Rubber Roof Material

Smokeater

Can anyone tell me what type of rubber roof material is used on a 2010 Bighorn 3580RL. I would like to reseal the corners andends. There are many types of sealants, but are recommended for certain types of rubber!

Thanks in advance, Smokeater

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
I believe it is a EPDM rubber and you use would decor sealant. Below is a PDF file I have saved.

RV Rubber Roofs​

The Truth AboutEPDM Rubber Roofs!​

EPDM Rubber:What it is and why it lastsso long.Proper Care:What manufacturers actuallyrecommend.WATCH OUT! For RV productsthat can damage EPDMrubber & void your warranty!How to keep your EPDMrubber roof clean & lookinglike new.​

Overview​

EPDM is one of the most versatile and long lasting materialsever manufactured for outdoor exposure. Most RV Industryexperts consider EPDM rubber roofing membrane the mostdependable, most cost effective and easiest to maintainroofing material there is. Yet today’s average RVer is delugedwith information, a great deal of it misinformation.Consequently, RVers are spending millions on unneededproducts, many of which can be harmful to EPDM rubberroofing.This Public Service Announcement details the truth aboutEPDM and reprints manufacturer’s guidelines on cleaning andmaintaining the EPDM rubber roofing membrane on your RV.If you have questions after reviewing the material, pleasecontact Dicor Corporation, the RV Industry’s largest supplier ofEPDM rubber roofing. Dicor’s address and phone numbersare provided.​

Mis-Information, Mistakes & MoneyPetroleum Distillates...Not for EPDM!​

“HAZARDOUS INGREDIENTS”​

EPDM stands for Ethylene Propylene Diene Monomer. Engineering specifications describe EPDM as “Ideal for outdoorapplications because of its excellent resistance to ultra-violet light, ozone, oxidants and severe weather conditions.”EPDM rubber membrane is made to last 20 years or longer and has a 10 to 12 year guarantee depending on the brand. Theguarantee does not require the use of any protective “roof treatment” or “roof protector” product and recommends only cleaning.Unlike natural rubber (latex) or blends (tire & wiper blades), EPDM does not require periodic applications of any product toprotect it from ultra-violet light or ozone.The statement or implication that you should purchase and apply a product to “protect” your rubber roof from the elements ismisinformation. Buying and using such a product can be a mistake and may even damage the EPDM membrane.Petroleum distillates are incompatible with and should never be used on a number of plastics including vinyl and rubbers,particularly EPDM. Engineering specifications rate EPDM’s solvent and oil resistance as “POOR”. Dicor’s Care andMaintenance instructions warn:​

“CAUTION: DO NOT use cleaners or conditioners containing petroleum solvents, harshabrasives or citric based cleaners. You may cause irreparable damage to your roof.”

Laboratory tests conducted in July of 1996 evaluated the effect of a leading RV “roof treatment” product on EPDM roofingmembrane using standard sunlamp and immersion testing procedures. The “roofing treatment”, which contained petroleumdistillates, caused a 63% mass change (swelling). In the summary/recommendations portion of the lab test the scientists statedthey would not recommend the “roof treatment” and more tellingly noted, “Per the MSDS, this product contains petroleumdistillates, a substance that is known to be INCOMPATIBLE with...EPDM sheeting.”For your rubber roof, for the EPDM seals around slide-outs/pop-ups, in the baggage compartments or for the EPDM door ortrunk seals in your car, petroleum distillates are a huge “​

no no”. And don’t be fooled by names such as “organic solvent”,“hydrocarbon carrier”, etc. Petroleum distillates by any other name should NEVER be applied to EPDM. If you aren’t sureabout a product, contact the manufacturer and have them send you a copy of the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS). Lookunder the section entitled . If it lists any petroleum distilltes, do not use it on EPDM.

Frequently Asked Questions​

A:A:A:A:A:A:A:A:​

Q:​

Is it necessary to protect my rubber roof against UV light?

No.​

What do I need to do to care for my rubber roof?

Periodic cleaning (see Dicor Care & Maintenanceinstructions)​

One Manufacturer told me their roof treatment had only aminor percentage of petroleum distillates, something like20 or 30%. Does the percentage matter?

No. Usually percentages given are based on weight.Since petroleum distillates are significantly lighter thanwater, in reality 30% by weight might be 40% or more byvolume. But the percentage of petroleum distillatesdoesn’t matter. THERE IS NO LEVEL OF PETROLEUMDISTILLATES THAT IS RECOMMENDED.​

If I use a roof treatment product containing petroleumdistillates on my rubber roof, can that void my warranty?

Yes.​

If I’m going to buy a used RV and it has a rubber roof, howcan I tell if the previous owner used petroleum distillatesand damaged the rubber roof? What would the damagelook like?

Two things: First, swelling. Uneven thickness of material.Second, loose areas. Petroleum distillates soak in andcause the adhesive to loosen and the membrane toballoon. Then, when the ballooning goes down, it maynever again adhere properly or completely.​

Is it easy to repair tears in the roof membrane?

Any tear in an EPDM roof membrane can be repaired usinga number of repair methods. Dicor has a prepackaged peeland stick repair kit that works well on small tears (up to 8”),a larger kit that should be used on larger damaged areas,and also rolls of peel and stick material for long, narrowtears.​

Oxidation: My roof seems to oxidize and run down thesides when it rains. What’s going on?

First, EPDM roofing membrane does oxidize slowly; it’ssupposed to. In a dozen years it may oxidize 10% of itsthickness. This is normal. Cleaning at least four times ayear will help greatly, more often if your local conditions andexperience warrant.​

The rubber roofing wraps over slightly on both sides of myRV and you can see it from the ground. What can I doabout this?

Clean the area and treat it with a product that will repelsoiling and is safe for EPDM. One product that performsand lasts well, is safe for EPDM and is commonly availableat RV stores is Dicor’s RP-RG320S product.​

(1)​

Keep your roof clean. Clean your roof at least four (4)times annually. For normal cleaning:- Use Dicor’s Rubber Roof Cleaner ready to useRP-RC320S or concentrated RP-RC160C(See CAUTION below.)- Rinse complete roof with clean water to remove any loosedirt or debris.- Using a medium bristle brush, along with the cleanermixed with water, scrub the entire roof. Rinse thoroughlywith clean water to avoid residue build-up on the roof orsidewalls of the vehicle.- For more difficult stains, you may use Dicor’s RP-RC160C,mentioned above, in a more concentrated mixture.Recommended Dicor cleaners: RP-RC320S (ready to use) andRP-RC160C (concentrated).

(2)​

Beware of areas where fruit, tree sap or harshenvironmental fall-out may stay on the roof for an extendedperiod of time. These conditions may result in unremovablestains. If you are in these conditions, you may have toincrease the frequency of your cleaning or prematuredeterioration may occur.

Brite-Ply RoofCare and Maintenance​

Proper care and maintenance of yourrecreational vehicle, including your Brite-Plyroof, is important for trouble-free performance.Normal maintenance is simple, easy, andrequires no special material.​

CAUTION: DO NOT use cleaners or conditioners containingpetroleum solvents, harsh abrasives, or citric based cleaners.You may cause irreparable damage to your roof.​

Use Caution when working on top of your vehicle.The wet Brite-Ply membrane may be extremely slippery.​

VG 11.20.03​

This Public Service Announcement is provided as a public service by:​

Dicor Corporation​

P.O. Box 1806, Elkhart, IN 46515​

(574) 264-2699 * www.dicor.com

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Not sure if it helps your situation but I know our 2011 Big Country is a TPO and not EPDM roof.