comments from others with experience with this or a similar combination.

Some basic questions: should I get the 4.10 Axle ratio?
Are single wheels ok (much easier to drive around when not hauling) - or do you recommend a Dually?

Any special warnings or considerations for either the Bighorn or the truck. We expect to be 80% fulltime.

Thank you,

jpmorgan37

From my experience, I highly recommend the dually. Your 3.73 should work just fine, unless you plan to do extensive mountain running in 7 to 8% grades, then you might consider going to a 4.10. You'll do better overall on fuel economy with the 3.73.

John

DougLynne

retired Alberta Chapter Leaders
We're towing our 3055RL with a 3500 5.9 Cummins and 3.73 gear and having no problems what so ever. Pulls as easy as our old 97 Designer 31', which was lighter. Getting 11 to 14 MPG from Montana thru Missouri to Indiana so far.../Doug

Forrest Fetherolf

rjmiv,

The engine and tranny setup with a 3.73 will be more than enough to handle the 5er. There are many different opinions as to running a dually or single rear wheels. I prefer single rear wheels for the same reason you stated. It has been proven that duals will not stop you any quicker. Some say that duals will provide more stability, I'm not sure about that.
The real deciding factor is gross weight and law enforcement says tire loading rules. Duals will give you more weight hauling and towing capacity, but not necessarily more brakes to stop.

Before you decide, do your homework to make sure you are properly sized. Member on this forum have similar setup like yours and can give you good advice and weight distribution details.

Good Luck!
Forrest

iefpro01

If you do a lot of pulling - then consider the 4.10. It gives you a lot more oomph. If you do less hauling and much more driving the 3.73 is better for fuel mileage. I do not have the truck you have so I can't comment on it.

As for dually or single - I have never really had any problems with the single axle. Not sure how they could give more stability since the real pivot points are in the same spot - the connection of the truck to the axle. It does distribute the weight across a broader tire area - thus helps with tire to ground weight restrictions as mentioned by Forrest.

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
Excellent choice on the Bighorn. Congratulations on your purchase.

Regarding the TV - I'm sold on the Dodge.

I had a 2003 Dodge 3500 CTD quad cab with the 3.73 SRW and after getting weighed at the rally last year, I decided for my own piece of mind to get more truck as my GCVW was only at 21,000# and I was 22,525#. The only way to increase it without going to a MDT was to order a 2006 CTD with the 4.10 rear axle. I also fell in love with the MegaCab and decided with the pin weight I would be carrying that DRWs made more sense for me.

I occasionally drive for the local Dodge Chrysler dealer and had the opportunity to drive a 2007 with the 6.7l CTD and the 6 speed automatic and it is really sweet. In addition, it had the Jake brake. I loved that truck.

I can always upgrade my truck to the Jake brake, but that transmission should give you the economy you need regardless of the rear axle ratio, so my advice would be to go with the 4.10 and consider the DRWs as well.

Have you tried a MegaCab? Everyone thinks that the room in one just can't be beat. I love it.

osims

bsims
I am pulling my 3055 with 6.7 dodge with 3.73 gears ,it is a great combo.I have DRW because the truck is used all week to haul tractors, cattle trailers and such. If i were only pulling the 5er on weekends and short trips i would probably go with SRW. The DRW does have more stabity because you have more rubber on the road , kind of like having outriggers, but it is expensive at new tire time. You will love the tranny and exhaust brake.

tdharley

I have had both singles & duals

2001 Chevy 1500 Avalanche
2002 Chevy 2500 Avalanche
2004 Ford F350 Single
2007 Chevy 3500 Dually

I will tell you I fell much more stable with the dually.

Empty, it rides pretty rough. With the extra width; parking, narrow country roads,and drive though teller machines are a challenge. No automatic car washes. Six tires to buy instead of four.

Also, If singles were better then why are ALL semi-tractors and larger truck chassis (including motorhomes) equipted with dual or even quad rear tires?

Common sense tells me that 4 rear tires on the ground must be better than 2 ??????

This is a firecracker subject, as bad as Chinese tires.

Some of the above was copied but are my thoughts exactly

Forrest Fetherolf

tdharley,

Check out this photo, Catalina Ready Mix Concrete doesn't believe in your theory that 4 tires are better than 2. That looks like a very big and heavy truck.

Forrest

Attachments

• T003.JPG
    T003.JPG
    242.2 KB · Views: 133

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
Forrest, I see two tires in the air and two on the front, but I sure can't tell what I am seeing on the back, except that if they are singles, there are two axles to spread the weight over.

C

Chulinw

The wedith of the tires are something else. They sure can handle the load that the cement truck has haul. They are common in Florida also and they are good to drive through the soft sand and the truck doesn't get stuck very easy. I know that I feel better having a dual rear wheel to carry the 5er with and feel safer in my mind. The only draw back is when you come to toll roads they sure do charge you more for the dually. I found that out up in the Northeast and Canada. I guess that is the price I have to pay and accept.

HappyKayakers

We chose the '06 3500 CTD with SRW, 6 spd manual and 3.73 to pull our 3600RL. As fulltime workampers, we think that's the best combo for us. The last time we weighed, we were slightly over on truck GVWR but under on all axles. Since we only move the 5er a few times a year, we like the srw for a daily driver, better fuel economy, lower tire replacement cost. Pulls fine although we have NOT been in the mountains with it yet. We're adding a MOPAR exhaust brake before heading back to Florida. Our route takes us through Monteagle, TN where they have runaway truck lanes on the interstate.

tdharley

The back is a cement pumping unit.

There are 4 tires on the back of every loader. As a matter of fact when I get cement loads, if the site is uneven they have an additional set of tires that are hydraulically lowered for even more traction.

Uncle Rog

Howdy, in Cal the axles are lowered for weight distribution and to keep the rig legal with the third axle.............

iefpro01

I owned and drove several different types Semi-trucks for many years. Most of the time we are talking 80K to 120K loads. My tractor's alone weighed more than my TV and 3655RD together. My family has been in the trucking business since it started. The primary reason for duals are for weight distribution to the pavement and tire, not stability. Example when you go to Michigan you will see that most of the trucks have 1-8 more axles than similar trucks through out most of the rest of the country. Why weight distribution - not stability... I only bring this up to state that I have some experience in this area. Now ask your self why you see the trucks with extra axles taking them off the ground when unloaded nor lightly loaded... Because of cost in two areas. 1) tire replacement, 2) fuel cost.
It is physics guys - the real connection is between the truck body and the axle (visualize this for minute and you will understand where I am going) this is where the majority of stability begins and ends. The wider that connection the better, also the hardware used and distance to ground should be considered. Yes there maybe an increase in stability (small amount) in the axle itself on a dually - but that is greatly reduced once it travels through the connections to the truck itself.
Now your weight capability goes up with an extra set of tires, both legally and in truck capacity. That’s the real gain for Dually's. With all that said: "if you feel safer with dually's then get them".

jcd8822

Joseph
We have the 3055 RL and pull it with a 3500 Dodge dualy because of the weight distribution factor and a little more stability. Our previous truck was not a dualy and it did not seem to have the stability of a dualy. Both trucks were 6 speed manual, but on this dualy we also added the vacumn exhaust brake a.k.a. "Jake Brake" which also helps.

Joseph

They are a supper single tires rated the same as two tires they are 8 " wider the normal tires, they use them on trucks to save on extra weight.
Cyclon Todd