1st Mod to our Bighorn

Westwind

Well competed the first Mod. to the new fifth wheel, we are in the midst of a Indian Summer heat wave and I took advantage of it and completed the install of the bike rack in the front "Not a Gen" compartment. I like the idea of having the bikes away from winter weather elements when we travel to Florida, they use to ride in the truck bed under the bed cover when we had our TT, but with a fifth wheel that all changes. So this is what I did. I got two pieces of slotted angle iron, two arms and brackets from an old bike rack and bolted it to the 1/2 plywood wall between he storage compartment and front empty Gen compartment. Had to brace the angle iron with some 2x3 because of too much side to side movement and used bunge cords to anchor the bikes. Now just have to do some back exercises in order to get the bikes in and out. Downside had to remove the bike tires.

View attachment 16814Bighorn Mod 1 11.9.11 005.jpgBighorn Mod 1 11.9.11 006.jpgBighorn Mod 1 11.9.11 009.jpgBighorn Mod 1 11.9.11 010.jpg

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Sounds pretty good. Can't pull up the attached picture however.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Pretty good thinking. I was a bit lazier than that and just wheeled the bikes into the LR and laid one on the floor and leaned the other against the couch. Of course that only works if you have the room available with the slides in. I needed as much basement and front compartment as I could get so the bikes in the trailer was my best option.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Pretty good idea, but my front compartment has too much other stuff in it...like the disassembled patio storage box we set up on our site. I use a large, clean plastic tarp on the bed and lay the bikes on it, after removing the front tires.

Westwind

Trust me! Now way would my DW let me put the bikes inside of the FW. So I had to come up with another way, I could have had a customized hitch receiver made up for the rear of the FW but then the bikes would be wagging back there and I would have to come up with a cover of some sort. When we travel to Florida in February the roads are covered in road salt and chemicals, the bikes were in the bed of the truck with the TT and covered by the tonneau cover. This way they will stay dry and clean but it's a little bit being bent over to get the bikes in and out, but we do stay in one spot for a month at a time so it will work out. Just have to figure if I can get the tripod in the compartment along with the bikes.
I'm just pleased that everything fit.

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
Just put mine on a ladder rack and save the basement for something else. kIND OF A STUPID THING TO FIND A CURE FOR..........??????????????? Worried about theft..........cable lock! Worried about dirt..............car wash!

Birchwood

We don't travel in snow but still keep the bikes in our basement.Its one thing less you have to worry about
and its a cleaner look.Have to remove the front wheel and seat ,stand them upside down and strap them to
the front wall.Your bikes seem to pack well into the front compartment and its another option for transporting
bikes.